• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV exhaust question!!!

Slick

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport 2wd
I am about to get exhaust installed on my 95 explorer sport, with the flowmaster muffler. Trouble is i went to buy the muffler and they needed to know which one, like what inlet outlet offset stuff that I had no idea about. Does anyone know exactly what I need??? Please HELP!! Also what series Flowmaster muffler would you guys choose? my friend just got the 40 series delta flow on his v8 silverado, is there anyway in hell I can make my v6 sound anything like that? I want it to be deep throaty, and mean sounding. No buzzing or anything like that at all, no high pitched stuff. Please let me know all you guys know about this stuff. Thanks a lot!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I lamented over this issue, too. I ened up with a Magnaflow muffler instead (with 2.25" pipe). I love it. Torque and power are now constant throught the RPM spectrum whereas before my 4.0L bogged down when going through the 50-60 MPH range.

Nice sound too... a little rumble, but at idle it is quiet!

-RB

Thank you for your response. Right now tho I am pretty much set on the flowmaster mufflers cuz I just love the sound of them. I have decided on either the 40 series delta or 50 series. Do you happen to know the muffler specifications like input output offset kinda stuff? please let me know!!

OK i've been doing searches on here to see what would work best with my 4.0 OHV 2 door X. I've heard a few people saying dual exhaust will decrease my backpressure and thus less torque. However some others are saying that if they get 2.25" pipes going out the back it will not decrease it. Anyone know?? Also I **REALLY** need to know the inlet/outlet/offset for my X. Does ANYONE know which flowmaster muffler I should get? I want 40 or 50 series. Please let me know. Also which will sound better with my v6 OHV engine??? HELP!

I have the flowmaster Delta 50.

It sounds great, without being too annoying. As for the offset, it should be an offset inlet and a center outlet. Just look under your X andlook at the muffler. If the pipe coming frmt he engine is on oe side or the other it's offest. If the pipe is in the middle it's center. My X had a offset inlet and center outlet.

As for the pipe size, I have 2.5" pipe. It's not mandrel bent (smooth curves), so it makes up for some of the diameter lost when bending. I don't have any trouble with lost torque.

Check this out.

Dead Link Removed

The one for you should be the 942452 for the 2.25" or the 942551 for the 2.5".

Does anyone have dual exhaust on their 4.0 OHV and can u tell me about it? Also if you do, did u just get a muffler with offset inlet and dual outlet i guess? let me know i am clueless

i have a 97 4dr with single in/dual out 40 series flowmaster (NOT DELTAFLOW). the sound is pretty good. it's not to loud but i does have a little rumble to it.

i dont know what the part number was or the pipe sizing, but i have a family friend do the exhaust for me.

i kept the spare tire under the truck and they piped around it. they went over the rear axle and came pretty close to the spare and then went inbetween the leaf springs and frame (the same way it comes out on the passenger side).

muffler: $92.** special order

install/piping: $215.00

me and my wife love it (she's the one that asked about putting a flowmaster on it).

i have pics at home only of the back and the sides, not any from undernieth yet (waiting for next oil change).

if you want i'll send'em to ya'.

Well I got it put on this morning. Flowmaster 40 series delta muffler with the single 2.5" pipe coming out the back where it was originally. Sounds awesome, not as loud as I would like, but I doubt there was much more I could do for a v6. Definetly worth the money though I am very happy with it.

my explorer has a deep growl and rumble at idle. the pipe broke off at the front of the muffler.:)

Did you get offset inlet center outlet or center inlet offset outlet?

Im pretty sure i got offset inlet, center outlet. i actually cant remember now, but i think thats what it was.

If you plan to do other mods to your intake and engine (performance bolt on's) you can really benefit from a 2.5" cat back setup, there is no need for dual exhaust on a V-6 truck (or even a V-8 for that matter) and the 2.25" is good but the 2.5" is better........

I ordered my flowmaster system from summit racing, it sounds great, the cat back kit runs 159.00, maybe give them a call

I'm tired of hearing about only sound. What cat back system (pipe size and muffler) will free up the MOST POWER for my 4.0 OHV. I have K&N FIPK and BBk throttle body. Its got some ok air flowing to it, time to free up the exhaust some. ( a nice rumble would be a plus however). Any suggestions????

Sorry, didn't mean to annoy you. Actually the best setup for POWER has already been stated.

Flowmaster 40/50 with 2.5" pipe.

If all you want is power then just put on a straight pipe from the catalytic converter back. Otherwise noise is the most important issue. A loud truck can get really annoying after a while.

i thought a simple pipe would actually lose low end power. And also, i wasn't annoyed i was just being sarcastic :)

Magnaflow or Flowmaster with single 2.25 or 2.5" tailpipe.

thanks alec. I think you might also know this... i've search but always get confused with all the info. What are the differences between superchip and hypertech. like how they perform, increase in power, what octane you can run and be ok, where in the rpm band is the increase mainly... etc etc... oh and price, i dunno where to get a chip for the cheapest...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an old Hypertech chip in my garage. If I can find it and our computer codes match (I doubt it) you can have it for $30+shipping.

I enjoyed my Hypertech until I removed it when I got the s/c. From what I hear the Hypertech and Superchip chips are comparable. However, I don't think Hypertech makes chips for us anymore, just programmers. IMO the programmer is actually better since it's tunable by you, but it is more expensive ($300). The chips are usually around $200-250. Oh, and there's also Diablo.

With the chips you have to run premium. You can tune the Hyp programmer for whatever fuel you want. Also, the programmer keeps the stock program in it's memory so you can return it to stock instantly when you take it in for service or something.

But look for your computer code (could be on GEM, driver door, driver door frame, top of computer, or sticker on 'brain' in jack compartment). I'll get mine and we'll see if they match. If they do, I think your hunt is over.

Back