2wd with a tcase? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd with a tcase?

unfortunately i am stuck in 2wd because, well i dont have 4wd. i have often times considered converting but it would take alot to do all at once, thats why i am considering just swapping in a tcase for now. a tranny rebuild is not too far down the road and i figure it wouldnt be that hard to swap in a tcase while the tranny is out. if i do this i wont have to spend a whole bunch of money at one time and i will already have my truck ready for the front end gear to go in. is swapping in a tcase on a 2wd x possible? and if so would i be able to use low range, you know jsut for the rear?

Why not...

I dont think it would be that hard, you would need rear drive shaft(dont know if it is the same lenght), and depending on manual or auto t-case other stuff such as computer, push button, wirering to and from computer/t-case. You have to check if t-case plug to tranny direct or with adapter(maybe it come with the t-case), as for that I cannot help you. And yes you can use low rage, because it put both t-case output into low.

If you can hold out till summer, I will have an a4ld tranny and b/w t-case available....just thought I'd offer
Pete

Go for it! All you will need it the t-case, adaptor and drive line. Then when you do the rest you can just do a solid Dana 44 in the front and you'll be set. For a while will have 2wd low, Sweet....... RobbieJ

well, it sounds like im gonna go for it! :) i wanna do it right the first time so i need to chose which tcase i wanna use. either way i want a manual tcase because i dont feel like dealing with wires and whatnot. i here that the atlas2 is very desirable, where can i get one and how much do they cost? what are some other options available for quality tcases?

Back