• Register Today It's free!

351 Windsor swap.

TippyLED

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey I got a 1993 Sport. I pulled the motor and am dropping a 351 Windsor in it. Problem
Is a have the stock 5 speed transmission should I get a different transmission and if so were from and preferably a manual with a transfer case. We are fabricators so any transmission will work just need to know which one to use. Thanks Guys!

Go with a ZF-5 Trans from an F250 or F350. Plenty strong for that motor and offroading/ towing. You will need a fullsize Tcase behind it - BW1356 I believe should work with a slight notch of the framerail. You almost certainly will need a 2-3 inch body lift to fit that bellhousing in the trans tunnel area, and/or a BFH for assistance.

i used a zf-5 and a new process 205 and modified it for twin sticks. the zf will need to be notched at the tail housing to clear the shift rail to fit this transfer case. the computer/wiring will need to be changed out as well. i took the entire body/engine harness out of a v8 explorer and swapped it out when i took out my v6. the v8 ecu from an explorer 5.0 would probably work, plus edis over distributor is nice. tweecer will allow you to make any changes to get it to run right. also i needed a 3" body lift to clear my transmission and i still need to have custom drivelines built and make a brace for the transfer case

Back