• Register Today It's free!

2500 mile road trip!!!

djbiker27

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 Ranger P.O.S.
i have a 1993 4 door explorer with at the time before departure had about 180,700 miles, and every year i go up to northern california with family, but this time i decided to meet family in vancouver, washington. I'm only 17 years old so i convinced my parents and then i set out on my journey with my dog, pepper. :thumbsup:

I left (Torrance) Los Angeles on Friday the 13th (who would have thought?) and made it 311 miles to patterson (middle of nowhere on the I-5) and still had about an 1/8th tank left. (Mind that i had to cross the grape vine which consumes a good amount of gas) On the highway i was averaging 400 miles to a tank!!!! In the city i get about 220 to 240 miles per tank, so my mileage almost doubled!!! :D It was an interesting feeling just driving for hours on end without having to apply the brakes except for a few times. I stopped a second time in Willits, CA for gas and some grub even though i could have made it to where i was stopping. i made it to Piercy, CA, 585 miles north of where i started later that evening.

The next morning i departed for Vancouver, Washington. I saw the beautiful pacific northwest for many hours driving on the 101 and then the 199 through oregon for about 250 miles, then made it once again to the I-5 which is strikingly similar to the bland boring highway that it is in california! i was imagining trees the entire way through oregon, but it was not so. I called my uncle to let him know i was 50 miles south of portland, when an accident COMPLETELY STOPPED the I-5 and i was sitting there chatting with some fellow explorer drivers for about 45 minutes, then the traffic finally got moving. I drove 1100 miles in 2 days, i think i could be a trucker or something :D

I stayed in Washington for a week, and it was raining in july which was a big downer on my trip, but it was cool to see family. I left Vancouver for California but with my cousin riding along this time. The trip was going good but i wasn't getting nearly the same mileage for whatever reason. And through oregon a rock hit my windshield which at the time of impact was only about an inch long, and when i got to NorCal it was about 8 inches and climbing up my windshield. bummer.

Since my 4wd doesn't work i had to rally car drive it up the driveway up to our property, which was actually kind of fun. i tried to make a repair (i have the eddie bauer electronic transfer case) and i replaced the bushing before but couldn't find the right spot for the censor, so i tried up there on the uncomfortbale gravel driveway, but one of the sensor fingers broke off, most likely to be my fault. so i couldn't fix my 4wd, but i could still go up and down the driveway.

I stayed there for a week enjoying family and having an awesome time. I left with my brother in hopes of visiting UC san francisco and UC santa cruz, but it did work out so well! A little south of Santa Rosa, i was crusing on the 101 at about 70mph, and since i know my truck is old i am constantly watching all the gauges, and the oil pressure fell to zero and a giant grey cloud of smoke jetted out the back of my explorer. I jammed on the brakes, pulled to the side of the road, and didn't know how i stopped as fast as i did, but i turned the engine off instantly. I motor didn't run at all with no oil since i knew right away that my truck was dumping ALL the oil. so i sat on the side of the road with my brother, a truck with no oil, and a long trail of my trucks blood on the 101. :roll: It was such a bad feeling i was really sad if it had meant the end of my truck :( We called a towtruck and since it was a saturday barely any autoshops were open, and the one that was was very busy. It turned out to be there oil filter, whether it was faulty or i had installed it incorrectly we never figured out. A 5 hour fiasco later, we were on the road with a new oil filter and an urge to get home.

We skipped UCSF and stayed the night in an overpriced hotel in santa cruz, but i saw santa cruz in the night and day and really enjoyed the campus. We drove home to Los angeles and 2500 miles later i finally told my baby she was home and could rest. the odometer now read 183,200 miles. THe valves were slapping as normal, the transmission feels a little more clunky but not so bad.

Most of my friends said i was crazy:confused: for taking my old beast on this crazy summer trip, but i knew i could make it. It was definitely an experience and most 17 year olds wouldn't drive that far. I have some good memories and some more experience on the road and a new understanding for my ford explorer! :D :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...sounds like you had a fun trip and a good call and save for pulling over and shutting it off quickly...a little trick for putting on your oil filter, take some oil and put it on the rubber of the new filter before you put it on...it will let you tighten the filter properly and it will stay on then...if you don't oil it up first, the friction of the dry rubber will keep it from tightening and it will back off on it's own...;)
...keep us informed of your future trips...:D

What happened to the filter? Was it the gasket?

Also, what brand was the filter?

Thanks ....

thanks for the tip. I did take some oil and rub it on the seal like you said, so i'm not sure what happened. maybe some of the old gasket was still there? but i don't know because i think it would have happened within the first 2000 miles of my trip....so i'm not sure

there were times where i had to pass and the motor was working hard in the high rpms, and it didn't blow then. it happened when i was cruising on a flat highway.

and i was using a mobil one oil filter.

and i never knew what really happened to the oil filter, the mechanic was one of those know it all guys that answers a question with a VERY vague answer. also it was kind of hard to understand his voice!

and i was using a mobil one oil filter.
Ouch.....and I would have taken bets on the brand being a F(^%.

What would I know.......I use WalMart Supertech oil and filters......changed evey 3000-3500 miles.

:thumbsup: on your safe and memorable trip.

Aloha, Mark

Nice trip!

I love my 1994 EB Ex. Only 234+K miles. I will be travelling to PA from GA to bring back my 3500lb boat + trailer. Pray 4 me the mountains R a killer. :salute:

:troops:

that was a great post and a wonderful adventure for a 17 year old.

did pepper go for help?

How'd the truck do through the grapevine?

Avg. speed.

Nice trip!

I love my 1994 EB Ex. Only 234+K miles. I will be travelling to PA from GA to bring back my 3500lb boat + trailer. Pray 4 me the mountains R a killer. :salute:

:troops:
good luck! that should be a fun trip! through the mountains it feels like the slower right lane is an explorers best friend :D

that was a great post and a wonderful adventure for a 17 year old.

did pepper go for help?
haha thanks! yes i am very glad i went it was certainly an adventure for such a youngin. haha i should have written a note and tied it to her collar. "HELP. NO OIL. VERY HOT. BUMMED OUT"

How'd the truck do through the grapevine?

Avg. speed.
It actually did pretty good, i put it into drive, stayed in the slower lanes, and kept a steady speed. there were plenty of cars passing me but i was making sure my baby was gonna make it. I was busy checking my engine temperatures and oil pressure very often to make sure everything was in the norm. There were crazy guys with F-350 crew cabs towing those huge boats and yachts and just mashin up the grapevine. crazy! passing me like a sports car! i think i did alright partially because i have 3.73's and stock tires. But the grapevine was definitely something i was worrying about and i made it :thumbsup:

Yeah the grapevine is killer.

I don't think id make it.

Engine has 278k on it with 3.27 gears in the rear.

Great job, and quick thinking when she dumped her oil:salute:

You should make a special commemorative decal or plaque for the truck. Maybe take a photo of you and truck and frame it.

Bob W.

...or at least post a pic on here of you and your truck...:D

Here are some pics from my trip!

my mountain goat of a dog, pepper

IMG_0431.jpg

carpics002ms.jpg

This is me keepin in formal in northern california :D
IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

This is the I-5 south of portland, oregon, after that accident and we were all hanging out haha.
IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

that was a very enjoyable post.

thanks for sharing the photos.

Ex looks like its in good condition.

Ex looks like its in good condition.

she's doing alright for her age. 183k miles certainly takes it's toll especially because i'm pretty sure all the parts are original. also 14 years of being in the california sun plus people who didn't really wash or wax it means my roof is very oxidized and rusting in some spots, which is a bummer and i need to fix pretty soon.

i think the oil pump is getting tired because my oil pressure has been lower than it normally is. and the valves are slapping. but she is strong and my first car and want to keep around for a long time, until SUV's are illegal ;)

i'm thinking of stripping down the paint and then rhino lining the whole thing! :D :D :D :D it would look so badass like a flat black color and it would be very tough. that would solve my exterior problems

Back