• Register Today It's free!

4.0 top 300hp?

HSlough

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 four door
Can the 1st gen 4.0 top 300 hp? Curious what this motor can do, Ive been told there is just no hope for this that its as good as it gets from the factory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's not a lot you can do to get above the factory 160hp. You can spend a LOT of money trying, but your best bet is to just make sure everything is operating properly on your stock engine and stay that route. If you want more hp, you're looking at a motor swap. The 5.0 will work in a 1st Gen with the least amount of modification, and anything that'll work on a 5.0 Mustang motor will work on a 5.0 in an explorer!

Look up JD's trucks, his build treads will give you an idea of what it takes to get there.

Thanks guys. I put new head on my 4.0 and it just feels sluggish

Which model year head? Did you change pistons, cams, valves to?

They were repacement heads from odessa and no that was it

What gear ratio are you running, and what size tire?

My new heads are using a quart of oil every tank. Had a compression test done and #1 was 130 dry and 175 wet.

I'm running factory size tires in Factory gearing haven't done anything to it yet

Check the "One Mean 4.0" thread stickied at the top of this section.

There's very limited aftermarket support for these motors. If you went full out with a supercharger, port and polished heads, custom tune, cam etc. you might get close. But you're going to spend a lot. And who knows how reliable it'll be at the end of the day.

A 5.0 swap is probably less money and more reliable at the end of the day

Can the 1st gen 4.0 top 300 hp? Curious what this motor can do, Ive been told there is just no hope for this that its as good as it gets from the factory.
Starters,300hp at crank or to the ground?? Big big difference, especially if auto and 4x4..auto and 4x4 will eat 20%ish of that 160 hp from factory. .also the explorer is a big HEAVY truck not made to be a big hp race car..200 Rwhp is pretty easy to get (to ground) any more and your gonna be dropping ALOT of money into it..

But remember hp isnt what these motor are know for,its TQ and thats what moves you..

A fyi my current motor makes around 300 rwhp on boost alone which dont sound like much but im beating corvettes and hanging with Vipers...just an example that it's not all about horsepower

Should've done some research first and could have done a cam and 95tm or 98 tm heads..those heads would have increased compression to 10:1

I agree with the others asking about tires and gears..you may have POS gears..explorers really need ATLEAST 3.73 or 4.10 gears to get up and move outa its own way..check you door tag or rear end tag and let us know what it is..

Also is it 4 door?4x4?? Auto??

really all there is to do is super high compression pistons, cam, injectors, modded heads,and bullet proofing the engine so you can turbo it. it would still be able to daily well with the turbo rather than a super charger. all this may sound out of budget but you can get some good deals out there and a ebay turbo kit for around 600$ will do the trick really well pushing upwards of 15 pounds if the motor will handle it. now a 5.0 swap is the way to go for maximum power but the high horse v6 sounds like more fun to me and probably gonna happen to my build. but that's my 2 cents i enjoyed reading the thread.

My new heads are using a quart of oil every tank. Had a compression test done and #1 was 130 dry and 175 wet.
I had that same problem when I changed heads on my 87 2.9L ranger. Turned out to be a valve spring retainer wasn't installed correctly. One day it would run fine, the next day it had no power. An intake valve wasn't closing all the way so it was sucking oil up into the intake. I was getting 28 mpg on the highway though.

I think Josh has it right, or at least he's pointing in the right direction.Id also check the valve seal...

Could be the cast guides. .especially if you used a stainless valve,like SI..these heads need custom bronze guides installed

Back