Solved - 2nd Gen non working heated leather seats (ref. photos) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2nd Gen non working heated leather seats (ref. photos)

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

'99_Limited

Reaction score
City, State
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
The heated leather seats in my '99 limited weren't working. When you pushed the button the light would flash for a split second and turn off and the next time you pushed the button nothing, no light. I'd read somewhere about the harness and a 3 way splice.
Out of the blue this morning I decided to tackle the job even though it is 80 degrees today, ole' man winter will be here in a jif. Figure I would snap a few pics for some other guys & gals that may be experiencing the same issues.
First you need to pull the passenger side bottom rocker cover, about 6 pins will free this, the $10 upholstery tool I bought for the door lock fix worked great. From there you Will see a black plastic encasment for the harness' unsnap this along the far side and pull the harness up and out. It was at this point I realized I must have a leaking windshield gasket or bad door weather stripping on the door as there was water along the rocker channel. Anyhow the 3 way split is closer to the front of the rocker than the rear so begin to strip your black electrical tape at the top, find the light blue wire with white stripe, follow it toward the rear & You will see the following splice, once I even began to touch this splice it simply fell apart in my hands.

I stripped back all three wires to about 1/2". There isn't that much slack in this wire so it's tight to work with. I twisted my 3 wires together and generously taped them together and then taped both ends of the splice separately onto the harness then retaped the entire harness. At this point I tested both seats to be sure my splice held

I then put the harness back in the channel and marked the spot for the Xmas tree pin, then taped that on, snapped it in, closed up the rocker channel, replaced the rocker panel and tested it one more time and success!

http://s112.photobucket.com/user/ge...29A92663-84A4-4CF3-A96C-E244CE7A8FCC.mp4.html

Hope this helps someone out!

Gerry

Back