98EB No Brake Lights and Flickering 3rd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98EB No Brake Lights and Flickering 3rd

jhollis

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Arrived home last night and discovered the 3rd brake light maintaining a constant low level flicker and no brake lights. Checked all fuses as well as pulling and inspecting/cleaning switch on brake pedal. 3rd light flickers even with brake light switch disconnected. What do I check next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stil Without Brake Lights

Following up, I replaced the BOO switch today and the problem is still there. The 3rd brake light emits a low level flicker constantly but does function correctly when the brakes are applied. It will stop flickering momentarily when there is a current draw, such as locking/unlocking the doors, but will begin again after a few seconds. I have pulled/checked every fuse and every bulb and all were good. I have also searched all of the forums without finding a resolution. Anyone else experience this and come up with a solution?

Thanks.

jhollis said:
Following up, I replaced the BOO switch today and the problem is still there. The 3rd brake light emits a low level flicker constantly but does function correctly when the brakes are applied. It will stop flickering momentarily when there is a current draw, such as locking/unlocking the doors, but will begin again after a few seconds. I have pulled/checked every fuse and every bulb and all were good. I have also searched all of the forums without finding a resolution. Anyone else experience this and come up with a solution?

Thanks.
Hey jhollis, check out this thread. I am having the same issue exactly as you describe. Found this thread this moring at 3:00 am so I going to check out my regular brake lights later today. Hope this helps. I was totally stumped before I read this.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99296&highlight=blinking+brake+light

I just changed both bulbs today and all is good. It even fixed my auto door locks which stopped working recently. I guess the "auto" function is linked to the brake lights.

Re: Flickering 3rd brake light

I know this is an old thread, but I will post anyway for those who use the search function.

I had the same problem. No lower brake lights and a flickering 3rd brake light. After a lot of troubleshooting, I finally found the problem was related to the theft deterent system. The computer had a fried channel and was placing a constant ~8V on the brake lights. It was intended to flash the brake lights when the alarm was activated. This constant low voltage burned out the bulbs on the lower brake lights. The low voltage of 8V was enough to charge the ballast for the 3rd brake light, but did not provide enough current to keep it on solid; a constant charge / discharge event on the 3rd brake light was causing the flickering.

My fix was to cut the wire leaving the alarm system and going to the brake lights. Of course the proper fix would be to replace the alarms system module.

James

Back