3rd gen Locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen Locker?

Greenmachine44

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey guys,
Been searching for a while and can't find a definitive answer as to if the 3rd gens IRS 8.8 can except a standard 8.8 locker. Primarily was interested in a lunchbox locker. Saw a few have installed them but required modifications. Was wondering what the mods were and how difficult? Thanks alot, this forum has already given me alot of info.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a thread on here somewhere about that. Try searching for it.

Search

The info on 3rd gen lockers is all over the joint. This thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=282464 has some excellent infomation. It would be nice to have one thread address all the options pro's and con's etc of lunchbox's, air lockers, aussies, true loc and the rest. I think the fact we have bugger all flex means that adding a locker almost doubles the 4x4 capability of of a 3rd gen.

G'day and Welcome by the way.:thumbsup:

Hey guys,
Been searching for a while and can't find a definitive answer as to if the 3rd gens IRS 8.8 can except a standard 8.8 locker. Primarily was interested in a lunchbox locker. Saw a few have installed them but required modifications. Was wondering what the mods were and how difficult? Thanks alot, this forum has already given me alot of info.:D

Yes it will work.

You DO need to remove the differential from the truck, which means you need to remove brakes, rotors, hubs, and pop the axles out too. Thats probably the hardest part about the whole thing.

I can only speak to the Aussie Locker as that is the one I am using, but if the Powertrax locker is similar then it might work too.

Take a look at this pic first:

AussieLocker.jpg

See those two round washer-looking things in the middle row? Those are called spacers. The problem with the 8.8 Aussie kit as you buy it is the holes in those spacers are too small to allow the IRS axles through the hole in the middle, which keeps the axles from allowing to be fully inserted into the differential. The IRS axles are bigger in diameter at the ends than the solid axle shafts. It's REALLY important that you be able to get the axles in all the way in, since the IRS doesn't use C-Clips on its axles, but circlips at the very end. Without these locking into the diff properly, your axle can just walk right out of the diff housing.

So, with that said, the mods required are pretty simple:

-You need to enlarge the hole in the middle of the spacers to 1.370 inches to allow the IRS axles to come all the way through and lock inside the diff
-One person I know of still had issues with the axles getting in quite far enough to lock, so he filed a bit off of the ends of the axles so they'd go into the diff a bit farther and lock
-Another guy did the same thing by shaving some thickness off of the spacers (not sure how much he did). This is tricky because it will affect the operating clearances of the locker, so don't go over about .010

The locker is made of very very hard steel, so I recommend you take it to a machine shop to get it done. They did a good job (alot better than I could do with a dremel or die grinder lol). Also, it's important that the amount of metal taken off is even all over the spacer, especially if you shave off the thickness of them.

That's about all there is to it. The operating clearance measurements still apply as they do with the solid axle 8.8.

Hey, thanks a bunch for the help guys. Ronin8002 that part about the enlarging the spacers is what I was looking. Still trying to perfect my searching skills. lol But you answered the question for me thanks alot. :)

Just do as Ronin8002 said. The only reason I shaved the spacer is to get proper clearance. I have had mine in some really hard situations and it always gets me out. Good luck and have some fun in the dirt lol.:thumbsup:

How bad is the clicking from you guys running Aussie's? Just wondering.

Alright my truck makes funny noises anyway haha. I'd love to put an aussie in the rear and a 3.73 lsd upfront.

I've got a 3.73 L.S.D. in the back of my rig and I'm looking at these three option's (shipping included). I'm looking at a locker that requires no modification and any extra part's I may need to install i.e bearings, shim's etc. I would appreciate any comment's or experience you have to share.

option 1) Powertrax No slip $586.50
option 2) Eaton E locker $900.00
option 3) ARB Air locker $995.00 (does not include compressor)

(I know we've had a bit of a yarn about this Ronin, but I'm just trying to sort everything out before I fork out the coin! :D)

I have a Powertrax in the back of my 2nd gen and I'm happy with it. Install was easy (the second time, the first time I didn't read the directions good enough and installed it wrong and broke it). Other than a slight wiggle when going from power to coasting, and back, its hard to tell its there. No noise or anything, and its phenomenal off road. I think a selectable locker is a bit much for the rear of a vehicle personally. Yeah its nice, but at almost double the money. Up front is where a selectable is better. With a lunchbox locker like the Powertrax its unnoticeable. Doesn't chirp or tear up tires like a spool, unless you mash the gas around a corner. On occasion mine has "loaded up" and kind of unloaded on me, but only when I'm turning as tight as possible, for more than 180 degrees. When I straighten out after that and hit the gas it kind of pops and chirps a tire.

Thank's mate!

Glad to help, just make sure you read the directions thoroughly lol. Use heavy axle grease to kind of "glue" the pieces together when you put it in. You'll see what I mean when/if you install it.

No worries will do:chug::thumbsup:

Anyone running an Eaton e locker?

The ECTED Max. Looks like it's a Limited Slip when turned off but a locker when you turn it on. Sweet!

Runs about 600-700 dollars plus the cost of install.

Edit: only downside is when the LS clutches wear out, you can't rebuilt it yourself...it has to come out and go back to Auburn.

The ECTED Max. Looks like it's a Limited Slip when turned off but a locker when you turn it on. Sweet!

Runs about 600-700 dollars plus the cost of install.

YEP THATS THE ONE!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A 4x4 shop by me wants 252 plus fluids to install....

After much reading on here and google, watching some youtube and searching Ebay I bit the bullet and ordered an ARB air locker. I'll only be able to afford to eat noodles and rice for the next two week's but I'm hoping it's worth it. Now I have to save up for the compressor. Altho' I'm busted arse (broke, poor) for now I did save $400 by buying it on ebay rather than the local arb dealer (who didn't have the rd81 for an explorer anyway) and I don't have any import/custom's duty/tax to pay because I made it under the import threshold by $3.50. I went for a selectable locker because I love the way my X drive's on road and wanted to keep her like that, seeing as I do alot of miles on twisty turny highway's. This is going to take awhile to get in, but at least the main bit of kit is out of the way!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back