3rd gen original wheel offset versus what you have now? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen original wheel offset versus what you have now?

I have a 3rd generation 2002 Explorer. I'm looking to put 20" rims on it with tire size 275/55R20. My question is:

1. If you have a 3rd gen Explorer do you know what the original wheel offset is/was?

2. If you put new wheel on then do you know what the offset is now?

3. Is there an offset range I need to stay within to prevent rubbing issues with the 275/55/R20?

I was looking at the BOSS 301 rims but they have an offset of 14mm. Would this be a problem for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you read the sticky: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153350

That shows you how to measure offset and backspacing. If you still have the factory wheels, take them off and measure them - then you'll know what you need to get to stay within the same setting. Hope that helps

-Drew

I have the MB Motoring Express 20x9 with +18 offset. I have no issues at all with it

Tire size?

Will a 285/50/R20 work on your rims without any rubbing?

It should fit with the right backspacing! It's about a 31" tall tire and a 11" wide tire -- should fit!

-Drew

a 285/50/20 will be about 1" bigger than stock and wider, so I wouldn't do it. I went with the 275/45/20 which is the exact size of stock (1/2" wider though), then you wont have to worry about a thing.

I was looking at the 275/55 or 285/50 because IMHO the 275/45 look a bit on the wimpy side...there is all that space between the tire and the wheel well. I think the tires I'm looking at look a lot beefier.

Check the backside of the wheels. Most wheels are labeled, look for a number like "44ET", my spare 17" stock 2004 wheel is 44mm of offset. Those 14mm wheels will be outward 30mm more than stock, plus tire width changes.

That 275/55/20 sounds like a 32" tire, is that what you want? Check out the wheel and tire weights, if you go over 60-65 pounds total, performance and efficiency will plummet. Good luck,

Yup, that's a 32x11.00" tire

-Drew

Back