• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Pushrod vs. SOHC

IronIndian

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo
Could someone elaborate on the differences between the pushrod 4.0 and the SOHC 4.0? My Pushrod 4.0 took a dump and am looking for options on a replacement...Could I use a SOHC engine? What would you guys replace it with? My budget is around $1k...I'd like to hear from yall!!! :D Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO you cannot just bolt in a SOHC in the OHV's place. there are many differences, also the SOHC never came in a 91 which has a completely different front suspension = does not exactly fit.

Yes it is possible to do a SOCH drivetrain conversion, but not for $1000.
It would be as much work as a 5.0L V8 conversion many say.

Your best bet is to have your OHV rebuilt or replaced with a low mile unit.

What happened to your engine?

Blown headgasket :(

So did it hurt something else? Why can't you change the gasket? It'll only cost the $100-$150 for gasket set and some time.

It already has 100k+ miles on it...Mind as well pull and replace...

You're going to be hard pressed to do any type of engine swap for a grand. Even getting a new OHV in there will be tough with that budget.

BUT getting two heads from a 93-94 4.0L and having them rebuilt, then bolting them on is very do-able for that budget. The 93 heads were updated and stronger.

the short block is likely fine. You can do a compression test to make sure.

Teh OHV 4.0L in those 91's, if you can keep them cool and avoid head issues, they will run forever. 100K + is half life easy.

It sounds like, from what you posted, that you did not crack the head! Or maybe you do not know yet. Anyway, why not tear it down, have it tested as was said, and at best, simply re-do the gasket, and at worst, find some new heads and put them on. Either way you'll be in your budget I think.

Like 410 said, 100K miles is low milage for these things. Fix it as cheap and easy as possible IMO.

Back