21S32 // Rear Toe Link Replacement parts in stock at dealer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21S32 // Rear Toe Link Replacement parts in stock at dealer?

^ How is that a solution to merely check it NOW? All of them were good... until they weren't.

I agree that it's not ideal, but what the alignment tech did in the video, did not seem all that complex. Looks like it should allow alignment unless there are some other parts damaged.

I do think the issue is whether it can come out of alignment but at the same time, if you hit something hard enough to do that, maybe a little alignment slip is the least of the potential damage, compared to a link with no slippage possible?

I could be wrong but don't recall seeing reports of problems with the new toe link from those who already have it, but as with my opening statement, that is only "NOW"... time will tell.

I'd still get the recall done on the vehicle, not good to leave open safety recalls weighing against the VIN. If an alignment shop can't figure out what to do even after being told, take it somewhere else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Okay but that's 1... out of how many million + explorers have this recall done?

I'm not suggesting you are wrong, but I imagine there's more than 1 explorer that had the old toe link break too....

Anyone with a 5th Gen explorer should just replace the rear toe links with aftermarket parts at this point especially as these cars get older. If the oem links crack during a high speed maneuver or even just flex during braking the tail end is gonna jolt out of control. I got the Steeda rear toe links and they are worth the money.

Anyone with a 5th Gen explorer should just replace the rear toe links with aftermarket parts at this point especially as these cars get older. If the oem links crack during a high speed maneuver or even just flex during braking the tail end is gonna jolt out of control. I got the Steeda rear toe links and they are worth the money.
Those look very well constructed it would gladly use those instead of the ford recall toe links. However this discount code does not work. Now Available: Steeda Explorer Adjustable Toe Links

You can add my '15 to the post-recall rear toe link problems. Had the recall done last August at 118k miles. Several weeks ago, I was preparing for a long (>3K miles) vacation drive so I was rotating the tires as part of the pre-trip maintenance. Grabbed the RR tire to pull it off and it felt like I'd grabbed a porcupine, even through gloves. Found both rear tires severely worn through the belts on their inner shoulders.

Got it into the Ford dealer and they re-aligned it at no charge but would not do anything about the ruined tires which still had almost 50% tread remaining. I ended up spending an unplanned $900 two days before departure for a new set of four Pirelli Scorpions.

Service advisor suggested it was simply potholes that cause the toe to slip. I'm going to get the Steedas once I get back and be done with the issue. They will be half the cost, after alignment, that another set of tires would be when the toe slips again.

You can add my '15 to the post-recall rear toe link problems. Had the recall done last August at 118k miles. Several weeks ago, I was preparing for a long (>3K miles) vacation drive so I was rotating the tires as part of the pre-trip maintenance. Grabbed the RR tire to pull it off and it felt like I'd grabbed a porcupine, even through gloves. Found both rear tires severely worn through the belts on their inner shoulders.

Got it into the Ford dealer and they re-aligned it at no charge but would not do anything about the ruined tires which still had almost 50% tread remaining. I ended up spending an unplanned $900 two days before departure for a new set of four Pirelli Scorpions.

Service advisor suggested it was simply potholes that cause the toe to slip. I'm going to get the Steedas once I get back and be done with the issue. They will be half the cost, after alignment, that another set of tires would be when the toe slips again.
I am very sorry to hear of your issue, thank you for posting this. This is exactly what I was looking for. Confirmation that those bolts "pinching" the toe link do not have the torque necessary to hold an alignment. I am going to do the same by purchasing the Steedas (wish the coupon code worked). Will hold off installing them (since I have the first recall links with the turnbuckle) and not worried abut the alignment changing. Then, If I ever find the knuckle joint is going bad, take it to the dealer for the full recall (the knuckles are not cheap). After the dealer is done will change the Steedas myself and drive it to the front end shop for an alignment.

;
I am very sorry to hear of your issue, thank you for posting this. This is exactly what I was looking for. Confirmation that those bolts "pinching" the toe link do not have the torque necessary to hold an alignment. I am going to do the same by purchasing the Steedas (wish the coupon code worked). Will hold off installing them (since I have the first recall links with the turnbuckle) and not worried abut the alignment changing. Then, If I ever find the knuckle joint is going bad, take it to the dealer for the full recall (the knuckles are not cheap). After the dealer is done will change the Steedas myself and drive it to the front end shop for an alignment.
Maybe, or maybe just his wasn't torqued enough or set right in the first place. I check my tires every month or two for uneven wear, and will continue to do so. Seems as easy to do that, and also covers other issues that could cause wear, versus having to keep checking the toe links... and yet, if it's a salty winter environment like mine, I have been checking them ever since the first recall notice, but I don't take my 5th gen out in the worst of winter and they look quite good/low-rust for their age.

Here's a mustang forum where if you ask for a Steeda coupon code, their rep will usually PM you one:

If the knuckle joint is going bad, isn't that just going to be a matter of getting the bolt out, derusting it and the bushing (sleeve) and then grease them up really good, or replacing either of those (and still, greasing them up really good) as needed?

Received another letter from ford to have the 20S62 recall performed. Had the last recall performed where they replaced the toe link.

Have concerns about the new toe link design. This is the current model that was installed on my 2015 explorer with only 27,000 miles.
View attachment 439883

This is the new model that ford wants to install.

View attachment 439884

Note the lack of the toe threaded adjustment link. On the new link, toe in adjustment is performed by sliding the new link between the nut and bolt in the knuckle as the link has an elongated slot, not a hole. So the new link does not allow the mechanic adjusting the toe to have the precision or ease of adjustment as the old link did. here is a video of a Ford mechanic struggling to adjust the toe.

My Dad worked as a Master mechanic in a Ford dealership for over 30 years (I worked there as a kid also). With todays mechanics being rushed to produce and meet quotas, many mechanics today are forced to perform work that is “just good enough” and not high quality. How many mechanics do you think are going to take the time to get this alignment performed properly messing with what amounts to a pinch bolt, not a precision threaded rod?

Why am I concerned? Have read owners having issues with tires wearing out because of improper toe after the latest recall. At least one case can be found on this forum. So whether the mechanic did not set the toe correctly during alignment or whether it changed after is up for debate.

The end result is the same, the owner has to fork out big bucks for 4 new tires.

Personally, I feel this is a piece of crap way to adjust and hold toe. It should be a threaded rod that is “locked” in with a locknut, the way the old link was. My opinion is since the link is elongated the first big pothole you hit is going to move the link and change the alignment. The new link is only pinched by the knuckle bolt, not locked into a round hole like the old link. The old link did not have this elongated hole and the only way the alignment could change is if someone adjusted the threaded rod.

Ford eventually figured out the toe links were breaking because the toe link ball joint was seizing in the knuckle putting undue strain on the toe link. The new unthreaded rod is overkill because they simply did not know why they were breaking in the beginning.

So rather then have ford putt a half a$$ link on my vehicle (and possibly cost me a new set of tires) just going to crawl under there myself and perform a test on the knuckle ball joint. Doubt it will be bad at 27,000 miles because we never drive it in the snow or bad weather ( we use the 1994 explorer for that).

Curious on what your opinions are on this “updated” toe link.

You hit the nail on the head! as a Ford technician (34 years) I can tell you I don't like the new design and none of the technicians that I work with are impressed either. I don't see how the new design can hold position that well, I've done a bunch with no issues though. They are a pain to adjust and to top that off Ford cut the labor with the new design we get paid one hour to install the links and adjust the rear toe.

I specifically asked the SA to ask the tech what the break-loose torque was. He reported it was 108 lb-ft. I don't know if he just threw that out there to shut me up or if that was a real measurement. Personally, didn't trust that report but I resisted the temptation to measure it myself beforehand less the dealership see the bolt and nut had been touched and turn me away.

Interesting... Mine had been done as a "Customer Satisfaction Program" (21R01) at the ford dealer mere days before it went up for sale. Ill have to keep an eye on it.

Pretty sure the PIUs didnt have quite the same problem though. It appears my replacement link is much beefier.

I believe I miss understood...

Guess Ill have to take it in sometime

VideoCapture_20230317-191507[26].jpg Screenshot 2023-03-17 193322.png

I specifically asked the SA to ask the tech what the break-loose torque was. He reported it was 108 lb-ft. I don't know if he just threw that out there to shut me up or if that was a real measurement. Personally, didn't trust that report but I resisted the temptation to measure it myself beforehand less the dealership see the bolt and nut had been touched and turn me away.
Actually 111ft.lb for the outboard bolt per the recall.

Back