35W or 55W HID bulb | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35W or 55W HID bulb

Yes, those are DDM tuning HIDs in the stock projectors. I also have the relay harness, so we're talking about $40 plus shipping in lighting.

They are much brighter than the stock halogens were. Without a meter of some kind I can't say exactly how much brighter, but IMHO they allow you to see 3x better.

Thanks man. I think you made my mind up. That light does look bright and focused with no scatter. Maybe not as good as doing the HID projector upgrade but it does appear brighter than the stock halogens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is significantly better than the stock halogens. I've never had a single person flash when driving the Explorer. When my wife has driven our Explorer behind me(with the drop in HID kit), its never felt uncomfortable, nor passing eachother in opposite directions.

The kit I bought comes with HID bulbs that fit a 9005 housing... the same bulb type as the Halogens. The projector/reflector setup is slightly different from the Limited OEM HIDs because they use a different type of bulb. The light pattern? Nearly identical. Several users (myself included) who have installed the kits have compared them to the Ford OEM HIDs in the limited, and don't see a difference.

This forum has this same argument damn near every time an HID / headlight thread comes up or gets bumped; Its the same handful of whiners every time. Everyone telling you how awful it is is pissy that you can get the same light output as the expensive retrofit / OEM setup for incredibly cheap. The vast majority of people who have installed a drop-in HID kit have been very happy. For most of us, has nothing to do with looking cool, and everything to do with being able to see.

It is a fact that the HID kits being used to replace the halogen lights clearly produce more light. On the other hand, I don't recall anyone complaining about being able to get the HID light output from a cheaper kit than doing a proper retrofit. There is no way that you will get the same as the OEM setup.
The internal projectors are designed for the OEM bulbs so how can anyone expect that you can simply drop an HID kit into a headlamp with a projector designed for a halogen bulb and expect to rival the OEM setup? If that was the case why would Ford have 2 types of projectors? One for HID and another for Halogen.

Peter

Ditto!
Some people just can't see the forest for the trees.
They try to take the 'el cheapo' route, and get disappointed with the results.
Do it right the first time!

It is a fact that the HID kits being used to replace the halogen lights clearly produce more light. On the other hand, I don't recall anyone complaining about being able to get the HID light output from a cheaper kit than doing a proper retrofit. There is no way that you will get the same as the OEM setup.
The internal projectors are designed for the OEM bulbs so how can anyone expect that you can simply drop an HID kit into a headlamp with a projector designed for a halogen bulb and expect to rival the OEM setup? If that was the case why would Ford have 2 types of projectors? One for HID and another for Halogen.

Peter

There is no way that you will get the same as the OEM setup.

Is it the exact same down to the millimeter when projected on a wall from 40 feet? No. Is it pretty freaking close? Yeah. Is it good enough? Absolutely.

peterk9 said:
The internal projectors are designed for the OEM bulbs so how can anyone expect that you can simply drop an HID kit into a headlamp with a projector designed for a halogen bulb and expect to rival the OEM setup?
Ford did a pretty ****ty job with the headlights on both the Halogen and HID. Its not hard to rival the crap that Ford selected for the HIDs. If you need more proof of this look at the full projector retrofits that people have done. Those look TONS better than the Ford HIDs. Also, the drop in kits, ARE in fact designed for the housing they're being installed in. They use a 9005 bulb. Those of us installing such kits just so happen to be selecting a type of bulb that puts out a much larger amount of light, at a more consistent temperature.

peterk9 said:
If that was the case why would Ford have 2 types of projectors? One for HID and another for Halogen.
Who knows why ford selected a different type of projector? They may have found that the difference in costs between projectors was minimal, but the bulb type they were using was a bigger cost difference. Maybe they had experience with this type of HID bulb. Maybe it was deliberate so that people like yourself would pay more for the Limited with HIDs rather than buy an aftermarket kit. Is it so far fetched that a car company would chose design something such that you have to go thru them to get the upgrade?

You are implying that Ford first designed a projector housing for the halogen and the HID and then selected a bulb to go in them. More likely they said "Jimmy, grab our standard halogen and our standard HID bulbs that we've already got regulatory approval on. Half-ass a projector around both of them, and mark the HID one up $1000 and slap it in the limited."

I'll tell you why. Ford uses projectors designed for each OEM type bulb because Halogen and HID bulbs produce light in a different way. Since the light source is different, so to is the projector so that the output can be properly focused. Perhaps a little more research would help make your answers more believable.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
Feel free to have the last word. I'm done.

Peter

^^ Why am I not surprised by that kind of ridiculous juvenile comment?

Peter

I've been through this on a few boards and the discussion always goes downhill as people dig in their heels. Luckily this discussion has not gotten to the point, yet, where somebody says something like "I hope the guy you blind with those lights crosses the center line and kills you!".

^^ Why am I not surprised by that kind of ridiculous juvenile comment?

Peter

Because people inject posts with elitist comments. Stop suggesting we are cheapskates and you won't get comments that you think are juvenile or ridiculous.

In regards to my earlier post about getting "high-beamed with aftermarket HID's"....I put a lift on my Sport and that raised the level of my low beams...I did the adjustment to lower the elevation on my lights and I no longer get high-beamed.

For the record...I have dumped @ 4,500$ US in performance upgrades on my Sport in the 2 months I have owned it. I do NOT consider myself an "el cheapo". The HID mod that I performed warrants itself as the difference between "stock HIDs" and the "El Cheapo" method is minimal except to the elitists. I do apologize for my earlier comment but I do like to stir the pot with those that think they are above others. I will remove that post.

Thread Bump,

I’m looking to install HID’s and have a few ballast kits laying around. Has anyone used a 55w setup for a long period of time on a 11-15’ Explorer? My concern is the increased heat dissipation/output of the bulb hooked up to 55w over a 35w ballast. We travel back roads often and prefer a greater light output but do not want to damage the headlight itself or the low-to-high bean switching mechanism in the headlights.

Thanks!

Thread Bump,

I’m looking to install HID’s and have a few ballast kits laying around. Has anyone used a 55w setup for a long period of time on a 11-15’ Explorer? My concern is the increased heat dissipation/output of the bulb hooked up to 55w over a 35w ballast. We travel back roads often and prefer a greater light output but do not want to damage the headlight itself or the low-to-high bean switching mechanism in the headlights.

Thanks!
I found this article that may be of interest. Not the part where it says the either HID bulb will cause glare when installed in a housing not designed for HID.
35W VS 55W HID Conversion Kits: Which One Is Better?

Peter

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here replace their stock HID? just want to ask if it's really need to remove the whole bumper to get access to the headlight assembly? I am planning to upgrade my HID to Osram nightbreaker laser, I ask ford how much will it cost to replace the stock hid bulbs and they told me, bumper removal cost $200(cad) because it is a 2 hour job.

TIA

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here replace their stock HID? just want to ask if it's really need to remove the whole bumper to get access to the headlight assembly? I am planning to upgrade my HID to Osram nightbreaker laser, I ask ford how much will it cost to replace the stock hid bulbs and they told me, bumper removal cost $200(cad) because it is a 2 hour job.

TIA
Check out the posts here where a member (tonystewart) did a correct HID upgrade by replacing the actual housings, not just a 'kit'. Looking at the pictures, you will see that he had to remove/loosen the bumper. HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Peter

I am moving to Nevada where there are large expanses of dark desert roads, etc. to drive through at night. I tried the LED conversion, went back to halogens but using the ones where you have to clip the "ears" to mount the higher output ones. Works pretty well. If I wanted to have an actual HID upgrade done with proper projector housings, etc. what am I looking at total cost wise (approx) to get the job done right? Note that I have a Westin bull bar on my front bumper.

Do I go to a dealer or one of those independent shops and am I asking for "Complete HID headlight conversion" when I shop around?
THANKS

Back