2022 Colorado Color Run | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 Colorado Color Run

Which week would you prefer for the Colorado Color run?

• Sep 4-10

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Aug 14-20

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Other (please note preference below if voting other)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've got the antenna mounted in a 1/2" hole in the top of the driver's side if the rear bumper. Radio is located in the console. Cable runs under the vehicle up through a rubber grommet under the driver's seat. From there it runs under the carpet to the console. The current readings on the sws meter are over 3 on both channel 1 and channel 40.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got it. So if your readings are all above three, the first thing to look for is a short somewhere. Usually they end up happening at the antenna mount or the ends of the cable. Make sure you’ve got the isolator washer on your antenna mount in the right spot, that’s where I’ve had issues with shorts before. Your cable can be tested with a multi-meter to make sure it’s in good shape.

After checking for shorts also check to make sure your antenna mount is getting a good ground to your bumper. This isn’t as common to cause readings over three, but can definitely contribute to it and makes tuning more difficult.

I'll check it this weekend. Thanks.

Last Colorado Run for me was 1999. . .
Tin Cup Front (OCT 99).jpg

(Tin Cup Pass, October 1999)

If the mid-August dates are a go, definitely put me down for a "Maybe". . .

Paul

Tin cup pass was my first Colorado trail! We camped just off the trail at about 10,000 ft.

Well... not just anyone can spot for Greg.. hehehe

OK Why are you not allowed to spot Greg @Paul ?
From Gmanpaint on the Moab '21 thread: Rear wheel slipped off the side of the boulder, and wedged the front tire in front of the ledge. . . then after following the ill-fated guidance of my spotter, bumped the skinny pedal, and BAM! Loudest bang this rig has ever made . . .

Full disclosure: Below photo from Hell's Revenge, the carnage I created was far worse than this depicts. . . like literally ball bearings exploded onto the trail like shrapnel. . .
GMan CV Axle (MAY 21).jpg

From Gmanpaint on the Moab '21 thread: Rear wheel slipped off the side of the boulder, and wedged the front tire in front of the ledge. . . then after following the ill-fated guidance of my spotter, bumped the skinny pedal, and BAM! Loudest bang this rig has ever made . . .

Full disclosure: Below photo from Hell's Revenge, the carnage I created was far worse than this depicts. . . like literally ball bearings exploded onto the trail like shrapnel. . .
View attachment 427412
I had that happen on my Durango I had for a while. The Axle broke but it was not as loud as you are explaining. but I heard it.

Paul wasn't kidding about the bang and shrapnel. That CV axle was a day old. It broke like never seen before. The big bearings shot out of a big hole they made, in the cast bell. Paul found one on the trail, and asked if that was mine. Hahaha!!

Just wondering. Is anybody who is attending in need of, or just want, a receiver or a set of 16" alloy wheels off of a 2000 Eddie Bauer?
I have 1 stock round tube class III receiver and a square tube receiver that's been modified for a 2" body lift. It is both a receiver and mounting brackets for the bumper, raising both hitch and bumper 2" over stock. The receiver can still be mounted at stock height if needed. If anyone wants them let me know and I'll set them aside and take bring them with me. I'm tired of them taking up space.

I would Love the 16" Rims. I actually like those better then the ones I have on my Explorer.

I would Love the 16" Rims. I actually like those better then the ones I have on my Explorer.
Consider them yours... I'll throw them in with the rest of my stuff. :) The four alloys also include a steel 16" rim for a spare.

Just tossing this out there since it looks like the tentative dates are set for September. There is a Bronco event at the same time in the Buena Vista area. Bronco Super Celebration (WEST) | Bronco Driver September 7-10, 2022
We have taken our Bronco to this event for the past 2 years. It's a great event and is expected to grow again this year with more vendors and participants, especially now that the new Bronco is being delivered to customers. Maybe the Explorer group can meet up at the fairgrounds and check out the event. The Bronco group likes to wheel! So while there are some trailer queens, most of the rigs go wheeling. (Full disclosure - my Bronco is way too nice and original to take on the trails so it's more of a show truck).

I was at the CCR in 1999. Good times back then, as our 1st gen explorers were still "new". Ford came along with us then and really experienced the enthusiasm. I have to think this led to future marketing decisions Ford did throughout the early 2000's in their trucks and suv's.

You can put me down as a maybe for this year. I'll have to determine the schedule b/c we are already committed to the Bronco event.

Just a note on the dates - mid August will be a little early to see any "colors". Early / Mid-September is right about when the aspens really start changing and you see the "colors". So if you're after seeing the colors change, September is the best time.

Hi Brett, glad to see you posting up here!!
Very cool you was part of that historic meet! You got to wheel with legends here, like Rick and Dr Jack.

A bunch of us have already paid/booked sites for mid August in Ouray. Be great if you could join the group here.
Some of this group going, are from the springs area, and that bronco meet is closer to them. Maybe they could check that out as well. I was in Buena vista camping and trail riding back in 2017 during monsoon season. Beautiful area, but the cold rains made it miserable. Lol. I would love to go back, and get to my favorite shirt shop in the world, located in south park. Someday!!

Hi Brett, glad to see you posting up here!!
Very cool you was part of that historic meet! You got to wheel with legends here, like Rick and Dr Jack.

A bunch of us have already paid/booked sites for mid August in Ouray. Be great if you could join the group here.
Some of this group going, are from the springs area, and that bronco meet is closer to them. Maybe they could check that out as well. I was in Buena vista camping and trail riding back in 2017 during monsoon season. Beautiful area, but the cold rains made it miserable. Lol. I would love to go back, and get to my favorite shirt shop in the world, located in south park. Someday!!

Hey I'm a legend too :)

At that run in 1999, my 94 sport was all stock. I had just completed a rear disc brake swap, which was the basis for one of the original tech articles on this site. Shortly after, I installed a lift, tires, lockers, gears. Those were the early days and things have evolved significantly since then.

I'll be away mid-August so I do know I won't be able to make that date.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back