• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Ticking Noise

batramsey

Reaction score
City, State
Seneca, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hello All, I'm new to the site and I hate to post another engine ticking question as I see this has been covered a lot in the forums, but I just can't find anything exactly like what I'm experiencing. I have a 2002 Ex with 4.0 SOHC. About 2 weeks ago, I heard a ticking upon startup that lasted maybe a minute or two. Happened on 2 different occassions, both cold mornings. Then yesterday, the tick reemerged and did not go away. I was about 60 miles from home and the ticking noise remained until about the last 5 miles of the trip. Ticking increased/decreased according to the motor RPM's. Once home I let the car sit for about an hour. Started it up and the ticking was still gone. An hour later I had to run an errand and the ticking was back. Now this morning the ticking is gone. I've read the threads on timing chain "rattles" and loose spark plug wire ticks, but it seems that with all of these issues the problem would not come and go like my problem is. Also, I would not describe this noise as a rattle (marbles in a can) the way people have described the timing chain issue. To me it sounds like a lifter tick (I know this engine doesn't have lifters), just trying to be as clear about the sound as possible. The car's due for an oil change, so I'm taking care of that this morning. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions. If it continues to do this I will probably take it to the dealership to see what they think, but I hate to go see those guys without having some clue as to what the problem is. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the problem you are having is the timing chain tensioners. I've replaced mine three times and the problem always returns. I've just learned to live with it. Don't think Ford has ever found a solution for the tensioners and don't think they ever will.

Thanks Rick. It sounds like the timing chain is the most common cause of this problem, but I wasn't sure if the noise from that would come and go like mine is doing? Also, a lot of people were describing the chain tensioner problem as sounding like marbles in a can but mine is a very distinct ticking. Did changing the oil/filter ever calm your tensioner noise down? I changed the oil just about an hour ago and when I first started the engine, the ticking was present but not as loud and went away really quick. I tried to listen more carefully to determine where it was coming from and it sounded like it was under the intake/valve cover on the passenger side. But I wasn't using a stethoscope so my ear could have been deceiving me. Anyway, I just went out and started the engine again (had been off about 1/2 hour) and there was no ticking at all. Guess I'll keep watching it for now. Thanks again.

I have a 1994 with the OHV engine that has done exactly to the "T" of what and how you described.

Engine ticking

I have a 1997 with 154,000 miles that just started doing the same thing after the last oil change. I have no clue what it is. At first I thought it might be an exhaust leak or catlytic converter rattle, but there seems to be no real rhyme or reason as to when the noise may appear except when you have a cold start. After that, it may appear after you stop at a store for a minute and then retart the engine. If you shut the engine off and restart it, sometimes the noise goes away, other times it stays. It's crazy.

Back