4.0L Engine Click

brutedawg20

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone.
First post on this forum. I have a 2008 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L. 64,000 miles on it. Bought it used jan 1 of 2012 (43K mi at the time).

This morning I started it up in the driveway to warm it up (live in MI). I noticed a fairly loud and consistent Click, Click, Click...... By the time i left for work 10-15 minutes later the click was no longer consistent. a few clicks then a long pause then a few more clicks. So as it was warming up the click went away. I originally thought this could be a lifter or something. I have heard it before. But I'm reading manifold crack problems, mostly with the 4.6L. Is this common withe the 4.0L?

Thanks for any help.

No, the 4.0 do not have the manifold problems. It sounds like the engine was just very cold and you might want to run a better oil for the very cold temperatures.

Are you using 5W 30 oil? If not, then try a good brand 5W 30 oil. That should help with the "click". Did it throw a CEL code?

thanks guys.
I use motorcraft oil....I take it to the dealership every 5,000 miles for oil changes.

Back