How to: - 2nd gen console removal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen console removal

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is soooo good to know!!! I has to replace the o2 sensor on bank 2. I wasnt sure what side bank 2 was on and after looking at it for a while I thought it was the one that this thread shows! So i was thinking how in the hell am i gonna reach that sucker?? I thought id have to take the exhaust down and it would be a pain to do. But after researching ( refused to accept that I was looking at the right one) i found out bank 2 is on the drivers side. what a relief!!! took about 5 minutes to swap out. But if my other 02 sensor on bank 1 every goes ill know how to change it out!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

question about this. i am hopefully going to swap my short console for this one soon, because i want to put a message center into my sport. can i get away with just using the for bolts to hold this console in, or to i have to get the bracket near the back (the one below the one you need to beat with a hammer).

Probably wouldn't sit right without the bracket, and the back end wouldn't be very secure. Don't you have hte bracket in the floor? I would think it would be the same in all models.

i am pretty sure the bracket that is there bolts to the floor, then it reaches to the top where the arm rest bolts to.

center console removal - access to o2 sensor

ive got the console out but don't see any access panel to the transmission hump to gain access to the oxygen sensor connections. obviously i need to cut the carpet, but where. did you make a centerline cut down the middle and fold the carpet to the sides?

I cut my carpet right down the middle. Or, you could pull the front seats, and pull the carpet out without cutting. Cutting is easier. ;)

didn't see any opening???

I took the console out.besides hitting it. I had to hook a wire to the rear metal frame and the rear seat leg. I tightened it to pull the console back. it was tight. I look as far under the carpet without tearing it up and found no opening. I did see a plate screwed up there when I was underneath. Is that what I was looking for? Anyway changed sensor from underneath. WHY O WHY did they put the electrical connector up there???? Only 3 or 4 inches of wire :mad:would have been a big help.It literaly took hours:( a mirror, flashlights and a bent coat hanger.:mad:

Yes,

That was the plate you needed to remove.

Omg I cant thank you enough for posting this! I sat in my garage in my 95, thinking it was something like my 92, which took about 4 bolts and it lifts right out, WOW I was wrong, 20 bolts later, and an hour, still nothing, I had no clue how to remove it, now i do, and I can paint it, thanks alot man!!!

Does anyone know if you can get to the top bolt of the transfer case form this access
panel under the console?

Yup- it's the only way to reach them as far as I know.

How do I remove my 3rd gen center console?

Just a quick question, I put one in my 96 yesterday from a 96 and I don't need the radio controls to work just the blower fan, does anyone know which wires coming off of the center console plug run the blower? Didn't really want to have to strip the console down to find out if I don't need to. Thanks

I agree i just pulled out a center console this afternoon and i wish i read this before. It took me two hours. You live you learn.

console removel with computer

For those of you who have the consoles with the computer system

When you remove the computer panel (which is what you will remove first)
there will be three plugs in the back of it, they simply unclip. Thats the only difference between the computer console and the one without the computer.

4.jpg

quick question.
what exactly is the little light under the cup holders for?
i pulled mine the other day just because i was bored.
Just wondering if that light serves a purpose.

I must say..... This helped a TON!! Went exactly as described in Turdle's post... I had to replace my driver side buckle. I am very grateful to this forum and the people in it! I have been dealing with the issues my car had (keyword... had :)), until I decided to look for some help! Granted, my wife isn't happy that I spent all afternoon and night with my car instead of her, but....oh well.. ;)

One note on installation... when lining the center console back up, stand in the back seat with your fingers on the metal tabs under the center cubby. Feel for the slots they go into, and you'll have an easier time getting everything to line up... after it moves a little, make sure the rods in the front are going into their holes or they will hold you up...

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about removing the short console? Is it the same or ???

Thanks

Tim

Back