• Register Today It's free!

2dr vs 4dr fuel efficiency

Bredman

Reaction score
City, State
k-town, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
none
I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the search.

Is there any difference in the fuel efficiency of explorer sports vs XLTs or other four door models?

I know that different engines are available, and 2drs tend more often to be manual, but supposing similar conditions, does the extra door/weight make a notable difference?

Welcome!

Once you get to a 4000 lb vehicle, the 250 lb difference doesn't matter to mpg. However, the weight and drag of 4x4 do make a difference in mileage.

In my experience both 2 door and 4 door Explorers get roughly the same mileage. I used to own a 93 XLT (a 4-door) and it got about the same as my current 94 Sport (a 2-door) does. Well, my Sport gets a little better NOW because of the mods I've done; but when both trucks were stock it was about the same, 13 city/18 hwy. There might be a difference but if so, it's less than .5 mpg I'd say.

Now, with 2 wheel drive vs. 4 wheel drive, there is more of a difference. 2WD's will generally get better mileage.
They're lighter yet. And if the truck is a manual, that can often mean less drivetrain loss, which equals better mileage.

Back