20's or 22's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20's or 22's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice man, i wasnt sure if 22's were gonna be to big. After seeing yours, im goin with em

I've got 22 x 9.5 with 285/40's and it's quite nice :)

Still have plenty of sidewall to deal with our crap roads and in comparison to stock I'd say it's probably 10% more firm in the ride.

We checked clearance at full lock on both sides and theres about 10mm clearance to the inner guards.

After looking at a lot of photos of Explorers with both 20's and 22's I came down on the side of the 22's cause they just seem to do the truck more justice. You'll smile every time you walk back to it to get in... I do :)

Oz

did the 285 40's screw with your speedometer?, i want the most fill in the wheel wells and that sounds like it.

Yeah, speedo is out by approx 4%. I know there are ways to electronically re-adjust the speedo but I don't have the tool for it so I just drive 5kph less on the dial.

Wheel wells do fill in a bit better and they doen't look like rubber bands on the wheels. At standard height it almost looks like the fender gap is the same size as the tire height which gives it a balanced look.

Oz

yea, i was told that the best size was 265/35 for 22's but i want to fill the wells so im goin for the 285/40s. what kind of tire do you have?

I went with a Falken tire. Very quiet on the road and so far wearing very well. Have put 10,000km on them so far. They do have quite a deep tread to start with which is also nice. I got 80,000km out of the standard Michelin's so I'm hoping I can get the same with these.

I wasn't impressed though when at 1 week into having them on the car I managed to put a 2 inch bolt straight through one of em - lucky it was fixable...

Oz

whats the tire wall height? i dont want to be dodging every little pothole. Could i do 45's?

45's definitely won't fit. Your sidewall height on a 285/40 is 114mm or approx 4.5inches.

The roads I drive on are some of the worst around and I don't have any issues with either the tires or the wheels.

265/35's on the other hand I can see ending up in disaster as you go down almost an inch in sidewall...

Oz

sweet, thanks for all the info. you dont happen to have any pics?

My silver Explorer above is riding on 265/40s Toyo Proxes and I was told that those are the perfect size. I havent had any issues but the 285 will give you more of a tire like oz dude said.

No pics of it at the mo.

Just did a deal to buy another Explorer exactly the same as mine but with 100,000km less on it. Keeping the existing one but will put the wheels and various bits and pieces sitting around in boxes on the new one - then I'll take some pics :)

Hey - does anyone know if the Lincoln Aviator came with a black interior in the 04/04 model? They had a woodgrain intert in the steering wheel and the new Expy I'm getting has a black leather interior - would make a nice addition...

Oz

Here is mine with 22s on it. Just to give you an idea of what it would look like.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/694859028.html.

I have those exact same wheels. Just so ya know, they are actually 22x9.5 and not 22x10.

And it says in your ad you paid $5000 for them with tires. WHOA!!! I paid $2200 brand new out the door with new rubber.

Do you have any pics of your interior on that X? I haven't been able to find black interior pieces anywhere, just really dark charcoal gray.

Mine sits on the 22x9s with 285/35s, and it's lowered 3"+. No rubbing on turns, but it rides like crap, and if I hit a big enough dip or bump the rear tires tough the bottom of the fender. That's just because it sits so ridiculously low.

I had 265/35s originally, but the 285/35s are much better. The extra width is nice, but the increase in sidewall height really filled the wheel wells nicely and made the ride a bit smoother.

There are pics floating around here on this site, but I don't have them at this computer. I prefer 22s over 20s, but it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Back