2017 Ford Explorer - wobbly after rear toe link replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Ford Explorer - wobbly after rear toe link replacement

cell0phane

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
I had my Explorer into the dealership and they replaced the tie rods rear toe links and sent me on my way. Since then the car is wobbly at highway speeds and tends to slightly accelerate when I take my foot off the gas at around 40km/h. It's not as smooth of a ride and I tend to feel every bump and groove in the road and it also feels as if it drives in its own direction and I am correcting the steering. I took it back to check it over and it came back without issues.

I took it to my local garage so they could have a look to confirm it wasn't just in my head. They said that Ford may have not done an alignment and they'd have a look. They ended up finding a bad wheel bearing which they replaced. The garage isn't near a highway so they couldn't take it for a proper test drive.

I get it back and it still feels the same, somewhat better as it doesn't feel like the back end is completely swinging out on me. Not sure what else it could be or what to ask them to look at. Tires are a year old and put on last year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my Explorer into the dealership and they replaced the tie rods and sent me on my way. Since then the car is wobbly at highway speeds and tends to slightly accelerate when I take my foot off the gas at around 40km/h. It's not as smooth of a ride and I tend to feel every bump and groove in the road and it also feels as if it drives in its own direction and I am correcting the steering. I took it back to check it over and it came back without issues.

I took it to my local garage so they could have a look to confirm it wasn't just in my head. They said that Ford may have not done an alignment and they'd have a look. They ended up finding a bad wheel bearing which they replaced. The garage isn't near a highway so they couldn't take it for a proper test drive.

I get it back and it still feels the same, somewhat better as it doesn't feel like the back end is completely swinging out on me. Not sure what else it could be or what to ask them to look at. Tires are a year old and put on last year.
Take it to a alignment shop for alignment. Anything is off, will show up on the rack.

I don't see how changing tie rod ends would have anything to do with "slightly accelerating when you take your foot off the gas or not as smooth of a ride" Doubt the wheel bearing would have been a cause of these symptoms either unless it was about to fall out.
" drives in its own direction and I am correcting the steering." This sounds like your Ford dealer didn't set the toe in properly or maybe messed up an alignment totally. I'm with Pete.. Find a reliable alignment shop. Do it soon or your 1 year old tires will start cupping or wearing unevenly.

Rotate the tires and see if that changes anything. That one may already have uneven wear from the bad wheel bearing. Which wheel? I agree the alignment should be rechecked.

Was it the tie rods replaced or that rear toe link recall? Some people have concerns that the newer toe link design may allow it to loosen and shift because it depends on a bolt at the end rather than rotating the two pieces of the link rod itself for alignment.

Also I am confused, in a prior topic you posted only that you had a howl noise and a wheel bearing was replaced, yet the howl continued. No mention of these other issues, but was it the same wheel bearing or have you now had 2 replaced?

Why is a '17 explorer issue posted in the '06-10 forum? You ought to have a mod move it to the correct forum where more fellow owners of a 5th gen will see it.

I don't see how changing tie rod ends would have anything to do with "slightly accelerating when you take your foot off the gas or not as smooth of a ride" Doubt the wheel bearing would have been a cause of these symptoms either unless it was about to fall out.
" drives in its own direction and I am correcting the steering." This sounds like your Ford dealer didn't set the toe in properly or maybe messed up an alignment totally. I'm with Pete.. Find a reliable alignment shop. Do it soon or your 1 year old tires will start cupping or wearing unevenly.
Take it to a alignment shop for alignment. Anything is off, will show up on the rack.
I will do that this week thanks!

Rotate the tires and see if that changes anything. That one may already have uneven wear from the bad wheel bearing. Which wheel? I agree the alignment should be rechecked.

Was it the tie rods replaced or that rear toe link recall? Some people have concerns that the newer toe link design may allow it to loosen and shift because it depends on a bolt at the end rather than rotating the two pieces of the link rod itself for alignment.

Also I am confused, in a prior topic you posted only that you had a howl noise and a wheel bearing was replaced, yet the howl continued. No mention of these other issues, but was it the same wheel bearing or have you now had 2 replaced?

Why is a '17 explorer issue posted in the '06-10 forum? You ought to have a mod move it to the correct forum where more fellow owners of a 5th gen will see it.
It was only the rear right wheel bearing that was changed. Just the one.

I just checked the paperwork and it said they replaced both rear toe link arms and adjusted the alignment. I have no idea where I got tie rods from.

I had it aligned and the issue is still happening.

I am going to take it to another garage for a fresh set of eyes to have a look.

If you really did have a bad wheel bearing, might have an unevenly worn tire. I'd try swapping tires front to back to see if the issue follows the tire location.

Took our 2013 Explorer in (twice) for the toe link recall. 2 months after the latest toe link replacement I noticed that the inside of the new rear tires was worn past the wear bars. The Ford dealer acknowledged that the new toe links require a special alignment procedure and that a rear alignment probably wasn't performed. The replacement toe links are non-adjustable and have a slotted end that requires 2 people to do the alignment or the use of a winch strap. The dealer replaced the rear tires, no questions asked.
I went with the Steeda rear toe links. They are fully adjustable, MUCH beefier as far as the thickness of the metal, powder coated and easy to install. Now with the Steeda rear sway bar, the Explorer now takes turns like a car and the handling control is greatly increased. No body roll or lean when turning. It's a totally different driving experience.
If you can, ditch the Ford recall toe links and go with Steeda.

Part numbers for the Steeda?

Welcome to the Forum Homer. :wave:

Peter

Back