2022 2.3L Slow to shift from drive to reverse | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 2.3L Slow to shift from drive to reverse

My 22 ST-Line was having slow and occasional bumpy shifts. It was low on transmission fluid, and apparently the dealership missed it in the pre-delivery inspection (really wondering if they even inspected anything?). Got it fully filled at about 12K miles and it seems better since... Dealership claimed it came that way from Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That does ___k ..Ford removed the dipsticks from the trans and placed @ the dealerships

12k miles? Must have only been just a bit low.
I had a low oil pressure alert shortly after taking delivery of my 20 Limited, was almost a quart low. Just enough to register on the dipstick but not low enough to trigger the warning.

I've had my 2022 Limited 2.3L 4WD for about a month now and noticed that shifting from drive to reverse is very slow. I always make this change at a dead stop with my foot on the brake pedal. What sometimes happens is I come to a stop, shift to reverse, take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator and the engine revs like it's in neutral. I check to see if it is in neutral and it's not. It can take probably 3-8 seconds sometimes to go to reverse. Once it engaged as the engine reved up and "snapped" into reverse and jumped back as I slammed down on the brake in my driveway.

This happens mostly after driving for a while like when I get home and I'm backing into the garage in a k turn to line up correctly and avoid the obstacles in the driveway.

Thoughts? I've owned 4 explorers going back to the 90s, frequently with north of 200k miles each and never had this happen.
My 2022 Explorer XLT doing same thing. Dealer checked Oasis and found SSM 50529 for harsh shifts. Performed main control break-in procedure for all clutch valves. Cleared adaptive shift cables. Operation is now back to normal.

My 2022 Explorer XLT doing same thing. Dealer checked Oasis and found SSM 50529 for harsh shifts. Performed main control break-in procedure for all clutch valves. Cleared adaptive shift cables. Operation is now back to normal.
They need to add a button on the dash for this..mine lasted about 2 months....before shifting like a high school girl learning how to drive a manual trans..........Let"s Go FORD!

The attachment below was handed to me when I returned to service 30 days after 22r27 recall. Ford is urianting on my leg and telling me it's raining out.

Attachments

• Ford Excuses.pdf
    759.8 KB · Views: 192

My mom's is slow to switch from drive to reverse and/or vice versa, though it's more like 1-3 seconds probably. Ford really didn't seem to do a good job of refining this transmission.
Some kid handed this to me at Fair Oaks Ford In Naperville,Il

Attachments

• Ford Excuses.pdf
    759.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Service History.pdf
    429.6 KB · Views: 136

My 2022 Explorer XLT doing same thing. Dealer checked Oasis and found SSM 50529 for harsh shifts. Performed main control break-in procedure for all clutch valves. Cleared adaptive shift cables. Operation is now back to norma
I dumped my 2020 AWD XLT for a 2021 Limited AWD 3.3 Hybrid and bought the same POS 10R80 MHT trans problems. Back to dealer Next Monday.
I had what you described above done last November it lasted about a month ....same as relearn process.

Good Luck with it.

That does ___k ..Ford removed the dipsticks from the trans and placed @ the dealerships
I don't know what you are saying here... however, our transmissions have dipsticks.

I don't know what you are saying here... however, our transmissions have dipsticks.
I haven't actually had occasion to look for mine but I believe a member posted that, yes, it does have a dipstick but you have to access it from underneath the vehicle in a very hot location. I believe the manual also mentions that there is no dipstick and to see the dealer for any services.
The following is from the 2020 Explorer Manual;
The automatic transmission does not have
a transmission fluid dipstick.

Peter

If you need a GPS to locate or check the trans fluid what good is it.

I haven't actually had occasion to look for mine but I believe a member posted that, yes, it does have a dipstick but you have to access it from underneath the vehicle in a very hot location. I believe the manual also mentions that there is no dipstick and to see the dealer for any services.
The following is from the 2020 Explorer Manual;
The automatic transmission does not have
a transmission fluid dipstick.

Peter
I was the one that posted it before. What you are quoting from the manual is 100% incorrect. It is possible and it does have a dipstick as I stated previously.

I was the one that posted it before. What you are quoting from the manual is 100% incorrect. It is possible and it does have a dipstick as I stated previously.

Thanks for posting this video and thanks for this thread. I had this same issue. Everything was fine for the first 2500 miles or so, then I got the shift to reverse delay. When cold, it shifted fine, but once warmed up, 3 - 5 second delay going from drive to reverse. So, this weekend (at 3300 miles) I checked my transmission fluid level as demoed in the video. I was about 2/3rds of a quart low for my transmission. Went out and drove it after I topped off the fluid and the delay was still there. Left the battery disconnected for about 20 hours to see if it would reset the systems. Nope. Everything was still programed (vehicle settings, garage door opener, radio presets, etc). So, I bought the ForScan and adapter, cleared the transmission adaptations and reset the PCM. Works flawless now. No reverse delay and even shifts better. Very happy with the outcome. Thanks again for the knowledge that is shared here.

Thanks for posting this video and thanks for this thread. I had this same issue. Everything was fine for the first 2500 miles or so, then I got the shift to reverse delay. When cold, it shifted fine, but once warmed up, 3 - 5 second delay going from drive to reverse. So, this weekend (at 3300 miles) I checked my transmission fluid level as demoed in the video. I was about 2/3rds of a quart low for my transmission. Went out and drove it after I topped off the fluid and the delay was still there. Left the battery disconnected for about 20 hours to see if it would reset the systems. Nope. Everything was still programed (vehicle settings, garage door opener, radio presets, etc). So, I bought the ForScan and adapter, cleared the transmission adaptations and reset the PCM. Works flawless now. No reverse delay and even shifts better. Very happy with the outcome. Thanks again for the knowledge that is shared here.
When the dealership topped off my transmission fluid, they also said they reset the computer and it would take ~500 miles for it to take full effect. So give it 500 miles.

Weird thing for me is, I had two oil changes in those first 12K miles. They didn't catch it during the oil changes (I've gotten all service so far at the dealership I bought it at) I don't think they're checking as they're supposed to.

The problem went away for a while but seems to be creeping back a bit (just under 16k now). Going in for an oil change next week and asked my service advisor make a note to check all the fluids.

Best of luck!

Mine had this same exact issue. As well as clunky/delayed shifts and harsh downshifting. I've mentioned it every time I took it in for warranty work. They always updated pcm/tcm and reset adaptive tables. But it continued to get worse. I dropped mine off at my local dealership on June 14 and just got it back last week. They followed the newest TSB and ended up pulling the transmission out and fixing internal components. They also claim they found a broken parking pawl component internally. They also completed another TSB that was described something about "momentarily slips into neutral" which someone kind of described in this thread.

So far, it does drive well. So fingers crossed. I think Ford knows about most of the transmission problems at this point as there are so many TSB's describing these issues. It's just going to be luck of the draw whether the dealership technician is skilled enough to repair internal transmission components.

had same, ask dealer to flash latest software and allow vehicle to re-learn your driving habits.
if problem persists, ask dealer to get factory rep to drive vehicle. they can replace the transmission easily.

I’m having the same problem now with mine, been happening for the past few weeks where it takes about 5-8 seconds to shift into reverse sometimes. Interestingly I had my oil changed (the works package at ford QuickLane) at about the same time I started experiencing problems shifting into reverse. It has 32,000 miles on it now. However ever since I’ve had my explorer it’s shifted hard, both up shifting and downshifting at lower speeds. It’s aggravating to me because I can drive a manual transmission much smoother than this explorer drives due to the hard shifting.

I’m having the same problem now with mine, been happening for the past few weeks where it takes about 5-8 seconds to shift into reverse sometimes. Interestingly I had my oil changed (the works package at ford QuickLane) at about the same time I started experiencing problems shifting into reverse. It has 32,000 miles on it now. However ever since I’ve had my explorer it’s shifted hard, both up shifting and downshifting at lower speeds. It’s aggravating to me because I can drive a manual transmission much smoother than this explorer drives due to the hard shifting.
Welcome to the Forum Julie. :wave:
Have you taken it back to the dealership to have them look at the delayed shifting issue? That would be the place to start in my opinion. You can mention the hard shifting at the same time. There is a TSB on similar issues with the 2020 Explorer that seem to be the same as what you are experiencing. Perhaps you should bring that up as well. List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM
Good luck and please report back.

Peter

Mine does everything described in previous posts - hesitation when putting it into reverse. I thought it was supposed to do that, but wanted to see if others have the same issue. Mine is 2022 Limited with 17k

Mine does everything described in previous posts - hesitation when putting it into reverse. I thought it was supposed to do that, but wanted to see if others have the same issue. Mine is 2022 Limited with 17k
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The vehicle is under warranty so you should probably take it in and have it checked out.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The vehicle is under warranty so you should probably take it in and have it checked out.

Peter
Yes, it’s going in tomorrow 😀

Back