• Register Today It's free!

Convert From Awd To 2wd

fordX302

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna,De
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD xlt
im looking to do a conversion from awd to 2wd.... i would like to get a lil more speed out of it 0-60 time and better gas mil. not sure if it would make a difference eitherway. i know i cant take the front axel's out. i have awd spindles so it wouldnt werk. but can i take the front driveshaft coming from the awd transfer case out without tearing anything out??? i need all the help i can get on this subject.....its got a 4.5/4 drop on it and i would love for it to spin rear wheel . please help......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5.0's park through the front driveshaft, so without it the truck would roll freely.

It's not so much that they park through the driveshaft, but if the front (or rear) driveshaft is removed, the center differential/transfer case can slip, and the truck will roll. Additionally, the t-case will always be slipping when driving down the road, and will likely fail. It's not a good thing.

It *may* be possible to adapt a manual t-case to the tail of the transmission. That, or replace the transfer case with the tail off a 2wd transmission. At any rate, it's not worth it IMHO.

-Joe

I converted mine about 15K miles ago. At first I just removed the front driveshaft, but before I lowered the front I also changed out the front spindles, rotors, etc to 2wd parts. I got the spindles for $100 from a junk yard, and used new rotors, seals, and bearings. The truck will roll if parked on much of an incline, so you need to use your parking brake and make sure its in good working order (I found out mine wasn't one day when I found my truck in the middle of a parking lot!). I'm going to eventually swap out my tailshaft to eliminate the transfer case as well, as it will still affect the power going to the rear wheels a bit. I can't honestly say my mileage got any better so far, although the steering is much lighter that when it was AWD.

IN order to convert a AWD truck to a 2WD truck, you cannot just remove the front driveshaft.
You need to install a new output shaft into the 4r70W transmission along with a Ford 2wd tailhousing.
This should also take care of the parking situation, but we would have to ask an expert about that.

You can always replace the constant AWD t case with a selectable low range case, but for street purposes I don't see why.
I would convert the transmission OR swap out the 4r70w for a 2wd version and call it done.
Of course the front end should also be converted IMO, remove the front diff/center section and use all 2wd front end parts.
I have considered this on my 96 Explorer (2wd long travel suspension) but then I remembered I live in CO.

well im a little dissapointed to find that i will need to put more then a little money into the drive line to convert it to 2wd. i was expecting to increase fuel mil. and have more power to the rear wheels (faster) i guess ill just leave it alone. if it isnt broke dont fix it right? the 5.0 did come in a 2wd model right?? and if sumone could anser my drop shock thread that would help me out greatly. thats for the help in this matter.
~~~Brent from delaware~~~~

410Fortune said:
I have considered this on my 96 Explorer (2wd long travel suspension) but then I remembered I live in CO.

Yeah, I've hear you guys get snow once in a while out there.... :confused:

-Joe

yes the 5.0L did come in a 2wd model

2wd and AWD are the two available from 96-01
Honestly when you look at conversions like this you should also look into selling and buying the one you want.

You can convert your trans to 2wd at the same time that you rebuild it.
This would give you a new trans.
You would gain MPG and RWHP with a 2wd output shaft and no more AWD t case BIG TIME.

Not to mention dropping the front axle and such out would be less weight and drag. Hmm, wonder if I could live without AWD? :D

so i would have to replace the tranny tail with a 2wd? why would i do the the T-case isnt built into the tranny tail. it has like a 8''shaft then into the T-case then goes to the fron n rear from that. wouldt i be able to just get rid of the T-case and replace it with a 2wd driveshaft. money isnt that big of an issue eitherway. the real problem is finding parts to do this. i cant fine any 2wd explorer around here. just awd. and yes in delaware we get snow about 2-3 times a winter , a big deal down here is about 6 inches. lol. state pretty much shuts down after 12 inches. lol also i have a big problem with my os sensor. look for the new thread i poisted if u have info on that 4 me. thanks again guys'; you have been great.

Okay re-read whats been posted.

the 4r70w transmission that is in your Explorer had either, AWD or 2wd OUTPUT shaft and TAILHOUSING.

When you assemble an automatic transmission the first part to go into the case is the output shaft.
In order to convert your AWD 4r70w to 2wd, the entire transmission must be taken apart and the output shaft installed from a 2wd version.
So while you have it apart you can do a full rebuild.
It is likely that who ever is doing your rebuild can take your AWD transmission in trade as the core. Then actually build you a 2wd version of the trans.

Then you just need a 2wd Explorer rear driveshaft (or have one built)
and remove all the junk you dont need from the front axle.

the frames, rear axles, engines, everything else is the same when comparing 2wd to AWD.

In the end you are looking at anywhere from $1500-2500 to complete this. But if you do it that way you will have a brand new transmission under warranty.
You can also sell your front end parts, driveshafts and AWD T case to re-coupe some of the cost.

You can likely buy an entire 2wd 5.0L Explorer for that much at auction, giving you every part you need and then some, but with miles on it.

I spent about $250 doing the frontend conversion, figure another $100 for a used driveshaft and $750-1500 for the tranny rebuild and conversion. Also, I seem to remember someone (maybe Hartman) complaining they had a hard time removing the front axle, but mine only took about 20-30 minutes to get out, I'm not sure where they ran into a problem.

Back