3"Suspension, 3"body ,and 285/75s :D | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3"Suspension, 3"body ,and 285/75s :D

Black, of course... I'm at a loss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps a light magenta? :) The vehicle is great!

Thanks Donner. lol

Is this the sites significantly lifted 3rd gen? Very nice!!

i envy you what exacly would it take to do this to my 04

i envy you what exacly would it take to do this to my 04

Well, It cost me about $2350 total to get to where I am, that includes the rims, tires, springs, body lift, and install on the springs.
I would have done those myself, but the spring compressor I had access too didn't have a chance with the new bigger springs.
I saved 7-8 hundred by installing the body lift myself.

Oh... the last thing it takes... if this applies to you, is a VERY understanding wife ;)

do you have a part number for the body lift.

Hey Roadbully, first of all your truck looks incredible at that height! The next thing on my list of upgrades for my X was going to be rims but after seeing yours with the body lift, i'm thinking of going for it. Right now I have a 2.5" spring lift in the front and a 1.5" spring lift in the rear with 265/75 all terrains and I just wanted to know if you think the body lift would make these tires look to small or if I would be alright with these for a while. Thanks again for being ballsy enough to be the first one of us to go for the body lift. Once again, your X looks great.

ghurst10,
Thanks for the comments, I'm sure your tires wouldn't look too small with the lift, 265's aren't exactly dinky tires. :)
and where your springs aren't quite as tall as mine, you'll have a little bit less wheel gap, so I think it would work out well for you.
Make sure to fire up some pictures if you go ahead and do it.

Cheers

Ben

Yeah i def will if i do. I'm just glad we can finally get a solid 5-6 inches of lift out of these 3rd gens.

Yeah, it's nice to know that it can at least be done, I got tired of waiting for someone to show up that had done it themselves, So I figured I should just bite the bullet and giver. :)

Took a couple of pictures with my cell phone when I was out today, me beside a stock xls.
Enjoy.

bensphone041.jpg

bensphone038.jpg

Cheers

Ben

after seeing all this i think i've decided on doing the 3 inch body lift..

i just have a few questions..
1) i saw where you said you had to trim the fan shroud, but yesterday i was looking at mine and it appears you can remove the lower half of the shroud by itself...would it lead to any problems if i just removed it?

2) were any special tools required

and 3) think it'd look good for a mounty?:D

only thing for me would be I'd have to just remove my hitch as i don't have access to machining tools

after seeing all this i think i've decided on doing the 3 inch body lift..

i just have a few questions..
1) i saw where you said you had to trim the fan shroud, but yesterday i was looking at mine and it appears you can remove the lower half of the shroud by itself...would it lead to any problems if i just removed it?

2) were any special tools required

and 3) think it'd look good for a mounty?:D

only thing for me would be I'd have to just remove my hitch as i don't have access to machining tools

It's great to hear that more people are going to do this now. :)
1) yes, the bottom of the shroud does come off, I actually took mine off to trim it, but it does function to direct air through the radiator, so I would trim as little as possible, I'm no mechanic, but that's just my opinion.

2) No special tools, besides the drill press and cutters at the machine shop to make the rear brackets, Some of the lower body mounts would not let go of the bolts, so we did haveto use a chainlock?? Like vicegrips with chain on the end, it's like a 30 dollar tool.

3) I'm sure it would look great on a mounty, :thumbsup:

You do need to keep the trailer hitch though, it actually IS your rear bumper.
they're not separate parts.

Hope I've helped.

Ben.

1) yes, the bottom of the shroud does come off, I actually took mine off to trim it, but it does function to direct air through the radiator, so I would trim as little as possible, I'm no mechanic, but that's just my opinion.

yeah i was thinking about just removing the lower half all together but thats probably not a very good idea i guess

and what would you reccomend i do about my rear bumper situation?
i don't have a way to machine the brackets but i also dont wanna cut into the plastic bumper either

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah i was thinking about just removing the lower half all together but thats probably not a very good idea i guess

and what would you reccomend i do about my rear bumper situation?
i don't have a way to machine the brackets but i also dont wanna cut into the plastic bumper either

Wish I had some good advice for ya, I wanted to make sure everything fit the way it was stock, If I didn't make the brackets, I probably wouldn't have done the body lift.
I'm not sure how much trimming of the plastic would be involved if you didn't lift the bumper, but you'd have a gap between the top of the trailer hitch and the bumper skin. It may look ok,

Back