4.0 = Sluggish?

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
I'm new to the Ex scene. Hell, I'm new to the 6 cyl scene. LOL
My daily driver in Spring, summer, and fall is a 98 Cobra.
Is it just me, or do these 4.0L's have NO balls?
The 94 I just picked up has 151k on it.
Driving it on the highway, if I stand on the accelerator, the car will crawl from 65-75, but it takes a while. I can barely feel it accelerate.
There is no "miss" in the motor. It runs smooth, and "free revs" real strong in Park.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 = **** and get. do a tune up replace the fuel filter and hope to god that you have 3.73 gears. if u have 3.27 then it will seem to have no balls at all

If I checks the tag on the pumpkin it should tell me the gears, correct?

The plugs look to be a pain in the ass on the pass side. Is the fuel filter located above the rear end? I just know that's where it is on the stang.

it will tell you the code for the gears then you can check the code on here to find out what gear set you have as for the fuel filter on mine its on the driver side up on the frame rail up by the driver side door or so. for the plugs pop off the passenger side tire its much easier to get to,

My 94 had no balls till I replaced a faulty tranny modulator.

I also suggest the tps mod and throttle cable mod. Also fix all vacuum leaks.

Going from a 98 Mustang Cobra to a 94 EX it's going to feel slow no matter how well it runs, your going from a light car to a semi-heavy truck.

Like some of the other posts mentioned you can do alot of the little maintenance tips that can make a big differance. Do some research on this site and you can find a few things that should help. The gearing does make a big differance but it should still have some giddyup to it.

Is it manual or auto? 4x4 or 2x4? Check the codes and see what gear you have.

My 98 4.0 does really well for 210k miles. I can't spin the tires because I have 4x4 auto (no brown wire mod yet) but I can make them chirp and when it drops into passing gear it doesn't hesitate.

My 94 had no balls till I replaced a faulty tranny modulator.

I also suggest the tps mod and throttle cable mod. Also fix all vacuum leaks.

Where is the tranny modulator located? Got a pic?

I'm assuming the throttle cable mod is just ptting a piece of hose on the cable, in front of the pedal assembly.

Really need to do some site searching. You can gain a great wealth of knowledge by spending an hour or 2 reading all the info on this site.

Thanks for the help, I guess
I searches for trans modulator and barely found anything. just people saying to check it.

Go to Autozone or NAPA and get yourself a manual on your vehicle. That will help you a whole lot with finding some of the parts mentioned sometimes.

Also read all the sticky's at the top of each forum.

There's 1 all about the auto trans & how to rebuild them. Has the modulator info.

I think its also called Vacuum Modulator.

Guys, I'm trying to swap out my fuel filter, put the side toward the front of the car doesn't want to come off..
The disconnect tool won't fit where it's supposed to.
Any ideas?

Make sure you have the metal tool, not the plastic one. and you have to really work it in there. i threw a lot of stuff at the wall, and drank many beers in my attempts.....

Push and pull the filter as you do it.

This clamp system sucks .

As for the Passenger plugs.

Three you can get from the top.

Take off teh Air Snorkle

The One to the firewall. Take off the Passenger tire and get a 12" extension and a deep socket with a 'U' joint attached. OR a separarte 'U' joint that you can put between the Extension and the socket.

Guys, upon closer inspection, someone installed the wrong filter.
The new one I bought has longer shafts on the ends. The current fuel filter has less than 1/4" of space between the coupling and the filter. There's not enough room to slide the disconnect tool in there.

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

swear at it cuss spit call it names and maybe there will be a miracle and it will work. try to work the tool in there as best you can and hope for the best

Use one of those drum brake tools that looks like an S (I've never known the proper name for it lol) and pry the filter off... that's what I did. Worse case scenario, you break the retaining clip in the line and have to buy another one for a couple bucks. :)

I wasn't aware that the retaining clips were available seperately.

Are they available at NAPA?

I'll try to work something in there, but there's hardly any room at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah Im not too sure about NAPA, I never checked... I checked a few small part shops that didn't have the right ones, and Part Source which gave me a dumb look when I told them what I needed. NAPA seems to be a more professional place then those two, oh and canadian tire didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned it either. NAPA might I'm not sure. I ended up going to the dealer and spent 8$ CDN per clip. Rip off I know, but I had no choice. Save the clip (I didn't) and show NAPA and most likely then not they will have it. Good luck

P.S. That's if it does break, one of my clips didn't even break so you may have better luck then me

Back