4.10 or 4.56 with 33" tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.10 or 4.56 with 33" tires?

Francis

Reaction score
I'm going to order the superlift 5.5 for my truck maybe this week. I want to put 33 inches tires on it with the susp.

I made some calculations and since I have 3.27 gears on my truck wit 28" tires the best ratio for 33" would be 4.10...I think...

I do 90%(off-road on week-ends) of street and higway with my truck since it's my daily driver.

I would like to have some opinions on wich gearing to choose: 4.10 or 4.56... From some who as experienced them...

Thank you guys...!

------------------
Francis Lavoie

92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My calculations agree with yours. At 4.10 you will actually be turning a few more RPMs but the larger tires are going to offer much more rolling resistance. Your "seat of the pants" feel should be pretty identical to your current setup.

The question for you is are you satisified with the power you have now. An OHV with a 3.27 diff sounds kinda anemic to me. I am running 285/75r16 (equivalent to 33's) with a 4.10 rearend, but I have the SOHC and about fifty more horses than you. I couldn't imagine turning those tires with fifty less horses.

I think most would agree that you are going to be more satisfied if you go to a 4.56. You'll get more power and I also have a feeling that your MPG would even be better since you won't be lugging that 160hp OHV as much. A little more power + a little more MPG; this is a no-brainer, right?

Hopefully someone running 33's with an OHV will chime in to help you soon. In the meantime, hope I helped just a little.

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
~~~~~~~~~
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Mods listed in my Explorer Registry post 7/8/99
Dead Link Removed "What the heck is he doing out here in that thing?"

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 03-26-2000).]

I have the 4.56's with the 33"s and I like them. Like yourself 95% of my driving is on highway, with a 30 mile commute to work each way every day. They provide good power and I haven't really had a problem in that respect. The mainr eason I got 4.56 is 4.10 would do, but I didn't want to regret it afterwords and then have to pay more to go to 4.56.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Francis, I agree with Matt.
If you run 4.10 and 33`s, better get used to staying in the far right lane on the freeway!My Explorer 93 has the 4.10 pushrod V6 with 5 speed trans.
31`s 4.10 is what i have and it is not enough for deep sand or mud.
you will spend a lot of time in 4low when you carry heavy load because in 4 high with a 5 speed your clutch will reminde you of
the inbalance with tires, gear ratio and transmission.
I have several upgrades to better the performance but next time...hello 4.56!!
....nuf said!!! "E"

------------------
93xlt,4.0,5Speed,2.5 lift,4.10gears, headers,catback,31M/T BFG,K&N..........

I dissagree with you guys. I have 4.10 gears and 33" tires. I changed it from 3.27 gears with 235/75R15 tires. I have no problem at all on the highway or off road with my stock unmodified 4.0L V6. I can easily maintain speeds well above the posted speed limits when loaded with all my off road and camping gear, even through the mountains and when towing my trailer. I have also towed a very heavy U-Haul trailer(over 4000 pounds) through the mountains (almost 600 miles) and I had no troubles. I am extremely happy with my 4.10 gears.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Technically Velveeta isn't REALLY cheese... it's a cheese food...
The stuff that other cheeses eat... I guess.

Hey, Paul youve got(had I guess by now) an automatic in your vehicle and Ewald has a five speed, that could account for the difference in your opinions. I believe that the torque converter in the automatics provides extra effective gear multiplication than does the direct drive clutch in the five speed. The only time that the auto would be direct is when the TC is locked up. I am getting out of my knowelege range here so somepone else may be better able to enlighten.

That said, I believe that manual(5 sp) vehicles need more gear than a similar automatic vehicle.

I am going through the gear choice delema now myself and have decided that I will get the 4.11 since I have an automatic. If I had a manual I would definately run the 56's. I will have 32"(31.7" actual)tires eventually. Although I reserve the right to change my mind at any point and usually do!

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

I just went off roading Saturday for the first time since I got my 4.56 and 33s together(pictures forthcoming) and I was impressed. My truck made it up a few steep grades and through some deep mud that I would have never been able to do before, and keep in ming I'm running the stock LS. I'm sure 4.10 is pretty good, but when you are spending as much money as regearing costs, you might as well go with 4.56, Mine is a daily driver also, and it works great!
Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
Me too. Check out my web page.
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

With those size tires and 4:56 gears "Gjarret" mentioned that the gas mileage would be better. Would this be the same with stock tires? I can't afford both at the same time...lift and tires or gears. I plan on running the gears first and then the lift and tires. Will the new gears afect my gas milage any?

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

Hooo-weeee..... I don't about that with stock tires. I bet you'll feel like you are staying in second gear all the time! Do you have overdrive? I felt comfortable saying fuel economy would be better with a 4.56/33" setup but I have no idea what that would do with stock tires.

Maybe someone has done it one stage at a time like you plan to and can help.

I have the 5-speed manual. 280,000 miles. Just looking for some options so I can do it step by step. Once it's all done I plan on buying another explorer. one for town and the other for off road. Anyhting would help at this point. but thanks for the info.

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

Back