• Register Today It's free!

33" tires with a 2" lift??

gear_grinder

Reaction score
City, State
Central MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0
hi, is it posible to fit 33" tires with a 2 inch lift with some trimming (I have the autozone shackles and T-bar crank)? thanks much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think my biggest problem might be that i have 33x12.5s on 15x8 chomes with 5" of back spacing. i actualy tried them on the other night, the back fit well and looked nice, but i could only turn the wheel about 1/2 turn befor the tires hit the fender or bumper and wouldnt go anymore. is it posible to trim off enough to fit them?

i have 31" on now (see sig). i'll prolly just have to go with body lift PA #856 or w/e it is. how does the IFS hold up with 33s?

i have 33's on my truck with only 2" lift. i removed the bottom tupperware, shimmed my fenders a little, and did some bending of the inner fenders, and a little chopping to the inner fender wells, but thats all it took. i DONT rub. im sitting on 33x12.50x15's on a 15x8" rim with 4" backspacing.

I have 32's with a 2" TT and 2" shackles. Didn't do any trimming at all (Eddie Bauer edition) and the only time they rub is when I turn the wheel while going in reverse (like leaving a parking spot or leaving my driveway).

i got 33s on it now with no fender trimming. all i did was shackles and 2 inch TT and then took the plastic pieces off cause i have a XLS it rubs once u trun the wheel more then half way but its not that bad...its only like that for now until i get my 3inch bl on...its possible but i would wait cause it messes up ur tires kinda

SilverBullet,

Where do your tires rub when in reverse? I ask because my Explorer doesn't have the fender trim and running boards like an EB. I'm planning to do a 1.5" TT and an add-a-leaf at some point, but I can't decide between 31s and 32s for tires. I had 31s on my last '98 AWD with unmodified suspension and they didn't rub at all. I'm tempted to go bigger with this one.

I stated in another thread, but I'll post here too...
with ~1/2" TT (dri. bolt bottomed out), shackles and AAL in rear, and 3" body, my 33x12.50 TrXus STS rub at ~1/2 left-hand turn.

my used 33x12.50 BFG ATs barely rubbed at all.

my rims are 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing.

part of it will depend on the actual diameter and width of the tire.

but on a 2" lift? that will take quite a lot of trimming up front. Unless you go with a skinny tire. Say, a 33x10.50 won't rub nearly as bad as a 33x12.50

33's fit if they are 33/9.5/15!

33 x 11.5s fit if you have an '01+ Sport. :D

Only mods: 1.5" - 2" TT in the front and just F150 leaves in the back. No trimming, no rubbing.

33's fit if they are 33/9.5/15!

The Explorer you're thinking of was a 1st gen, which shouldn't be able to fit as large of a tire as a 2nd gen. In fact, I recall reading somewhere on here that someone put 31s on a stock 1st gen and they rubbed, but I guess the suspension of our Explorers, both 1st and 2nd gen, aren't nearly as consistant as I had peviously thought. My 2nd gen doesn't appear to have much sag, so I'm hoping I can wedge 32s without a bodylift or major trimming. Hopefully I can get atleast 1.5" of lift from a TT. I don't mind taking a little off the bumper, but I don't want to hack into the body. Thinking back, I believe my previous Explorer could have handled 32s. It wasn't even close to rubbing with 31s. Who knows? Not me, lol.

Back