• Register Today It's free!

3rd high brake light not working

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
hi there, can anyone please help me to solve this problem...

My 3rd high brake light not woking at all, i checked if theres a 12v power on the plug but nothing, im trying to find where the wiring go to so i can check from the other end first.

Im not sureif this 3rdbrakelight have a fuse or relay but all i can say is all my side to side rear brakelights work....

Please help,i almost took everything off RH side kick panel and LH side kick panel...

im planning just by pass it direct to rear brake light wire but i rather do it properly.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm a noob with a 95 that has a 3rd brake light problem too. Now I haven't tried to fix it yet (not that high on the list lol), but from a quick search I read about some models having a ballast that is bad about going out.

I think I read that ballast can be found near the brake light, possibly hidden behind the liftgate's plastic trim piece. May try looking for that ballast there if you haven't already. Maybe someone not a noob can shed more light :)

I'm a noob with a 95 that has a 3rd brake light problem too. Now I haven't tried to fix it yet (not that high on the list lol), but from a quick search I read about some models having a ballast that is bad about going out.

I think I read that ballast can be found near the brake light, possibly hidden behind the liftgate's plastic trim piece. May try looking for that ballast there if you haven't already. Maybe someone not a noob can shed more light :)

thanks for the quick reply my friend, but yeah i checked that ballast located behind the 3rd brake light (inside top tail gate) but my problem waqs there's no 12V goin to the plug.

im wondering if theres a fuse or relay that i could change but the other question is where they located at?

Ok well I will try and ask my Ford mechanic buddy tomorrow. I'll probably need the same info for mine as well. Hopefully I can post some info tomorrow if the question hasn't been answered.

Ok well I will try and ask my Ford mechanic buddy tomorrow. I'll probably need the same info for mine as well. Hopefully I can post some info tomorrow if the question hasn't been answered.

thats good my friend, keep me posted... i asked all electrician in my area but no one knows about the explorer and explorer here in Sydney are not that popular bcos its all import. Im mechanic myself and im kinda gett'n into it.... but yeah let me know...

My 3rd high brake light not woking at all, i checked if theres a 12v power on the plug but nothing, im trying to find where the wiring go to so i can check from the other end first.

Im not sureif this 3rdbrakelight have a fuse or relay but all i can say is all my side to side rear brakelights work....

Please help,i almost took everything off RH side kick panel and LH side kick panel...

im planning just by pass it direct to rear brake light wire but i rather do it properly.....

I know this is a silly question, but did you have someone step on the brake pedal when you checked for power? I had a friend start tearing everything apart only to find out he hadn't depressed the pedal and put power to the light.

There's also a fuse for that. Check your manual. It's a diffrent fuse than the lower brake lights.

You need to determine if your vehicle has a neon based light (which requires a ballast) or otherwise. IF it is neon... you can't just run a wire to the light from another brake light.

Further, your description of the test is not very clear. where are you testing for the voltage ... at the light? at the ballast (if there is one). As suggested by someone, hopefully you are checking with the brakes depressed. In addition, testing a ballast isn't very easy.... outside of checking to see if the proper voltage is applied to the incoming side. The output is high voltage and dependent on a "valid load" (ie. good tube or equivalent).... so if your tube is bad, you will have a problem looking at the ballast output. Check a tube is difficult also... usually you need a good system to swap in the tube. Lots of people have swapped out a tube based system with LEDs with success. As always, search is your friend with finding those posts. Good day Mate.

I know this is a silly question, but did you have someone step on the brake pedal when you checked for power? I had a friend start tearing everything apart only to find out he hadn't depressed the pedal and put power to the light.

There's also a fuse for that. Check your manual. It's a diffrent fuse than the lower brake lights.

Ha ha ha yes my friend someone was pressing the pedal and both side rear brake light working except the 3rd light which on top of the tailgate..
The question too is where is the fuse box for this or any relay i could check, i tried to follow the wiring but cant see because of the roof linning....

You need to determine if your vehicle has a neon based light (which requires a ballast) or otherwise. IF it is neon... you can't just run a wire to the light from another brake light.

Further, your description of the test is not very clear. where are you testing for the voltage ... at the light? at the ballast (if there is one). As suggested by someone, hopefully you are checking with the brakes depressed. In addition, testing a ballast isn't very easy.... outside of checking to see if the proper voltage is applied to the incoming side. The output is high voltage and dependent on a "valid load" (ie. good tube or equivalent).... so if your tube is bad, you will have a problem looking at the ballast output. Check a tube is difficult also... usually you need a good system to swap in the tube. Lots of people have swapped out a tube based system with LEDs with success. As always, search is your friend with finding those posts. Good day Mate.

Hi! Yes this system i have have ballast and i think its not just a ordinary brake light. First someone was pressing the brake pedal and both side brake lights work except the 3rd light, i pulled the tailgate cover and removed the 3rd light backing plate and i found the ballast there. Theres only 2wires goin to ballast and 2wires from ballast to the 3rd brake light, i checked the wires goin before the ballast which it supposed to give 12v power to ignite the ballast but theres nothing at all. I was thinking to have that 12v i may just bypass it from the actual brake light wiring which located on the side.
For me i rather find the real problem and sort it out and do it properly, if theres any suggestion please let me know, thanks heaps!;)

OK I understand... you were going to run a wire from working light to the input of the ballast and hope it works. That would be a good "test"... at least that way you can be sure that you have 12 volts in when the "associated" light comes one.

The other place to look, is under the bumper area as there are connectors there for stuff that people have found in the past to be an issue (for trailoring and such). Of course, it might be different for "down there".

OK I understand... you were going to run a wire from working light to the input of the ballast and hope it works. That would be a good "test"... at least that way you can be sure that you have 12 volts in when the "associated" light comes one.

The other place to look, is under the bumper area as there are connectors there for stuff that people have found in the past to be an issue (for trailoring and such). Of course, it might be different for "down there".

Thats right my friend, by the way you mentioned about the rear bumper area, whats in there to look for? I cant recall any wires there except for my towing power supply...
If theres anything more please let me know, im dying to fix this problem.

Thanks heaps!;)

Search is always your friend mate... :)

try this one

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221741&highlight=brake+light+bumper+connector

very interesting link my friend, many thanks....

ill read through it and see if i can pick some hints there, i just remember i replaced one of a positive wiring there i manage to install a solenoid and fit a thicker cable and have distributor block and one of the wiring to my trailer plug i manage to wired it up into that distributor block for better current.
ill check on that too maybe i left some wire hanging, good thinking my friend...

thanks, ill keep up to date and let you know what happen later.....

If it were me I'd do a search or google online for the manual and check the fuse. I'll see if I can locate mine, but for some reason I think it's fuse 10 but I'd rather be sure.

Is yours the 4.0 or 5.0?

It's fuse number 2 in the fuse panel inside on the drivers side of the dash. It's a 7.5 amp fuse and the only thing on this fuse is the third brake light.

yup tried it and cleaned it as i expected it not gonna work, i dont see how the trailer connectors connected into the 3rd brake light...
somehow its kinda give me hope but i guess i just gonna keep looking for the answer.....

yes if you have anymore link my friend just keep it coming....!;)

Re post: NJMike [cleaning out the trailer connector when the CHMSL won't light. I was told about the trick two or three years ago by an old Ford mechanic. Seems that the connectors, even with the covers on, tend to fill with road salt, grime and muck. This slurry doesn't create a dead short, but acts as a resistor between the pos and neg, with the result that although there is enough juice to operate the tail lights, there's not enough to trigger the ballast.]

It's fuse number 2 in the fuse panel inside on the drivers side of the dash. It's a 7.5 amp fuse and the only thing on this fuse is the third brake light.

oh yes my engine is 4.0lt my friend...

yeah ill double check that fuse but im pretty sure i checked them all but still wondering how come theres no 12v in the connector which is connected into the ballast...

i just wich if i could just follow that wires so i can rectify the problem but im stuck and dont wanna pull off the head linning...

You can get owners manuals here Dead Link Removed

oh yes my engine is 4.0lt my friend...

yeah ill double check that fuse but im pretty sure i checked them all but still wondering how come theres no 12v in the connector which is connected into the ballast...

i just wich if i could just follow that wires so i can rectify the problem but im stuck and dont wanna pull off the head linning...

BUT there is more to checking a fuse than "checking the fuse"... you also need to check that there is something coming to the fuse (holder) AND indeed leaving it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUT there is more to checking a fuse than "checking the fuse"... you also need to check that there is something coming to the fuse (holder) AND indeed leaving it.

yes, i did check and all the fuses have power and not blown... but i dont have an idea which is for the 3rd brake light. i followed your instruction but yes it did have 12v power and fuse not blown....

Back