21 Limited AWD - Rattle/Noise in rear passenger door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21 Limited AWD - Rattle/Noise in rear passenger door

LuvFord

Reaction score
City, State
Chesterfield MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
At highway speeds I get a rattle like air is lifting a loose panel. It is especially noticeable when I'm passing a Semi. I've pinpointed that is is coming from the area of the rear passenger door. I've checked the exterior trim and nothing is loose. Any ideas what could be causing the noise and how to fix it?

At highway speeds I get a rattle like air is lifting a loose panel. It is especially noticeable when I'm passing a Semi. I've pinpointed that is is coming from the area of the rear passenger door. I've checked the exterior trim and nothing is loose. Any ideas what could be causing the noise and how to fix it?

Check the felt undercarriage covers for loose plastic nuts. It's a common issue. I replaced the plastic nuts on my '21 with stainless steel fender washers and M6X1.0 nylon luck nuts; problem solved.

Google "explorer door rattle at speed"

img_5996-jpg.jpg

Check the felt undercarriage covers for loose plastic nuts. It's a common issue. I replaced the plastic nuts on my '21 with stainless steel fender washers and M6X1.0 nylon luck nuts; problem solved.

Google "explorer door rattle at speed"

View attachment 451174
Agreed. Been there, done this... That rattle was driving me nuts until I researched it on this forum. I like having those panels to reduce road noise, so I think it is a very good idea, just poor execution...

Back