31 x 10.50 or 11.50? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31 x 10.50 or 11.50?

I'm going to a 2" suspension lift, 15x8" rims with 3.75 backspacing. I'm looking at the Kumho venture MT, which comes in 31 x 10.50 or 31 x 11.50, and the 11.50's are $10 more. Would there be much of an advantage/disadvantage in going with the inch wider. I'm on sand roads a lot, so I thought the wider tire would work better. What about clearance issues with the fenders and radius arms? I want to be able to flex without hitting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it were mine i'd go with the 31x11.50. give u a little more width and more tread area. besides it'll look better and i don't see y u'd have trouble fitting them. so what if u might have to trim a hair off. u might not have to do anything at all. its simply my preference to have a wider tire for offroad. u just get what u want and then make it work.

i would stick with a a 10.5.... with that rim combo it will be plenty wide for aesthetics and will net better mileage due to less resistance

10.5 will look better IMO. The 11.5 will look way to wide. The 3.73 backspacing on the rims will make it come out a little bit as well as the extra width of the tires over stock.

EDIT: Found a picture of mine right after the lift and 31x10.5s. Notice that they do stick out past the fenders a bit. (on 15x8 3.73 Rockcrawlers)

picture0013nh.jpg

on most mud terrains the tread is way too narrow in the first place. a 31x10.50 would be plenty wide if the tread was actually 10.50. its just the sidewall thats actually 10.50 anyways the 11.50 should make the tread look just right instead of too narrow. which it already is to begin with. its soo narrow it almost looks funny. jmho :thumbsup:

in actuality it isnt going to make any difference, just going to be a littler heavier on the drive train, but you wont notice it. Personally i would go with 11.50, because i would feel like i was wasting my time and money with 10.50.

11.50 would be fine

i have 32x11.50 on 15x8s with 4.50 backspacing, no real issues. The rear tire does get close to the parking brake cable though, and i rub the wheelwell at stuff, but i mean im running a wheel with 4.50 backspacing; those are problems are given. so you will be fine, by all means no problem.

i know the thread is old but i just got the 31 1150's they are awesome they rub alittle on mine witha tt and shackles but when i get around to trimming my fenders they will be fine
pete

Back