4.0L V6 SOHC P0171 P0174 Lean Codes- Common Cause | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L V6 SOHC P0171 P0174 Lean Codes- Common Cause

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
While there are a few common cause for these codes on the vehicles ( I have a few videos on this already) this one is commonly overlooked as a potential cause of a rough idle, rolling idle and of course the lean codes P0171 P0174. Besides the quick fix in this video I show you how the pcm reacts to this tube being disconnected and why the codes set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have those codes and two mechanics and a $100 smoke test pointed toward upper and/or lower intake gaskets. Fix is not cheap.

I have those codes and two mechanics and a $100 smoke test pointed toward upper and/or lower intake gaskets. Fix is not cheap.

You can do this yourself. It looks more intimidating than it really is. My brother in law was able to do his for a first repair to their Mountaineer.

Just make sure you use the right torx bit. One too small will "work" but my strip the head out. The proper tool should fit very snug.

Take pictures as you go.

Depends on what you call cheap. Felpro upper/lower gasket sets are like $50 from Rock Auto. An independent shop here in Dallas quoted me $300. Not to bad. But I finally did it myself... took a whole afternoon but I was slow and meticulous. Hey, I'm a chef and did it. If I can, you can.

Are you sitting down? I was quoted $1200 for both, and it wasn't dealership either.

It is at most a 6 hour job for an inxperienced mechanic. Saw it for myself.

This included running the intakes through a soap based parts washer. Whoever quoted 1200 is smoking crack

He said he will put in new upper and lower manifolds because he doesn't want to take a chance! I know they are plastic but new manifolds?

He said he will put in new upper and lower manifolds because he doesn't want to take a chance! I know they are plastic but new manifolds?

All you need are the gaskets.

Back