2022 2.3L Slow to shift from drive to reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 2.3L Slow to shift from drive to reverse

rickh925

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Limited 4WD
I've had my 2022 Limited 2.3L 4WD for about a month now and noticed that shifting from drive to reverse is very slow. I always make this change at a dead stop with my foot on the brake pedal. What sometimes happens is I come to a stop, shift to reverse, take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator and the engine revs like it's in neutral. I check to see if it is in neutral and it's not. It can take probably 3-8 seconds sometimes to go to reverse. Once it engaged as the engine reved up and "snapped" into reverse and jumped back as I slammed down on the brake in my driveway.

This happens mostly after driving for a while like when I get home and I'm backing into the garage in a k turn to line up correctly and avoid the obstacles in the driveway.

Thoughts? I've owned 4 explorers going back to the 90s, frequently with north of 200k miles each and never had this happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exact same problem over here. Have had mine for three months, noticed the issue once it got 1000 km (3000+ now) Dead stop, firm brake pedal pressure wont change it. Hope it can be fixed thru some electronic reset and not something mechanic.

Exact same problem over here. Have had mine for three months, noticed the issue once it got 1000 km (3000+ now) Dead stop, firm brake pedal pressure wont change it. Hope it can be fixed thru some electronic reset and not something mechanic.
Yeah, I am probably going to take it in for the first oil change to the dealership soon. I'm a little concerned because I completed the sale very last minute and when I drove home, my tires were all at 50psi. I corrected that, but it makes me wonder if some other pre-sale/delivery check box was missed and I have something like transmission fluid that was supposed to be topped off or something that was not done.

If I take it in, I'll post an update here. Going to get some tint on Friday this week. I drive south in the mornings and north in the evenings and forgot how bright the sun can be on the driver's side. My last explorer was blacked out and I miss that now....

I've had my 2022 Limited 2.3L 4WD for about a month now and noticed that shifting from drive to reverse is very slow. I always make this change at a dead stop with my foot on the brake pedal. What sometimes happens is I come to a stop, shift to reverse, take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator and the engine revs like it's in neutral. I check to see if it is in neutral and it's not. It can take probably 3-8 seconds sometimes to go to reverse. Once it engaged as the engine reved up and "snapped" into reverse and jumped back as I slammed down on the brake in my driveway.

This happens mostly after driving for a while like when I get home and I'm backing into the garage in a k turn to line up correctly and avoid the obstacles in the driveway.

Thoughts? I've owned 4 explorers going back to the 90s, frequently with north of 200k miles each and never had this happen.
That's not normal Rick as you've alluded to so taking it to the dealer is a good thing to do. Good luck and looking forward to the follow-up after it's repaired. Hopefully they don't just disconnect the battery cable and tell you it will 'relearn'.

Peter

Mine did that although not so severely. Glad that one will be someones else's problem. This ST has not shown any aggravating traits (knocking on wood).

"... Going to get some tint on Friday this week. I drive south in the mornings and north in the evenings and forgot how bright the sun can be on the driver's side. My last explorer was blacked out and I miss that now...."
Man, I hear ya there. We specifically chose our location east of town to put the sun at our backs in both directions. Our upcoming road trip will be north/south. The tint will help, I hope.

Did you ever figure out what was going on? My 2022 Explorer is starting to do the same thing. Thank for your response!

Hello all. I too have a 2022 xlt I picked up in November of 21.. at 4800 miles sure enough the trans is hesitating to go into reverse with a major delay. anyone else having the issue? Thanks in advance

Any update?

Hello all. I too have a 2022 xlt I picked up in November of 21.. at 4800 miles sure enough the trans is hesitating to go into reverse with a major delay. anyone else having the issue? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, all those in this thread with the issue have not reported back with any updates. Since there is no transmission dipstick, you can't tell if the fluid is low. It shouldn't be at 4800 miles.

Peter

I have nothing useful to add other than I think mine does the same thing. 2022 Timberline, just over 3000 miles on it so far. I noticed a week ago when backing into my driveway it seemed like it took a while to go into reverse but figured it was just the way it was supposed to be. My last two vehicles were Explorer Sport Tracs (2001 and 2007) and had a regular manual shifter. Thought this was just a byproduct of the new style shifter.

There's two distinct "bumps" when going from Drive to Reverse and it really won't move until the second bump. The first one I believe it when it shifts to Neutral and the second bump is it going into Reverse. I've started just shifting it to N, waiting for the bump and then going into Reverse. It seems to be less "violent".

I've not yet been to a dealer about it (don't even have one local I've been to yet as I bought in GA and live in VA) but I guess it may be time to try to find a dealer locally and make an appointment.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, all those in this thread with the issue have not reported back with any updates. Since there is no transmission dipstick, you can't tell if the fluid is low. It shouldn't be at 4800 miles.

Peter
There is a dipstick under the car on the side of the trans between it and the exhaust pipe.

Has to be at operating temp so high risk of getting burned on the exhaust.

My mom's is slow to switch from drive to reverse and/or vice versa, though it's more like 1-3 seconds probably. Ford really didn't seem to do a good job of refining this transmission.

There is a dipstick under the car on the side of the trans between it and the exhaust pipe.

That is probably why the manual says there isn't one and to have the dealer check it. ;) 🔥

Peter

My 22 ST-Line is nearing 5000 miles, haven't noticed anything like this or paid attention to it, I will now. My 22 Bronco would fall out of gear at a stop light or while just stopped sometimes, hit the gas to take off, would just rev and not go anywhere, then go back into gear. Dealer programmed something, which seemed to have fixed that problem, but then it would wind out shifting from 1st to 2nd sometimes.

I've felt the 'bump' shifting to R a couple times, but no real delay that I can quantify.
The easiest way I can replicate it, is to shift to N while still rolling forward, you feel a 'bump' assuming as the transmission commands the shift to N, since there isn't a physical connection between the knob & trans.

Sounds like the 6R60 in my Explorer Sport Trac. Such a pain to deal with if you wanted to check it or even change the fluid. It's like a little 2.5 inch dipstick sticking up next to the exhaust.

I've felt the 'bump' shifting to R a couple times, but no real delay that I can quantify.
The easiest way I can replicate it, is to shift to N while still rolling forward, you feel a 'bump' assuming as the transmission commands the shift to N, since there isn't a physical connection between the knob & trans.
I thought that this is what I was feeling since this is my first vehicle that is electronic as far as gear selection goes. No real manual connection to the transmission. It's like there is too much of a delay programmed when the command is sent. Too much latency in the system.

I going to throw my 10 cents out there. I own a 2020 ford fusion and even that does what your describing. I think it may have something to do with it being an electronic transmission. Mine even sometimes gets pissed off at me and throws me back into park if I try to select gears to early.

Yeah, I've had mine throw the 'P selected without brakes' message a times, when shifting with very little brake pressure, but fully stopped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the 6R60 in my Explorer Sport Trac. Such a pain to deal with if you wanted to check it or even change the fluid. It's like a little 2.5 inch dipstick sticking up next to the exhaust.

I thought that this is what I was feeling since this is my first vehicle that is electronic as far as gear selection goes. No real manual connection to the transmission. It's like there is too much of a delay programmed when the command is sent. Too much latency in the system.
Yup, tiny dipstick, has the numbers 1-6 on it and depending on trans model, the range varies. Barely any room above it to get it out since you have to pull straight up and better wear a heat protective glove.

Back