4.0 Sohc Rebuild In Progess! Pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Sohc Rebuild In Progess! Pics

I got the block back today....

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Well that looks great, and it was fast also. Now where are the 2.9 DOHC heads, J/K.

I bought a stock crankshaft from ford and ordered the sealed power overhaul kit.
which contains rings, bearing, gaskets, seals and oil pump. It will be here friday. I'm picking up the heads friday also....

Jamie

Cool, I love clean engine parts. Building an engine is a real man's fun.

This is something I'll be doing some day. I love the look of clean blocks, straight from the shop.

While guys I got the short block assembled with new crankshaft... Still waiting on heads, should be monday I hope. Here's some pictures of the progress so far... I will get more pictures and steps in the timing process. I found the timing tools on ebay new in case. I will be selling them when I am finished if anyone is interested... I will let it go for what I got in them. I've got all new timing components... So far I have injoyed this project.

Heres the ford parts numbers....

Primary timing set...............2U3Z-6D256-CA
Right cassette...................7U3Z-6A257-A
Left cassette.....................4L2Z-6M290-AA
Balance shaft tensioner........1L2Z-6L266-AA
Balance shaft guide.............F77Z-6K297-BC
Balance shaft chain.............F77Z-6268-BC

Other parts
Head bolts.........................F7TZ-6065-AC
Rod bolts...........................1L2Z-6214-AB
Rod bolt nuts......................F77Z-6212-AA
Oil pump pickup....................F77Z-6622-AA

Picture029.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Does anyone know if they sell just the bearings for the balance shaft... They have alittle play in them. Ford only sells the balance shaft assembly. Someone told me that sealed power sold the bearings and th bushing... I cannot find any info on it online...Thanks for any info.

Jamie

What special tools are needed?
Sadly I'm a retired Ford Journeyman and I can't remember.

special tool kit to set up the timing. Holding tools used to hold crank and cams in place and a tool to hold chain guides tight during the timing process...

Well i think i found the bearings for the balance shaft through sealed power. I hope they are talking about the balance shaft rather than the jack shaft. They were $25.00 we will see when they come in. I hope so... it will save me lots of $$$$$.

Jamieh560 - Thanks for the info you've gave this far. Looks good to me!

Great information. I am about to start an engine re-build on a 4 liter 2000 SOHC from an Explorer. I have been looking for a more aggressive cam. Living in California, it needs to look legal and pass the sniff test. Did you find any cams during your search for parts. My goal is to get 250 HP. The JBA Headers, chip, cold air intake and ignition upgrades will get me about 20-25 HP (if you believe all of the literature). Need to figure out the last 20 and still keep it off the smog police radar.

Great information. I am about to start an engine re-build on a 4 liter 2000 SOHC from an Explorer. I have been looking for a more aggressive cam. Living in California, it needs to look legal and pass the sniff test. Did you find any cams during your search for parts. My goal is to get 250 HP. The JBA Headers, chip, cold air intake and ignition upgrades will get me about 20-25 HP (if you believe all of the literature). Need to figure out the last 20 and still keep it off the smog police radar.

No I could not find aftermarket cams themselves. supersixmotorsports.com sells regrind cams but they required with there stage 3 heads. You should be able to get close to that. As far as california emissions I don't know alot about it. If you install simple bolt ons intake, exhaust, electric fan, 70mm throttle body and tune will get you closer to your goal.

Engine Assembled!!! Pictures

Engine assembled... hope to get it back in the explorer next weekend!

S5030123.jpg

S5030124.jpg

S5030125.jpg

S5030126.jpg

S5030127.jpg

S5030129.jpg

S5030130.jpg

S5030131.jpg

S5030132.jpg

S5030133.jpg

S5030134.jpg

S5030135.jpg

S5030137.jpg

Does anyone happen to know the ford part # for the rear jackshaft plug??? Ford parts man cannot find it? I might just get a regular 1 1/2" core plug and put in it.... Thanks Jamie

Mate, This thread is awesome so much info, a picture tells a thousand words and thank you for the parts numbers .I believe the rear number for the plug is cover cap F77Z-6C341-AA Once again thanks Jamie Just wandering is the front LH tensioner the same as the RH rear Cheers from Down Under Barry

Very nice Jamie, it looks great.

Ford part number F77Z-6C341-AA is the spacer between oil pump idler gear and sprocket. I ordered it all ready.... :) both the tentensor and guides are different on both sides...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks CDW6212R!

Back