2nd Radius Arm Bushing Replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Radius Arm Bushing Replacement?

Krokus

Reaction score
I had some Radius Arm Bushings, Energy Suspension Polyurethane ones, installed on my 92 4x4 Explorer about 4 months ago. I went on an off road trip last month, the roads were all wash boarded out and bumpy. Since the trip, there is a gap on the radius arms like the bushings have been crushed or compacted. The front diff has a lot of play, especially when backing up and braking.My question is, since the rivits have already been burned off and replaced with grade 8 bolts, is it a very lenghty or difficult job to replace these bushings again? What type should I use instead of the Energy Suspension brand, they didn't hold up for *hit! Any advice?
Thanks, Krokus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat! I have gone through 3 sets of radius arm bushings on my 92.. someone have any suggestions ?

Check the nuts on the RAB ends. They should be ~100 ft/Lbs.

If your front diff is moving around I would check the axle pivot bushings...

My diff is moving not so much as the pivot bushing is bad, as much as the radius arm bushings are so smashed, they have created a large gap between them and the RAB end. I checked the nut, it's torqued to specs. There's no doubt my bushings are bad, I just need to know if the job will be difficult to replace them. Last time I had someone else do it, this time I'll be doing it and would like to know what I'm in for.

Krokus,
I havnt changed out my RABs yet but I really need to (feels like the front end is about to fall apart when off pavement) Anyway if you look in the maintainence section Dead Link Removed
A guy describes the same thing and a possible fix.
Hope this helps...:)
Doug

Back