How to: - 2nd gen console removal | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen console removal

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Brown fluid is bad...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is merely a vent tube. You might want to make sure it isn't clogged, a clamp on the pipe joint might not be a bad idea.
Thanks; I'll tighten it down with something before I put the access panel back on. m

Heads up, the V6 oxygen sensor linkages are not in the same location at the V8s, in fact, I really have no clue as to how to disconnect bank 1 sensor 1 on my 1998 V6.

Bulk Head harness

Does anyone know what all that big harness controls under the console

Old thread but just incase anyone reads it through to the end this might help. So I wacked at my console for 10mins (all bolts were removed) and it didn't move. All I did was bend the bracket. I looked under the rear of the console where the clips grab the brackets. I jammed a flat head between the clip and rear of the bracket and pried on it and the clips easily slid off of the bracket. Maybe my 6lbs loosened it?

Old thread but just incase anyone reads it through to the end this might help. So I wacked at my console for 10mins (all bolts were removed) and it didn't move. All I did was bend the bracket. I looked under the rear of the console where the clips grab the brackets. I jammed a flat head between the clip and rear of the bracket and pried on it and the clips easily slid off of the bracket. Maybe my 6lbs loosened it?

Yup,there is a description and instructions about these clips right above the last picture in the first post

006-7.jpg

I am also having a hard time removing the console, even with pounding on the bracket with a big hammer. I am having a hard time telling by the picture here, but how far back are the tabs? Is this view from the side? And would I have to remove the seats to get to the tabs, or can I reach them with the seats still in place?

I am also having a hard time removing the console, even with pounding on the bracket with a big hammer. I am having a hard time telling by the picture here, but how far back are the tabs? Is this view from the side? And would I have to remove the seats to get to the tabs, or can I reach them with the seats still in place?

The tabs are toward the rear of the console, if you send the front seats all the way forward you might be able to get to them from the back seat area-

1998 Ford Explorer V6 4.0 OHV VIN X Center Console

Yup,there is a description and instructions about these clips right above the last picture in the first post

006-7.jpg

Went to pull the center console on my 1998 Ford Explorer V6 4.0 OHV VIN X with 307,000 miles and the picture of the 2 metal clips under the rear section of the console was a life saver. Flat head screwdriver to press the clips and pulled. Console came out like a breeze. You definitely have to sit in the back seat for this removal. Replaced the heater core, drier/accumulator and evaporator. Many ""Thanks" for the post and picture.

Last edited:

I want to see someone install a 12V outlet or two in the back end of the console.

please tell me this is different in the limited? I have a console display!

please tell me this is different in the limited? I have a console display!

All you need to do is push in on the sides of the display part and pull up. It will pull out and disconnect the plug on the back side.

Just trying to makes sense from this thread - so is there an access plate to take off to get to the upstream o2 sensor connector - ? Does any one have any pictures?

Just trying to makes sense from this thread - so is there an access plate to take off to get to the upstream o2 sensor connector - ? Does any one have any pictures?

There is a picture of the access hole in the first post. Remove console, pull carpet back from dash ( or cut an I shape) and you'll see the panel. I think it is held by 8mm bolts

Thanks for your response Turtle but on my 1999 4.0 the psgr upstream o2 wire and connector go up between the engine and firewall, not like the one in the pic in post one. Wonder if there is another panel that would allow access to one in that configuration?

Thanks for your response Turtle but on my 1999 4.0 the psgr upstream o2 wire and connector go up between the engine and firewall, not like the one in the pic in post one. Wonder if there is another panel that would allow access to one in that configuration?

Yes, and the connectors sit on top of the transmission. Forgive me if I am wrong but I bet if you remove the floor panel you'll see the connectors right there-:)

You're probably right. When it warms up outside I'll give it a go...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks will get on it in the morning

Back