21S32 // Rear Toe Link Replacement parts in stock at dealer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21S32 // Rear Toe Link Replacement parts in stock at dealer?

WallaceMI

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Did anyone succeflly performed the toe link replacement at a local dealer yet?

The recall notice said that parts are not in stock at time of notification but should in stock "PARTS ARE NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TO COMPLETE THIS REPAIR. PARTS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE BEGINNING THE END OF THE FOURTH QUARTER 2021".

Also, what exactly are they checking for the rear toe link inspection 20S62?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received several notices for the rear toe link recall for my 2016. So I scheduled an appointment to have it done at the local dealer. They then sent me a notice saying they understood why I cancelled the appointment. Of course, I didn't cancel, so I called them to ask what was up. The service advisor told me that the part wasn't available. Kind of messy service for a safety recall. Anyone else having the same issue? Should I try a different dealer?

Haven't gotten that far along yet, had received 3 letters... first time, they inspected it and replaced two nuts and bolts. Second time, they just inspected it. Third letter I got half a month ago, that they have parts and to make an appointment but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If other dealers are less convenient, I'd ask if they can reschedule and ask if you are assured they will have the parts reserved for you. Otherwise, sure, call around and ask the same thing.

Took my '15 in two or three years ago (forget actual date, was before C19 panicdemic).. Got the recall of the recall notice again. Called local dealer last week to get it checked again. They took my VIN, told me they'd order the parts, and call me back to schedule an appointment after they arrive.

I just had my '17 done. The truck is in Middle TN now, but lived in Michigan the first 18 months. My dealer confirmed it needed to be done and the links were replaced.

My Interceptor was done a couple weeks ago...

Had my '15 XLT done a couple weeks ago. My understanding is that all toe link recalls supersede to this latest replacement. Ford sent dealers a batch for the 4-cyl Explorers & the 6-cyl Explorers (they are two different part numbers). Because there is alot more 6-cyl Explorers of this generation they sell out much faster and Ford was ill prepared for the demand

My dealer told me I had to replace the rear knuckle bushing in order for them to do the recall. Is it just me or does that seem like completely bullshit. Why do I need to replace a part for you to do the recall?

My dealer told me I had to replace the rear knuckle bushing in order for them to do the recall. Is it just me or does that seem like completely bullshit. Why do I need to replace a part for you to do the recall?
Because it's wore out.Not bullshit. If you don't trust them I would take it somewhere else.Let everyone know what you find out.

Because it's wore out.Not bullshit. If you don't trust them I would take it somewhere else.Let everyone know what you find out.

I did get it checked out by someone else and they told me it was fine. But my issue is more with why do I have to pay for it. If it's going to effect the recall it should be covered within the recall.

I did get it checked out by someone else and they told me it was fine. But my issue is more with why do I have to pay for it. If it's going to effect the recall it should be covered within the recall.
Did you ask them?

If it is indeed worn out and you no longer have a warranty, then it is your responsibility to pay for the part. The fact that it affects the recall work doesn't change that.

Peter

If that's the cross-axis ball joint, that would be included, but the bushing would not, at least that's how I read the recall.

However, I'm not sure you should be required to replace a worn component that's not related to the recall in order for them to complete the recall.

However, I'm not sure you should be required to replace a worn component that's not related to the recall in order for them to complete the recall.
Could it be that the replacement may be required in order to do a proper alignment?

Peter

I agree with peterk9 that they may not be able to do an alignment if it's bad, but since you got it checked out and it's not bad (assuming you can trust that "someone else"'s competency to determine this), then it seems suspicious. How much $$$ did they want to replace this? Did they state whether they'd have to pull the knuckle or could press it in, on the vehicle?

I got the notification from Ford that my toe links needed to be replaced. Except, I already had them replaced at the dealership and I paid for it with money. Why does Ford keep sending me the recall notice. It would be nice if the dealership updated my vehicle info like my mechanic does whenever I have service performed.

I got the notification from Ford that my toe links needed to be replaced. Except, I already had them replaced at the dealership and I paid for it with money. Why does Ford keep sending me the recall notice. It would be nice if the dealership updated my vehicle info like my mechanic does whenever I have service performed.

Well, it's actually a good thing you got the notice. I believe you should be able to get reimbursed for the cost if you paid for the repair.

When did you have them replaced?

I don't think it works like that, rather the work has to be performed as a recall item # and then that gets put on your vehicle data.

As Odrapnew mentioned, you may be entitled to a refund. Not sure who to contact about that tho'... Maybe there's a phone # on the recall letter?

Were you just worried about the links failing or did yours actually fail already? Better question, when they were replaced was it with the new one piece design, or the original, welded together design? If welded together, Ford wants you to have them replaced again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Received another letter from ford to have the 20S62 recall performed. Had the last recall performed where they replaced the toe link.

Have concerns about the new toe link design. This is the current model that was installed on my 2015 explorer with only 27,000 miles.
old toe link.jpg

This is the new model that ford wants to install.

new toe link.jpg

Note the lack of the toe threaded adjustment link. On the new link, toe in adjustment is performed by sliding the new link between the nut and bolt in the knuckle as the link has an elongated slot, not a hole. So the new link does not allow the mechanic adjusting the toe to have the precision or ease of adjustment as the old link did. here is a video of a Ford mechanic struggling to adjust the toe.

My Dad worked as a Master mechanic in a Ford dealership for over 30 years (I worked there as a kid also). With todays mechanics being rushed to produce and meet quotas, many mechanics today are forced to perform work that is “just good enough” and not high quality. How many mechanics do you think are going to take the time to get this alignment performed properly messing with what amounts to a pinch bolt, not a precision threaded rod?

Why am I concerned? Have read owners having issues with tires wearing out because of improper toe after the latest recall. At least one case can be found on this forum. So whether the mechanic did not set the toe correctly during alignment or whether it changed after is up for debate.

The end result is the same, the owner has to fork out big bucks for 4 new tires.

Personally, I feel this is a piece of crap way to adjust and hold toe. It should be a threaded rod that is “locked” in with a locknut, the way the old link was. My opinion is since the link is elongated the first big pothole you hit is going to move the link and change the alignment. The new link is only pinched by the knuckle bolt, not locked into a round hole like the old link. The old link did not have this elongated hole and the only way the alignment could change is if someone adjusted the threaded rod.

Ford eventually figured out the toe links were breaking because the toe link ball joint was seizing in the knuckle putting undue strain on the toe link. The new unthreaded rod is overkill because they simply did not know why they were breaking in the beginning.

So rather then have ford putt a half a$$ link on my vehicle (and possibly cost me a new set of tires) just going to crawl under there myself and perform a test on the knuckle ball joint. Doubt it will be bad at 27,000 miles because we never drive it in the snow or bad weather ( we use the 1994 explorer for that).

Curious on what your opinions are on this “updated” toe link.

Back