347 Stroker swap with pics and specs | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

347 Stroker swap with pics and specs

here is a pic of a Scat 9000 347 crank and its thrust bearing surface someone else has received. To me that doesn't look to be very good polishing and that makes me wonder if I got one that looked like that and the builder that built mine just threw it together (with no warranty).

8189564703_ad3c49c70d_h_zpsca6b1128.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is a pic of a Scat 9000 347 crank and its thrust bearing surface someone else has received. To me that doesn't look to be very good polishing and that makes me wonder if I got one that looked like that and the builder that built mine just threw it together (with no warranty).

8189564703_ad3c49c70d_h_zpsca6b1128.jpg

thats......encouraging....

also for what its worth, i put these in my thread, but i will also post them in yours.
comparison to my 347 flexplate on the left, 302 on the right

faces motor

10881235_10152551941667513_1369705379_n.jpg

faces converter

10872227_10152551941307513_1615711769_n.jpg

converter

10884488_10152551940942513_270448983_n.jpg

i got a response from Lentech and the guy i got a response from says that some aftermarket cranks the pilot of the converter bottoms out in the crank before any extra clearance can be removed when bolted up. He says to mock up the converter with the flexplate to check if it bottoms out. Then there is flexplate stress and your extra clearance you had technically doesn't exist.

He also replied a second time saying that there is a radius in the bottom edge of the pilot bore that can be ground out if causing interference.

That's interesting to hear that from woody. I've seen him chime in on a lot of forums and seems he knows his stuff. I saw the comment about flexplate and I am pointing fingers to that or not enough space between block and trans. I never did check clearances with new flexplate so I can't rule either out now because it's too late. I will have to wait to start again after we buy a house because my wife is already not happy with spending over 6k already and it's not finished and now having problems like this. Lol she would make me live in the garage at a new house (I don't think I'd mind with a comfy bed)

Going back to my flexplate it was only like a $60 option to add, but after looking at some reputable brands I see them for no less than low $100s. It's a no name with an SFI sticker.

I was thinking of your truck vroomzoomboom and I still have the old Eaton M112 off my 03 cobra engine i had. I was going to fab up an adapter to mount it to my stroker for maybe 5-6lb. I've got the whole upper supercharger assembly with the lower and intercooler. I thought about taking out the heat exchanger and making an adapter to fit it all but the hood is an issue, but that is just a future thought for now. I was really putting effort into finding a lightning lower and mount it to our expedition but haven't found one cheap enough.

yea, getting that to fit under the hood was a little of a challenge, and the only way to do it is shave the bottom off the blower, and us aftermarket fuel rails. which isnt a bad thing now because it probably will need them lol.
i wish i was able to get it on there faster because i havent been able to put to many miles on it for it to be proven before i sold my m90

my flexplate brand is RPM along with the rods in my engine. Not sure if they're any good because I can't find anything about them or who has used them. The rods look to be I beam not sure if they're forged

Vroomzoomboom, that explorer you bought from another member wouldn't happen to be pearl limited would it? I remember following a thread for one I really liked and kinda inspired my project.

.....maybe....
well....
yea....thats the one. i am kind of ashamed that i have taken it apart and using the motor, trans and transfer case for my truck. that still isnt sitting to well with me believe it or not.

Yeah but the good is that it's just another 96 Explorer without all the goodies you are dissecting from it. The way I see it as long as the good stuff is still used that made that vehicle good then it lives on in a different form. I gutted a 96 Mark 8 for the engine and trans seats etc... for my 95 cougar that I got from an old man real cheap. I felt bad at first but forgot about it when I drove the cougar with goodies installed.

Castrol conventional 10w-30 at first. Changed and run to 75 miles. At 500 miles I went to M1 10w-30 like I use in everything else.

My father-in-law finally got back to me with pics I sent him and believes I either had oil pump issues from the beginning or the engine build wasn't setup right. He is thinking that my thrust bearings weren't set right and the mains didn't have proper clearances to begin with. All my main bearings are already all copper and rod bearings are starting to show copper already. That's why he thinks either build issue or oiling problems. And with the pic I sent him of the scat crank pic I found he says that would be a very bad start to a new engine.

that would be a possibility in your case. i guess for you, the next step would be to pull the cam and look at the bearings there.

Yeah that's what my in-law, Joe, said. I might start pulling the top apart soon. If i don't now I'll wait until I go to Florida for vacation soon and drop it off at Joe's shop and work on it there. I'm moving down there in spring anyways.

Back