• Register Today It's free!

2023 Explorer Timberline Rattle

twintornados

Reaction score
City, State
Rome NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer Timberline
New to the forums here...on a few other Ford centric forums (Bronco6G, BlueOvalNews) just traded my 2022 Bronco Black Diamond for a 2023 Explorer Timberline....love the ride, but one small issue. About a week after purchase (Nov. 2023) began getting a knocking/rattle noise from left front of vehicle. Dealer diagnosed "out of spec" inner tie rod, then discovered play in rack after replacement. New rack installed and off I go...two weeks later, knock/rattle returns...back to dealer this Monday past (BTW, both times, dealer gave me a new TImberline loaner) and diagnosis shows, replacement rack is bad...new one ordered and will be in Thursday...off to a rocky start, but I really like the Timberline...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats - we have a 22 and have really enjoyed it so far. I hate to jinx myself but after close to two years it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything so far.
Since it's a 23 I'm not sure if it's new or used? The tie rod and steering rack issue seem very odd for a new vehicle. If it's used then I would wonder what kind of hit that tie rod took.
I'm curious as to why you went from a 22 Bronco (I assume the full size - you didn't say sport) to a 23 Explorer. Was there an issue with the Bronco?

Congrats - we have a 22 and have really enjoyed it so far. I hate to jinx myself but after close to two years it hasn't been back to the dealer for anything so far.
Since it's a 23 I'm not sure if it's new or used? The tie rod and steering rack issue seem very odd for a new vehicle. If it's used then I would wonder what kind of hit that tie rod took.
I'm curious as to why you went from a 22 Bronco (I assume the full size - you didn't say sport) to a 23 Explorer. Was there an issue with the Bronco?
I liked the 22 BD and had no issues with it but when I saw the 23 Timberline, I was all "that looks sharp" took it for a test drive, and dealer gave me what I paid for the Bronco in trade. I bought the Explorer brand new. And yes, it was the FS Bronco.

I liked the 22 BD and had no issues with it but when I saw the 23 Timberline, I was all "that looks sharp" took it for a test drive, and dealer gave me what I paid for the Bronco in trade. I bought the Explorer brand new. And yes, it was the FS Bronco.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Welcome, I love seeing more Timberline owners on here! I have a '22, almost had it 2 years now. Only major issue was with the rear wiper motor going out, idiot/lazy dealer made it worse... hope you get it back and working soon. If you need help, or have questions about any accessories or any work you want to do, throw the question out. Most of what's out there has been done somewhere

So, apparently, there is an issue with the parts department replacement rack and pinion steering unit. the replacement rack ordered was installed and is bad right out of the box....I have contacted Ford about this and at the very least, will be looking for some compensation in the form of grille LEDS or something else.

New to the forums here...on a few other Ford centric forums (Bronco6G, BlueOvalNews) just traded my 2022 Bronco Black Diamond for a 2023 Explorer Timberline....love the ride, but one small issue. About a week after purchase (Nov. 2023) began getting a knocking/rattle noise from left front of vehicle. Dealer diagnosed "out of spec" inner tie rod, then discovered play in rack after replacement. New rack installed and off I go...two weeks later, knock/rattle returns...back to dealer this Monday past (BTW, both times, dealer gave me a new TImberline loaner) and diagnosis shows, replacement rack is bad...new one ordered and will be in Thursday...off to a rocky start, but I really like the Timberline...
I recently purchased a 23 Timberline and I also have the noise under the front left side, Ford has replaced the sway link and didn’t fix, now they are saying it’s the struts. Just turned 1800 miles on it.

I recently purchased a 23 Timberline and I also have the noise under the front left side, Ford has replaced the sway link and didn’t fix, now they are saying it’s the struts. Just turned 1800 miles on it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter

My dealership first diagnosed left inner tie rod, stating it was "out of spec". Replaced tie rod and stated there was "play" in the rack, so ordered up new rack, install...a week later, rattle was back...ordered another rack, put it in...stated that the new rack also has play....opened a case with Ford engineers looking like a bad run of racks.

UPDATE: latest is that Ford engineering now states there is an issue with the strut mount not being correctly assembled on the line, so new one ordered....part showed up today, it will get installed on Tuesday since Santa Claus is comin' to town.

My dealership first diagnosed left inner tie rod, stating it was "out of spec". Replaced tie rod and stated there was "play" in the rack, so ordered up new rack, install...a week later, rattle was back...ordered another rack, put it in...stated that the new rack also has play....opened a case with Ford engineers looking like a bad run of racks.

UPDATE: latest is that Ford engineering now states there is an issue with the strut mount not being correctly assembled on the line, so new one ordered....part showed up today, it will get installed on Tuesday since Santa Claus is comin' to town.
That is what Fordland is telling me as well, they ordered the parts yesterday.

latest update on my Timberline, 1st it was the driver side inner tie rod, then it was determined that the rack and pinion unit itself was bad and was replaced...drove it for a week and rattle still there. Second rack installed without success, then Ford engineering says to change out the strut mount, no change..then replace the strut..still rattles....this coming Tuesday, I will begin the process of having Ford buy it back...in the meantime, the loaner car (also a 2023 Ford Timberline) is rattle free.

Latest update to my ratting Timberline...has been in the shop since December drop off they replaced the rack again, Ford engineer says try strut mount...still rattling, next up is strut assembly. On national back order with an anticipated delivery date of Jan 19th....I have contacted Ford about a buy-back, we'll see what the future holds. In the meantime, the loaner Timberline I have been driving now has more miles on it than my "Rattle-line" and is rattle free.....

Latest update to my ratting Timberline...has been in the shop since December drop off they replaced the rack again, Ford engineer says try strut mount...still rattling, next up is strut assembly. On national back order with an anticipated delivery date of Jan 19th....I have contacted Ford about a buy-back, we'll see what the future holds. In the meantime, the loaner Timberline I have been driving now has more miles on it than my "Rattle-line" and is rattle free.....
Maybe try for a vehicle swap. ;)

Peter

Latest update is that when I asked about a buyback, suddenly the back-ordered part arrived. I will pick it up tonight, but I have some serious reservations about keeping it. Just pisses me off that something as simple as a strut is that difficult to obtain.

Latest update is that when I asked about a buyback, suddenly the back-ordered part arrived. I will pick it up tonight, but I have some serious reservations about keeping it. Just pisses me off that something as simple as a strut is that difficult to obtain.
I am being told that the struts for mine are also on back order.

I’ve been waiting a month for struts. Who did you initiate buyback conversation with? Ford Motor Customer Service?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back