35" KM2s...installed ! ! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35" KM2s...installed ! !

Looks awesome! Great fit and very aggressive! Congrats!

I've decided on the wheels I want =-)
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/wheels.php?item=ClassicLock

Now I just need some help in deciding which size is gonna fit best.
15x8, 3 5/16" BS, -30mm Offset
16x8, 4" BS, -12 Offset
17x9, 4.5" BS, -12 Offset

Wanting to put 33x12.50's on, which I can only find for 15's. I know they say those metric sizes are equal, but I've done the math and they just aren't.

Offtrac I know you were questioning the 4.5" BS, what did you wind up going with? I'm wanting them to be closer to the road (or past the fenders), so wouldn't the -30 offset and the lesser BS be the best for that anyway?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hugh, you'll be surprised when you turn the wheels and flex the frontend. Best way to check while you're trimming is to have the tires sitting on floor jacks, turn the wheels slightly and jack up 'til you flex out or touch metal, then cut, repeat process until no rub. Have fun man..

Thanks guys.

I like those wheels. Backspacing is probably going to matter more than anything. The 15s may have one more consideration because of clearing the calipers but are usually fine. I went with 4.25" bs because I figured the 2.5" would cause too much strain on the IFS, stick out too far and cause to much cutting of the fenders. I think 4.5" may be a little too much, though. Seems that 3.75" is the sweet spot so out of what you have listed, probably the 15s or 16s. Tires for the 16s will be a bit more expensive but you definitely don't have to worry about the calipers. For what it's worth, and I haven't gotten to full lock on the steering yet, it doesn't seem like 4.25" is going to be too bad but I wouldn't go more than that, so I think the 16s might be a good choice.

Hugh, you'll be surprised when you turn the wheels and flex the frontend. Best way to check while you're trimming is to have the tires sitting on floor jacks, turn the wheels slightly and jack up 'til you flex out or touch metal, then cut, repeat process until no rub. Have fun man..

Hopefully no surprises here. I know it's going to require more, but it's still looking like the toeboard is the main concern. I have a plan for that (we'll see if it works).

Another thing I'm doing is leaving the front sway bar disconnected during the trimming process to make sure I get the maximum articulation while trimming so that when the sway bar goes back on I shouldn't have any problems. I'm sure I'll find new spots when in actual use, though.

Just be careful when banging, trimming the toeboard, the fuel cutoff switch is very touchy. Just a heads up.

Got the trimming done. I may have a little more to go as I get more time off road but flexing out around the property and I put it through all the situations I could think of. Not all of them are as extreme as I will ever put it through but it's definitely good enough for most off road trips. I'll update with pictures after dinner.

Ok, now your good to bring the Trac up here in the spring to visit family then go offroading with me and Sporty if we can all get together. Supposed to be some awesome trails down in Connellsville by him.

Looks awesome. Great work. I wonder how your gas mileage is going to be now. I bet you don't want to think about that, I know I wouldn't.

Ok, now your good to bring the Trac up here in the spring to visit family then go offroading with me and Sporty if we can all get together. Supposed to be some awesome trails down in Connellsville by him.

That is if they stop logging and tearing it up wide enough to fit big trucks up and down. Although its still a cool ride. There is a bunch of other trails and dirt roads in another area I haven't really checked out. Maybe in the spring we can do that.

Impressed!!! Nice work

Yeah, I just saw they closed Casparis, so much for mine driving.

Got some pictures but it was too dark to get good ones of the cutting.

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

Yeah, I just saw they closed Casparis, so much for mine driving.

Technically its been closed for years since they dropped the roof in, but its all state game lanes and can be accessed still as far as I know. I was in the cave a month or so ago. But we shall leave that for another thread.

Looks good Hugh. Do those tires clean out pretty easy (fling the dirt/mud out)?

Thanks Rebel. I talked to MT and they say the 15's won't work, but I dont understand why when I compare that chart on the link you sent me (see pic below if I can figure out how to attach it). If my 16's have factory offset of +25 and the 15's are -30, it looks like it pushes the wheel out away from the calipers, which I'm assuming is what the problem would be. If it is a problem, do you think if I added a 1.25" spacer to make the offset 0 they would work? I'm dead set on 15's for some reason and if these aren't going to work I'm going to be back to the drawing board and driving around on roller skates! Can't thank y'all enough for the help!
2aj0qip.jpg

Certain 15" wheels have a thicker wall then others. They probably said they won't work because the wheel wall itself is too thick. "Most Steel wheels will work because their not as thick as aluminum. If you can start a thread on this topic so we don't take over Hugh's thread, thanks. More pictures Hugh, primarily the front wheelwell, I know others wanna see as well.

I don't know how well they clean because I haven't really had a chance to test them much yet. From what I have done (shown in the pictures) they cleaned out really well but it was pretty dry. Wet enough to get picked up but not really to pack in. Street tires would have flung that stuff.

I promise to get more pictures, including the trimming, but can't promise they'll be done tonight.

I still haven't reinstalled the front sway bar and for the driving I do, it's hardly noticeable.

Up next, sliders and skid plate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was gonna ask you if you disconnected the sway bar to get that flex out of the frontend. Invest in some limiting straps if you're gonna keep it off.

Back