jddoubleshot

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC *Olivia*
4.10 ?

Anyone has 4.10 in a 98+ Sport SOHC??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why you couldn't.. I have 4.10's in mine from the factory..

Just have to re-program your speedo..

The majority of the factory Explorers come with 3.73's so finding someone with the is not hard. My mom's '99 XLT has 3.73's with 255/70-16's and it seams to be a good match.

I have an '01 Sport with 3.73 LS rear. I wonder why the Sport comes with the 3.73 but the Sport Trac comes with the 4.10.

I have a 93 sport. Do you guys know what i have for gears?

Thanks,

Chris

open your driver's door and llok at the white sticker on it. there should be a two number code for the axle. tell us what your's is and well tell you the ratio.

here is a list of the axle codes for an explorer:
43 Open 3.08

41 Open 3.27

42 Open 4.10

46 Open 3.73

45 Open 3.55

D4 Limited Slip 3.73

D2 Limited Slip 4.10

L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Thanks!

That sucks, I have 3.27

well, at least it gets good gas MPG:)

15 mpg..... Sucks

I have 3.55's and I think they are so low that it makes me get worse mileage then if I was to have 3.73's. But soon I will have 4.10's with 31's and that should be good.

i have 31s and d4.... what is the difference between the d4 and l73? i get crappy mileage like 10 city 13 freeway

Shout, I have 3.55. I was planning on running 31's but I may be too low...
Does anybody run 31's on 3.55? Is it bearable or really crappy? I have a 5speed tranny.

Can someone tell me what it is like with 3.73 or 4.10 gears, in a 5 speed (93) sport or similar with 32" or 33" tires? I am interested to know how it is on the highway as well as off road. Is 80 mph managable with this type of setup or are you at a really high rpm.

well...

that also sucks for me... i have the 3.08

3.55's w/31's

I run 31" BFG's with 3.55. I've got the sohc v6, little slower off the line, but livable. I haven't the foggest idea what Ford was thinking with the gearing.

Thanks Keach,
I have no idea what Ford was thinking about. They were probably tying to get rid of an old stock of stupid gears like 3.08, 3.27 or 3.55...
My truck came stock with 225/70/15, 26.5" tall !! And it's a 4wd so supposed to be capable of a little off-roading. With this tires you don't even wanna try.
I'm gonna put the 31's anyway and see how it goes, if it's really too low it will just be another really expensive mod to switch to 4.10:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mpg and gears

my 92 4-door has 160k on it, a five-speed, 3.73 LS, and 31 wrangler GSA's and i get at least 18 but more around the 20 mpg range...

just rember if you swap gears and dont change speedp gear you have to recalibrate for your miles too not just MPH

Back