• Register Today It's free!

4 10" fiberglass box

jimster502

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Im planning on building a custom fiberglass subwoofer box for my 4 dr 97 xlt. The components Ill be using are 2 10" kicker comps and 2 10" kicker cvrs both pairs powered by 2 seperate amps. Im planning on building the box that will hold the four subwoofers together, 2 comps on each side( 1 on left & 1 on right) in a seperated sealed chamber for each, and the cvrs in the center with ports. Im looking forward making the box take all the width space of the interior (including the wheel whells) but not all depth wisee space. The recomended cubic feet for the cvr subs in a vented enclosure is 1.25-1.75 & the recommended cubic feet for one comp sub in a sealed enclosure is 1-2.4. I was wondering if anyone could help me get the measurements of the box to get the max cubic feet for all 4 subs because I have no idea what so ever how to measure the volume of a fiberglass enclosure, only regular squared boxes :( . I will post some pictures of the trunk of my x and some diagrams or somewhat of what im trying to do tomorrow. Any feedback, comments, etc will be appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should not mix and match different types of subs. That will sound like ass. You should do the same woofers, all ported or sealed.

Well what I was trying to do was use the sealed enclosured comp's as midbass or juss for regular bass and the ported cvr's for the actuall loud bass. And well the only reasons I got these different two pairs of subs are because they were gifts. I was actually gonna buy 2 more comps for $50 but thought bout it and well icould just use the $100 to buy another amp for either the cvr or comps. I know how to fiberglass and everything but i just dont know how to measure the cubic feet in a fiberglass enclosure.

You shouldn't use subwoofers as midbass. Trust me man, run one sub or the other. You'll be so much louder.

Do you live in TN? If so i have a box for 4 12" and will sell it for cheap!!!

I also agree dont mix

Burns, sorry no. I live in southern california :) and ihave 10's not 12's

Well i guess so. I guess ill just end up selling my cvr and the box and buying 2 more comps :D
So moving on, can anyone help me how to calculate cubic feet in a fiberglass enclosure?

For example, im diggin this box by 2kv8

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178393&page=34

& also J-RodG's box even more

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2466128#post2466128

Im really liking J-RodG's box and will try to make one like that but without the amp rack stuff and what not. Can anyone help me with porting the box? shuld ijust use seperated chambers for each subwoofer? I want the box to be tuned for loudness. Idont really care of the sound quality. I want something flashy/good looking yet LOUD :)

I don't believe the first box is fiberglass. That can be achieved without doing fiberglass.

yeah I know and Im leaning more on the second box since the first box looks more like 12's and well i think thatll require box reconfigurating or something but forsure im more interested in the four sub box. Only im gonna make it a little bit different and use fiberglass instead of just the plain ol' full mdf box :p

Fiberglass is a lot of work, and if you don't know how to do it yourself, it's going to cost you quite a lot of money.

I compltely disagree with not running 2 kinds of subs.. I have done this for years and had great results. In my Cutlass i had 2 12" CVRs, and 2 10" Comps, the comps were my mid bass, and the CVRs were in a slot ported box tuned for 34hz for my deep bass. They sounded fantastic together, and since your wanting to amp them separately then you can tune a set at a time to get the results you want. Go for it, build a MDF frame or mockup before you get into the glass.

I don't believe the first box is fiberglass. That can be achieved without doing fiberglass.

The box is just covered with gray vinyl and has 12" Kicker CVR's.

stocked -Awsome! So its actually a good idea then? How would do you tune a box port? Ive actually got a mental image in my head of how i want the box to be.

Back