Underdrive Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC Motor | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Underdrive Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC Motor

Three monts use of the UDP and I can report all is well.

I have had absolutely no problems with this mod.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
Anyone else gone underdrive?

What are your results?
Yep. long time ago, works great :D

I'm Thinking about it.

I just resolved an issue with beat fuel injectors- so I am back in the game. Will Install the 73mm C&L from Hensonperformance soon and have the Diablo Recalibrated. Also thinking about having the TB ported and installing a TB spacer with the swirl design.

Al, if you are experiencing hotter coolant temps why not try water Wetter or there is an additive from summit racing that looks good.

In Florida I am sure you could bump down to a 60/40 water coolant blend.

I ran Water Wetter with good results, the motor was visibly cooler, Temp gauge dropped significantly lower and the A/C was much cooler. No OBD-II scanner here so I cannot comment on actual temps. According to the gauge though looked like about 20 degrees.

Its worth a try.

Al, if you are experiencing hotter coolant temps why not try water Wetter or there is an additive from summit racing that looks good.

I am not having any temperature issues.

I have used water wetter ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164439&highlight=water+wetter ).

In Florida I am sure you could bump down to a 60/40 water coolant blend.

I use less coolant than that; 80-20.

I ran Water Wetter with good results, the motor was visibly cooler, Temp gauge dropped significantly lower and the A/C was much cooler. No OBD-II scanner here so I cannot comment on actual temps. According to the gauge though looked like about 20 degrees.

How is that possible when using a t stat?

Thanks.

I just ordered the injectors, rebuilt stockers from Fredness- specd in at 1.4%. I am also going to put in new mounting grommets that mount the injector in the block.

When I can get them installed and retuned I will post all the info. Have to save up for the installation work, C&L and retune.

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I can now turn some decent numbers on the dyno.

NOW, I know you!
Never thought to get your board handle... Doh.

Speaking of water wetter, I ran 100% water and just put in wetter. The guage dropped below the water symbol...like its fully visable now. The needle is no longer dead middle. I have no problems at all (I live in florida where it doesnt get cold)

One question...if it ever gets below 32% here (VERY rare, think it happened once last year) will that do anything?

Below 32 F freezing is "possible".

I would recommend using an 80% water 20% coolant mix. That is what I run.

Good luck ......

You also need antifreze to keep your cooling system from coroding.

Yes, it provides something like 25x the corrosion protection of anitfreeze.

I ran Water Wetter with good results, the motor was visibly cooler, Temp gauge dropped significantly lower and the A/C was much cooler. No OBD-II scanner here so I cannot comment on actual temps. According to the gauge though looked like about 20 degrees..

Please explain how this is possible when using a t stat.

Have you ever thought to retry the stock coils for a test? New plugs often change idle quality, .065 is a good sized gap. I'd like to know that more can be had with a coil swap. How much was that coil pack, do you recall?

BTW, the freezing issue above; it would likely take 20 degrees or more colder than the coolant rating, to do any harm. I like the Water Weter also, I've noticed two vehicles of mine have the gauge read lower afterwords.

The coolant runs a temperature based on outside air, the cooling system/coolant, and thermostat. If the coolant isn't really efficient, it will run a bit hotter than the thermostat, more so than a quicker more efficient coolant. Not much, but some; the later vehicles will not show as much of an effect. Older vehicles, say pre 1995, will show more of an effect by Water Weter, those cooling systems run much hotter than the thermostats rating. Regards,

Have you ever thought to retry the stock coils for a test? New plugs often change idle quality, .065 is a good sized gap. I'd like to know that more can be had with a coil swap. How much was that coil pack, do you recall?,

No, I have not swapped coils.

The new coil pack was $95.

Thanks Al, have you decided on a best PCM programming tune? Where do you fall in the octane/performance preferences? My 99 SOHC 4x4 will be all low speed work usage, lots of idling and 0-30mph accelerations. I'll definately be using low octane gas.

Curiously my 98 V8 Mountaineer mileage has gone up a bunch lately. I changed to the 99 Limited 16" tires six months ago, but the mileage jumped about three months ago. My all around mileage had been solidly around 11.5, and now it's well in the 13.5-14.3mpg range. I have had an engine code for about eight months now, a slow O2 sensor response time.

What flasher do you have, and did Doug set it up for you? Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back