• Register Today It's free!

2wd or awd

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello to all

I have a 2010 XLT 4x4 Explorer, I want to replace it with a new 2017 XLT, I don´t use the 4x4 regularly, maybe 2-3 times per year in very brief situations. Even at those moments the 4x4 is very welcome but the 2wd would probably be ok but it impossible to know for sure since it´s auto 4x4. The question is for whomever has any opinion about this, if you have the 2wd please describe what experiences you've had, the same for the awd. The benefits of a 2wd are a little better fuel economy and its a couple of thousand dollars less, I want the awd but the economy is making me second guess.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just want to clarify something you stated. "but the 2wd would probably be ok but it impossible to know for sure since it´s auto 4x4".
If you get the 2wd which is actually referred to as FWD, then that is all you get. There is no "auto 4x4".

Peter

Just want to clarify something you stated. "but the 2wd would probably be ok but it impossible to know for sure since it´s auto 4x4".
If you get the 2wd which is actually referred to as FWD, then that is all you get. There is no "auto 4x4".

Peter
Yes, the 2011+ Explorer 2wd is actually fwd, mine is 2010 4x4 auto when needed (not awd) and rwd normal. What I know the 2011+ awd is different, but my 2010 is auto 4x4, only engages the front tires for a 4x4 when it detects the rear slipping, that make sense to you?

To expand a bit about my original post, what I want to know is if the new fwd explorer is fine or if owners of 2011+ fwd say that they encounter problems and wish they had a awd instead. I drive 99.9% in the city with eventual mud in rural places 2-3 times a year or uneven ramps where I´ve seen the 4x4 engage but probably a 2wd (front or rear) would get out.

I went FWD (2WD) this time and in my situation it's fine as the low profile tires (50 series) and the chrome wheels wouldn't be welcome "off road" anyway. The MPG and purchase price will both be to your benefit if you really don't require AWD/4WD.

We have a Subaru for more serious off-road needs with much more ground clearance as well.

I don't recall reading many posts wishing a FWD owner had bought an AWD or vice versa. The AWD 5th gen Explorer is FWD biased and only engages the rear wheels when it needs to do so. There is also a Terrain Management System on the AWD that has different settings (snow, mud & ruts, sand) that will change the way the AWD system acts. Living where I do and with the Winters we have here I wouldn't consider anything less than AWD and a good set of Winter tires. You conditions may not warrant the same set-up. It would seem that a FWD will do.

Peter

I went FWD (2WD) this time and in my situation it's fine as the low profile tires (50 series) and the chrome wheels wouldn't be welcome "off road" anyway. The MPG and purchase price will both be to your benefit if you really don't require AWD/4WD.

We have a Subaru for more serious off-road needs with much more ground clearance as well.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, ground clearance is a fact, as the new explorer is not as high as before. For serious off road another vehicle would be better, I presume.

I don't recall reading many posts wishing a FWD owner had bought an AWD or vice versa. The AWD 5th gen Explorer is FWD biased and only engages the rear wheels when it needs to do so. There is also a Terrain Management System on the AWD that has different settings (snow, mud & ruts, sand) that will change the way the AWD system acts. Living where I do and with the Winters we have here I wouldn't consider anything less than AWD and a good set of Winter tires. You conditions may not warrant the same set-up. It would seem that a FWD will do.

Peter
Thanks Peter.

I live in a climate similar to Miami, with "winter" hotter. No snow of any kind. As you say, fwd is probably the vehicle I will get.

I live in Maryland. We get alittle of all types of weather. Wife wanted an explorer and I wanted 4wd. Unfortunately we could not find one she wanted with 4wd that fit the monthly payment we wanted. I'm really surprised for it be a FWD did great on loose dirt gravel roads and uphill roads too ! The other people we were there with asked if it was 4x4 and gave me a funny look when I told them it wasn't. lol. Hill start assist is a really great feature. Waiting to see what this winter brings but I'm sure it will do fine. Only thing I wish is that the ride height was a little higher like the 4WD.

We live in Central Wisconsin where we get plenty of snow, I think FWD is more than adequate. The number of times that AWD is required is minimal. Our streets get plowed before we even get up in the morning. We don't get many storms of more than about 8". I have always thought the number of people driving 4WD or AWD vehicles is excessive. Almost all vehicles are FWD today which are a big improvement over rear wheel drive. My thought process is that if there is so much snow that you NEED an AWD vehicle the smart option is stay at home until things improve. We have an AWD 2014 XLT and for our particular situation it is required. We live in Salt Lake City from December through April, skiing up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Hwy 210, the final 8 miles is the most avalanche prone highway in North America. From November 1st through April you must have an AWD vehicle or carry chains to enter the Canyon. The average snowfall is 500"+ and when it is snowing the police will stop and turn around non AWD / 4WD drive vehicles. So there are certainly people that need AWD but I think most do not. A good set of winter tires makes more sense to me.

AWD will not help you "drive" in snow, sleet, ice and most importantly; provide sufficient braking for all of the above.
A good set of winters, will outperform AWD with all-seasons.

Back