Solved - Passenger side rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Passenger side rattle

Post number 1 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

1depd

Reaction score
City, State
Middle of No Where
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 Explorer XLT
Just a FYI.

So a few months ago I noticed a rattle coming from low on the passenger side. I couldn't figure out exactly where is was coming from or if the wife had left something in the car. After a few weeks the wife and I were going somewhere and I asked if she heard the rattle. She did and thought it was coming from behind her on the floorboard.

When we got home I crawled under the car to check it out. Everything looked fine, but there was a rattle. I started lightly tugging on things to see if anything was loose. There is a fiberboard panel in that area. One of the connectors had been stripped. Because it was no longer tightly connected to the bolt it was causing the rattle. $2 and 20 minutes later it fixed as was my sanity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do yourself a favor and replace all those plastic retainers with m6 stainless nuts and fender washers. They will all eventually fail and cause noise.

Just a FYI.

So a few months ago I noticed a rattle coming from low on the passenger side. I couldn't figure out exactly where is was coming from or if the wife had left something in the car. After a few weeks the wife and I were going somewhere and I asked if she heard the rattle. She did and thought it was coming from behind her on the floorboard.

When we got home I crawled under the car to check it out. Everything looked fine, but there was a rattle. I started lightly tugging on things to see if anything was loose. There is a fiberboard panel in that area. One of the connectors had been stripped. Because it was no longer tightly connected to the bolt it was causing the rattle. $2 and 20 minutes later it fixed as was my sanity.
1depd - thank you for this info. I'm having similar rattles as well in that general area.

Would it be possible to get a picture of the problem area for the rest of us?

Thank you,

Jay

See video regarding this annoying rattle. These noise shields are a great idea, but terrible execution. Yes, been there, done this:

Ah - I recall seeing this a while back.

Thanks for the refresher.

Jay

See video regarding this annoying rattle. These noise shields are a great idea, but terrible execution. Yes, been there, done this:

Didn't even think about using washers and nuts. That is a great idea.

Back