4.0 SOHC EE Supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC EE Supercharger

I am very interested in either doing a turbo set up on my truck or the EE supercharger.

Im stuck in between which would be better, and I also have a Auto tranny.
Any thoughts?

Also of EE web, i read that you need to get a new throttle body and inlet hose?
On their site it only shows a OHV throttle body, as mine is a SOHC, and I cant find anything about the inlet hose?

Also 18psiexplorer has talked to me about doing a turbo at his shop so thats also high on my list

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the turbo. A supercharger cannot hang with a properly sized turbo on our motors.

What about my auto tranny, will it survive?

Yes, up until around 9LBS of boost. You'll want to get it re-programmed so it shifts quicker and it's a good Idea to install a temp gauge and a better/bigger - the biggest non-tube style tranny cooler you can fit.

I have an oversized tranny pan; stock cooler; a custom tranny tune and run mobile one synthetic (now royal purple). Do some searching in the tranny forum on how to adjust the bands and keep up with that. This combination seems to work as I’ve had no issues.

Heck, my rear-end blew out and that was supposed to be the strongest pc on our trucks? You just never know but the tranny should hold up.

I think it all depends on how you drive the truck as well. You could be stock dogging it and blow something. That's why I like to keep an eye on the tranny temp gauge. If it starts climbing then I know to give it a rest for awhile.

Well thats good to hear.

Do you have any preferences to what the best or most efficient turbo, that i could put in? Will a used on work? or is that a bad idea? lol

Thanks for info its a big help

yes, a used turbo will work fine. Do an internet search for "the bad wolf project" then look for the website forced4

You can get some ideas on the right size to use there. Then go to ebay and start searching around. You'll be suprised.

Jakee- That mustang is pretty sick; im beating you have but, have you heard of placing the turbo underneath the vehicle as in, not in the engine bay? pros and cons of that?

Scotty J.- Just to be able to have some extra punch, when i tromp on it, and to run some times at the track; right now i cant even do a brake stand???? lol but i am from canada and i do have winters on it!

Jakee- I'm finding a whole bunch of t3/t4 turbos on ebay for about 150.00 CAN, idk but that seems really cheap for a turbo? I was expecting near a 1000 bucks?

Yes, my turbo is underneath the truck; right where the cat convertor is supposed to be.

It's up to you on the turbo. I have a friend that bought one of those cheap turbo's and it's holding up well. You could start off with a cheap turbo and upgrade someday to a better one if you'd like; that would get you going. Keep researching and you find out why some are more costly than others.

You can do another search for intercooler piping and you'll be amazed again. Then search for mandrel bends (for the exhaust AKA "hot side")

You can do this pretty cheap. The thing is you have to pc the entire kit together but it’s really not that bad. The thing you do not want cheap is the waste gate, the MAF sensor, and the tuning after you get everything installed. There's other things but keep searching and I'll help guide you when you have questions.

You could buy an STS universal kit like I did. THis will come with a turbo, wastegate, flanges, bolts, oil line...etc. It's around 2 grand and you'll pc the rest together. The advantage is you get the right size turbo; a good brand; and good wastegate.

Those STS kits are pretty sweet
That looks like a good option as well.
Are you running an intercooler from them as well?
Do you have a link for your build? Id like to see how you ran your piping.

Ha nvm about the link im pretty sure i just found it
looks like i have some reading to do today lol which is great!

I used an ebay intercooler.

Well just trying to understand a turbo system more clearly:

So the exhaust gases from my exhaust manifolds is piped into the 'in' on my compressor and my 'exhaust tip' is piped from my 'out' on the compressor?
And for my air in on the motor, air is drawn in from the turbine portion of the turbo on the 'in' side and piped to the intake on my motor from the 'out'.

So my exhaust gases spin the compressor, which internally connected spins the turbine, increasing air pressure/amount reaching the intake.

Also i read today that having a remote mounted turbo allows the turbo to run about 500 degrees cooler. Also that having longer charge pipe from the 'out' on the turbine to the intake allows the air cool faster, therefore making the turbo system more affective.(made sense to me except for the distance part of this). They also mentioned that when reducing the IAT's, for every one degree you gain half a horse power??

Let me know your thoughts on the previous

I am really starting to like the idea of a remote turbo system the more i research on it.

Jakee- Many of the applications that I have seen all over the web today, have the turbo mounted after the rear axle. I noticed in your thread that yours isnt. Just wondering why you choose not to? thanks

I am really starting to like the idea of a remote turbo system the more i research on it.

Jakee- Many of the applications that I have seen all over the web today, have the turbo mounted after the rear axle. I noticed in your thread that yours isnt. Just wondering why you choose not to? thanks

There were several reasons but the main theory -
The hotter the exhaust gases, the faster their moving. When the exhaust gas begins to cool, the travel rate slows down. It's a known fact that exhaust gases cool as they travel thru the pipes. I mounted mine as close to the engine as possible to try and take advantage of the hotter gases.

Second - the charge piping is shorter.

The end result - I didn't get the "gain" I thought I would by doing this. There is another turbo explorer sport that mounted the turbo behind the rear axle and I still can't out-run him. He has meth injection and drag slicks but I figured I'd be closer to his times even without.

The longer charge pipe will cool the charge but not as much as STS is leading us to believe. You should still get an intercooler.

Here's my truck on street tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O4FexRQpKE

Just remember - the turbo option is a total custom job but it's worth it at the end. Keep researching and learning.

hey Jakee
when you purchased your universal kit from sts
did you have to purchase the upgrade for the blow off valves, pcv, and the piping with the silicon kit?
cause from what i understand from their site that the blow off valve etc. is not included with the 'universal kit'??

hey Jakee
when you purchased your universal kit from sts
did you have to purchase the upgrade for the blow off valves, pcv, and the piping with the silicon kit?
cause from what i understand from their site that the blow off valve etc. is not included with the 'universal kit'??

No, I purchased a tial BOV later on down the road. Technically, you don't have to have a BOV up to around 8 LBS of boost, but I personally wouldn't run without one. Just remember, the BOV goes before the MAF.

As for the PCV, I wouldn't suggest wasting money on the high-tech gadget STS sells. There are other ways to do this and if you get to that point I'll let you know what they are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the PCV for exactly?

Back