4.0 SOHC Timing cover gasket advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Timing cover gasket advice

gnosis

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4WD SOHC
Hi there.

I'm currently putting my engine back together after doing the timing chains and I need some advice about the timing cover gasket. I noticed that the original metal one seemed to be bonded in place with something rather difficult to strip off the mating faces. It's a black substance that looks suspiciously like RTV. There is no mention in the workshop manual of using RTV on the faces of the gasket when bolting up the timing cover. I was wondering if people use the metal gasket dry or with some type of sealant / gasket dressing over the gasket's entire surface, as seems to have been done to mine when originally assembled. I don't want to bolt it together dry and then have it leak. Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: I am not referring to the beads of RTV in the corners of the timing cover lower surface that mates with the pan. That clearly requires RTV in those locations.

I really don't remember what I did about the gasket when I fixed my timing chains but i probably gave it a wipe with Permatex Ultra Blue, I usually do.

When used correctly RTV is very good on gaskets.

Your rear diff uses RTV instead of a gasket and I just found out the Mitsubishi 4G93 engine in my son's Lancer uses RTV for the sump gasket. Yes.
I just had the sump off and did the gasket in RTV and it's holding the oil in.

I changed the little round o ring ones that go around the bolts, but I just wiped off the reusable one and bolted them back on. My kit did come with a spare set but my originals look fine and haven't caused an issue yet.

Back