2022 Colorado Color Run | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Colorado Color Run

Which week would you prefer for the Colorado Color run?

• Sep 4-10

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Aug 14-20

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Other (please note preference below if voting other)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Primitive sites aren't all that large for multiple tents and vehicles. Be careful not to over do it guys. I would say they will accommodate 2 tents and 2 rigs at best, depending on which one. They are not all the same size here. Powered sites are deeper, but about the same widths. Check out the site map they have online.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tim myself and @traveler have already split a tent site if you want in on it. Is Wife bringing the Heep also? :p
Oh man, no worries! Like Greg said, don’t want to overload a site. We can find a spot… even if it ends up being a hotel:laugh:

We might be bringing the J**p, just not totally decided on that yet. The Explorers coolant leak has gotten a bit worse but I’m still determined to take it down there. So either I fix it by August, take the J**p as a backup, trailer the Explorer down, or just deal with the leak. We will see what happens

Primitive sites aren't all that large for multiple tents and vehicles. Be careful not to over do it guys. I would say they will accommodate 2 tents and 2 rigs at best, depending on which one. They are not all the same size here. Powered sites are deeper, but about the same widths. Check out the site map they have online.
Speaking of I think there was mention of camp sites outside of KOA, I may be bringing anywhere from 2-5 different rigs. Any idea what kind of camping is allowed in the area?

@Brian1 might be able to help with specifics on boondocking, as he has done it in this area. Think last year he camped closer to Silverton.

Stay the trail, forest service, should have information as well.

Speaking of I think there was mention of camp sites outside of KOA, I may be bringing anywhere from 2-5 different rigs. Any idea what kind of camping is allowed in the area?

There are a few forest service primitive sites scattered around and many 'unofficial' sites that you can tell have been used, many with existing fire rings. Lots of boondocking opportunities especially if you are mobile (no RVs/trailers/etc). Check out the ampitheater campsite on the southern edge of Ouray as well, I think it is a fee site but may work for you. Being in mid August campsites around 10k ft+ should be fine and there are many awesome spots at altitude around there. Just be smart about it and don't drive on or disturb the tundra/grasslands when picking a boondocking site.

@Brian1 might be able to help with specifics on boondocking, as he has done it in this area. Think last year he camped closer to Silverton.

Stay the trail, forest service, should have information as well.

Yes, like Gman mentioned, several spots along the road from Silverton to Animas Forks. Some of the land is private so just be aware of that. I also stayed on the West side of Ophir last time the group was out there, many large spots out that way to boondock with RVs/trailers but it is a longer drive to the popular trails and to meet up with the group.

Lastly check the iOverlander app for boondock sites, I have had good luck with using it all over the US to find free sites to camp the night.

Im still a maybe for this, mid August is a good time to be up there, I'll just have to see how my summer unfolds to see if I am able to make the trip.

Thanks Brian! I knew when I read that question that you'd be the go-to guy for the answers.

I know that there are at least 2 (probably more) people attending this meet that have a LOT more experience than I do, and I'm sure they'll chime in. But as I started this thread, I'll also start this topic as well.
Things to have on or in your vehicles.
1) SECURELY mounted front and rear tow hooks. I know a lot of off-road parks insist on bolted in tow hooks. This is because not everyone is a professional welder, welded in hooks done by a... ummm... beginner welder may not hold as well as bolted on hooks. It will be very difficult (and dangerous) for others to assist you out of a jam (or for you to assist others) without them.

Another thing to think about, communication. I don't know which most of the people attending this meet prefer, CB or handheld Shortwave. I'll have both as I am a member of 2-3 different groups here in the Phoenix/Mesa area. The older groups tend to prefer CB's (to be honest I do to) the younger groups like the handheld Hams. Regardless of your preference be prepared to have at least one or the other with you.

While not necessarily needed, this would come in very handy in preparing for the trip and also while on the trip.

Amazon product ASIN 1934838268

There are a few forest service primitive sites scattered around and many 'unofficial' sites that you can tell have been used, many with existing fire rings. Lots of boondocking opportunities especially if you are mobile (no RVs/trailers/etc). Check out the ampitheater campsite on the southern edge of Ouray as well, I think it is a fee site but may work for you. Being in mid August campsites around 10k ft+ should be fine and there are many awesome spots at altitude around there. Just be smart about it and don't drive on or disturb the tundra/grasslands when picking a boondocking site.

Yes, like Gman mentioned, several spots along the road from Silverton to Animas Forks. Some of the land is private so just be aware of that. I also stayed on the West side of Ophir last time the group was out there, many large spots out that way to boondock with RVs/trailers but it is a longer drive to the popular trails and to meet up with the group.

Lastly check the iOverlander app for boondock sites, I have had good luck with using it all over the US to find free sites to camp the night.

Im still a maybe for this, mid August is a good time to be up there, I'll just have to see how my summer unfolds to see if I am able to make the trip.
We are the type of group that likes to run our local trails just to clean up so we’ll make sure not to leave a mark, just want a nice small campfire and to not disturb anyone at the koa.
Thanks Brian! I knew when I read that question that you'd be the go-to guy for the answers.

I know that there are at least 2 (probably more) people attending this meet that have a LOT more experience than I do, and I'm sure they'll chime in. But as I started this thread, I'll also start this topic as well.
Things to have on or in your vehicles.
1) SECURELY mounted front and rear tow hooks. I know a lot of off-road parks insist on bolted in tow hooks. This is because not everyone is a professional welder, welded in hooks done by a... ummm... beginner welder may not hold as well as bolted on hooks. It will be very difficult (and dangerous) for others to assist you out of a jam (or for you to assist others) without them.

Another thing to think about, communication. I don't know which most of the people attending this meet prefer, CB or handheld Shortwave. I'll have both as I am a member of 2-3 different groups here in the Phoenix/Mesa area. The older groups tend to prefer CB's (to be honest I do to) the younger groups like the handheld Hams. Regardless of your preference be prepared to have at least one or the other with you.

While not necessarily needed, this would come in very handy in preparing for the trip and also while on the trip.

Amazon product ASIN 1934838268
We all have handheld radios but I’ll see if I can figure out how to install my cb equipment for a backup if anything, with the tow hooks in mind I’ll try and push my to-do list harder and get a rear bumper made before the trip and get my front bumper welded instead of bolted on as I’ve been meaning to do that anyways. My stock rear is in need of replacement anyways from using it as a recovery point to pull people for two years now lol.

Tow points on these trails are more for getting you off the mountain, in the event of day ending breakage. They are tame in comparison to rock crawling trails. Steep, can be slippery, bumpy, off camber, but hardly any crawling. It's more scenic trail riding.

There are harder trails, but we rarely take them on this trip. Poughkeepsie is one of them. It has a section with a couple obstacles, that has winch points provided. I do want to take this trail again, as last time I went, I lost power steering, (also broke a manifold in 5 places) and couldn't tackle the "Wall". I want that honor of completing it, winch free.

I'd love to see you do the wall. I knew it hurt you last time when we were there and the guy pointed at your truck specifically and said "I want to see that do it!".

We all have handheld radios but I’ll see if I can figure out how to install my cb equipment for a backup if anything, with the tow hooks in mind I’ll try and push my to-do list harder and get a rear bumper made before the trip and get my front bumper welded instead of bolted on as I’ve been meaning to do that anyways. My stock rear is in need of replacement anyways from using it as a recovery point to pull people for two years now lol.

The Radios were just a thought. If you've got one or the other I think we'll be good. Usually someone who has both can relay messages to ensure that all hear it. I'm having trouble getting my CB to work with the new antenna. Can't get it tuned right. May have to scrap the big antenna mounted to the rear bumper and go with a smaller one bolted to the fender. Ahh the joys of prepping for a trip.

It seems that most who are planning to attend have made arrangements for scheduling and places to stay or are planning to in the near future. That being done, let's turn our attention to the trails to be conquered. Again, I'm new to this, so those of you who have been here multiple times (or live in CO) chime in and let me know if I'm way off base or not. I've got thick skin and don't mind acknowledging others experience and knowledge. Trail ratings listed in parenthesis are not my own but taken from TrailsOffRoad.com and are a 1-10 scale

We couple probably cover Black Bear Pass (5-7) and Imogene Pass (3-6) in one day. Black Bear takes you to Telluride which goes into Imogene which ends up on Yankee Boy (1-4) which ends back in Ouray. Again, if I'm putting way too much into one day (or not enough) just holler.

Engineer Pass and Cinnamon pass could be another day. Both are longer but are rated as Moderate (3-4) and have great scenery if I recall correctly.

There are many other trails in the area, but I'm not as familiar with those or I can't figure out how to put them together into a full day of wheeling. I'm open to suggestions.

I like to leave one day for just touristy stuff, usually toward the end of the trip. A day that can be used to visit Ouray itself (there is an awesome old mine to hike and visit) or to make any needed repairs before heading home.

That covers three days, does anybody have any edits or additions?

I like what you have suggested. Most trails I have done are up in the Central part of Colorado and would be about a 3 to 4 hour drive north. I have not been to trails down in Ouray and this will be new for me also. I am game for anything.

I should be able to finish my honey do list on my Ranger. on-board air, winch, leveling kit or 3 1/2 lift. Plus find a place to put my CB. But it is over 6 months away, that will pass all to fast.

Tim

Everyone planning on attending this meet, could browse past meet threads here, to get an idea of the trails. Tons of pictures and descriptions of the trails already done by us to check out. This is one of the oldest meets on EF. Some give a day by day breakdown of trails done and sizes of the groups that participated.

Smaller groups can cover more territory in a day, than a larger group. We don't split the groups up here, like we do when rock crawling. To me, it's way too soon to be trying to figure out a daily planner on the amount of trails per day ran.

2 trails close together, per day, at a max, is about as far as I would attempt at this point. Also, we all have to be flexible here. Things can and do happen last minute, that will make a mess of the best laid out plans.

Again, after others look around at the trails in the area, and post up which they would like to run, we could make a list of all of them, then come up with a plan of attack.

Tons of trail videos on YouTube to watch, and tons of pictures, and reports here to see.

We do morning meet ups different here as well. Best to have everyone meet at the trail heads each morning. We set a time we hit the trails, and people arrive early and prepare ahead. There will be other groups hitting these trails, and some can be extremely large. We prefer not to hold them up, and like to beat them to the trail if at all possible. Those large groups can slow us way down, and ruin our plans to hit another trail that day.

At the end of each day, we try to make sure everyone in our group knows what trail is being done the next day, and where that trail head is located. We also like to have a backup trail in case of unforeseen issues. Like a group of 200 rigs are blocking the trail head when we arrive, and it's going to take 3 hours to start. Lol

See? I knew I could count on those who've been there more than I have to step up and speak out. I just want others to have as much time as possible to view the pics and videos and get an idea of what they'd like to do. That and I'm really anxious. LoL

Quick question... Are any of the people who plan to attend CB literate? I installed a 6ft Firestik antenna attached to the rear bumper. I followed all the directions, youtube videos, etc. and cannot get it "tuned". Concerned it will prove useless. I'm planning on getting a foolproof magnetic mount for the roof of the Explorer for temporary use but would love to get the Firestik to work better. If anyone attending can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

I have the same thing a Magnet mount also. Later I will get a fire stick.

Quick question... Are any of the people who plan to attend CB literate? I installed a 6ft Firestik antenna attached to the rear bumper. I followed all the directions, youtube videos, etc. and cannot get it "tuned". Concerned it will prove useless. I'm planning on getting a foolproof magnetic mount for the roof of the Explorer for temporary use but would love to get the Firestik to work better. If anyone attending can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
I can bring my tuner and patch cord with, and give it a try for you at base camp.

I've got a tuner and patch cord. Just hoping for people with more knowledge than I have. 😉

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve got a Firestik (5ft) on my rear bumper as well! Run me through your setup: radio location, coax routing, type of antenna mount, etc. What are your readings looking like? Any feedback/squealing type noises?

Back