• Register Today It's free!

3000 mile thougths

gman123

Reaction score
City, State
Austin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
So I hit 3000 miles on my 2011 Explorer.
likes--
-3 rows of seating comes in real handy.
-the looks are growing on me.
-good amount of storage, when the seats are down as well as behind the 3rd row of seats.
-nice mft interface.
-for the $35k that I paid, best in class.
-fits in the garage, next to my wife's sports car.
-great for camping and road trips.

dislikes--
-braking is horrible.
-front end is too low to the ground.
-better fuel economy.

Would like to see--
-needs a 1"-2" body lift.
-rear standard wall plug in rear cargo area.

all and all, I am pleased.
I was in Hawaii for a week, and rented a 2011 Tahoe.
The Explorer is soo much nicer.
the rear storage space was actually quite a bit less on the Tahoe.
The fit and finish on the Tahoe does not compare.
For the 35k that I spent, it is really hard to improve on what I could have purchased.
If I had spent more, my options would have openned up.
But for 35k the Explorer is a darn good deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm surprised you say the braking is horrible. Mine brakes quite well. I had an '05 SCrew and this brakes far better than it did. I'm also used to the brakes in my Mach 1 (which are superb) and I'm not disappointed when I switch from the Mach to the Explorer.

yep... i think the brakes are great... stops hard and fast when you need it without getting out of shape, fade or making a fuss.

in video reviews and in the last car and driver versus a durango and pilot it stopped the shortest.

on the flip side to the OP comments...

i am not that impressed with MFT cause its just so laggy and buggy.
i'm happy with fuel economy with 22-23 mpg.

and i agree about the front end being low and wishing for the plug.

I'm surprised you say the braking is horrible. Mine brakes quite well. I had an '05 SCrew and this brakes far better than it did. I'm also used to the brakes in my Mach 1 (which are superb) and I'm not disappointed when I switch from the Mach to the Explorer.

I find the brakes to be very very good as well. We haven't exactly gotten the MPGs that we were hoping for, but it's certainly not bad. The front end is too low, though, as it hits every single curb.

I find the brakes to be very very good as well. We haven't exactly gotten the MPGs that we were hoping for, but it's certainly not bad. The front end is too low, though, as it hits every single curb.

The front end will hit a standard parking bump?

If so, doenst that mean tons of owners will need it fixed or replaced?

What happens when you hit something? Is it flexible or will it crack upon immediate impact?

Brakes are excellent. Maybe Gman123 is not used to a 6,000 pound SUV's stopping distance.

What happens when you hit something? Is it flexible or will it crack upon immediate impact?

Sadly, yes. I have popped off (and popped back in) the black plastic front bumper fascia a few times. Even going through deep snow or water, with speed, has caused it to pop out in either corner area.

true....used to driving my wife's G37 coupe, and had a Challenger R/T.

That's what I thought. Thanks for your candor. Please get used to the weight of the Explorer and proper braking distances. This becomes even more critical in winter driving and some rain conditions.

Go find an empty parking lot, and play around a little. I think the new Explorer is also excellent in the area of tail braking.

It may even sneak up on you after a car wash!:splat:

We haven't had any problem with ours breaking or popping off yet, but it does come into contact with concrete quite often. And it is somewhat flexible, but as you can see others have had trouble with it staying on.

Brakes are excellent. Maybe Gman123 is not used to a 6,000 pound SUV's stopping distance.

The Explorer weighs around 4,500 pounds.

Breaking feels at least as good as my last rig....had a 2004 4Runner Limited. That was a nice truck but I have to say the Explorer is in another league,really love the ride and feel! Just don't like the Nav package and wish for a better overall performance on MFT.

Sadly, yes. I have popped off (and popped back in) the black plastic front bumper fascia a few times. Even going through deep snow or water, with speed, has caused it to pop out in either corner area.

Would anything ugly be exposed if you simply removed it?

I think the front lower piece helps in air flow thru the engine compartment so i dont think you want to remove it.

Would anything ugly be exposed if you simply removed it?

I think the front lower piece helps in air flow thru the engine compartment so i dont think you want to remove it.

It's actually there to help with fuel mileage. On this vehicle, removing it won't affect airflow into the engine compartment.

cool, thx. thought it was for something :)

It's actually there to help with fuel mileage. On this vehicle, removing it won't affect airflow into the engine compartment.

Correct, I agree with this statement.

Crossing the street yesterday i a saw an Ex and wouldnt you know it that piece was bent at the corner on the driver side.

Anyone know how high off the ground it is?

I believe that near the corners its only 6.5", near the front in the middle its more like 8" clearance. The low corners are also going to be a problem for me, not sure if it can be trimmed back a little (at least around the corners).

Any suggestions?

Brakes and Cowling

Brakes are great. Had 2010 Ford Edge, brakes were real soft. Parking brake would not hold vehicle on driveway. Ford said the Edge brakes were OK.

Cowling is low. Have scrapped on curbs or parking lot barriers several times.

Also expect it will be a problem in deep snow. Edge was similar and front cowling was like a plow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brakes are great. Had 2010 Ford Edge, brakes were real soft. Parking brake would not hold vehicle on driveway. Ford said the Edge brakes were OK.

Cowling is low. Have scrapped on curbs or parking lot barriers several times.

Also expect it will be a problem in deep snow. Edge was similar and front cowling was like a plow.

Has anyone removed there's? If so, show us what your X looks like without it.

Thanks.

Back