• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Mods

toddyfiveo

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Adrenalin
Has anyone done any 3V mustang upgrades to their ST? I was just looking at this the other day and it got me thinking. It seems like upgrading to the mustang intake and throttle body would add some hp. Even going all out and installing the Ford racing intake and hot rod cams. Also my exhaust manifold has a leak, it goes away when warmed up. I got me thinking about what would be involved in using mustang headers or F150 5.4 headers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to be adding Detroit Rocker cams, K&N CAI and tune in the next few weeks.
The shop doing the work didn't think switching the intake and throttle body was worth it so I am leaving it alone for now.

I don't have the funds to supercharge it. I just want s little more out of it. I've done the CAI and having my resonator removed next week. Brendpeed tune is next on the list and then I guess I'll start looking at cams.

Like you I just want to get a little more out of the engine.
Just enough so it is able to get out of its own way.
It's sad when you get blown away from a light by one of the new ecoboost twin turbo I4's Ford is putting in its lineup.

To be honest I probably would only do the CAI and tune so the throttle response and shifts are faster and smoother.
But since the motor was going to be apart to replace the cam phasers it seemed to be the right time to have it done.

If that isn't enough for me next on the list may be a set of 4:10 gears.

The supercharger is a huge expense, no doubt. But that instant torque... !! The Kenne Bell on my 95 Mustang made it feel like a big block.

I may do a Brenspeed tune. I have an xcal2 unmarried from my last Mustang. I know a tune on the 4.6 can make it feel more agile. I loved the result on my 2006 Mustang. I have no complaints about the power of the truck when driving it nicely, but when you have to get on it.... well.... .... I found that I really just don't need to do that at this power level. hahahha

Did they say anything to you about loss of torque down low with those cams? I had not even considered cams in this beast.

Toddy: I almost had my resonator removed last week. Still considering it. I really like the sound (on youtube anyway). I don't mind putting the money into a good exhaust system, but I am not sure I like any of the aftermarket enough. I want it to be quiet, but still know I have a v8. I was told that removing the resonator will produce a sound quieter than the flowmaster 70 series. It would be great if you could do some before and after sound clips and let us know what you think.

Did they say anything to you about loss of torque down low with those cams? I had not even considered cams in this beast.
Yes, it will loose some low end torque. That's why I may end up with the 4:10's.
But before I go spending more money I want to see how it runs.

Understood. Well, you will have some people wondering when they hear that thing at idle. :)

Has anyone done any 3V mustang upgrades to their ST? I was just looking at this the other day and it got me thinking. It seems like upgrading to the mustang intake and throttle body would add some hp. Even going all out and installing the Ford racing intake and hot rod cams. Also my exhaust manifold has a leak, it goes away when warmed up. I got me thinking about what would be involved in using mustang headers or F150 5.4 headers.

I bought my 2008 Ford Adrenalin about 2 months ago!
i have the 4.6L V8 3v AWD K&N CAI and flowmaster 40 (no resonator) and a SCT X4 tuned my Torrie at fast parts network. ( Love the Tune!!! it shifts so hard and shaved off seconds in my 0-60

I am looking into new mods. i need to replace my manifold i have a leak so i can try any headers let me know what might fit i will order them ASAP.
I don't have the money for a supercharger. so i am looking for any other kinda mods i can do!

:usa: The Mustang intake has slightly larger runners and will shift the torque a little in the rpm band and the stock ( Mustang ) throttlebody has right at about the same area as a Zabtek overbored throttlebody. I would not change the intake unless maybe a gear change has been done. I have been working on a big bore 5.0l engine that will get a Mustang intake and twin 62mm throttlebody. The added cubes will work much better with the Mustang intake manifold on a heavy vehicle. My current mods are as follows. Zabtek throttlebody, trimmed IMRC butterflies, custom ground Comp NSR cams for torque, 2 1/2" tubing out of cats to a single 3" exhaust and Magnaflow muffler. I also have a K/N fipk and a Brenspeed tune. I am working on tubular manifolds to replace the stock cast manifolds. These should wake it up nicely. I also have the Steeda underdrive pullies and an electric fan conversion. Nothing I did hurt mileage at all, but, after the electric fan conversion and underdrive pullies my mileage jumped 1.8 mpg average on a trip I take several times a year. The truck has caught more than one unsuspecting victims too... :usa:

:usa: The Mustang intake has slightly larger runners and will shift the torque a little in the rpm band and the stock ( Mustang ) throttlebody has right at about the same area as a Zabtek overbored throttlebody. I would not change the intake unless maybe a gear change has been done. I have been working on a big bore 5.0l engine that will get a Mustang intake and twin 62mm throttlebody. The added cubes will work much better with the Mustang intake manifold on a heavy vehicle. My current mods are as follows. Zabtek throttlebody, trimmed IMRC butterflies, custom ground Comp NSR cams for torque, 2 1/2" tubing out of cats to a single 3" exhaust and Magnaflow muffler. I also have a K/N fipk and a Brenspeed tune. I am working on tubular manifolds to replace the stock cast manifolds. These should wake it up nicely. I also have the Steeda underdrive pullies and an electric fan conversion. Nothing I did hurt mileage at all, but, after the electric fan conversion and underdrive pullies my mileage jumped 1.8 mpg average on a trip I take several times a year. The truck has caught more than one unsuspecting victims too... :usa:

What fan did you use and do you have any write ups?

Got the truck back on Monday.
No more knock now that the cam phasers have been replaced however I'm still waiting for the tune from Brenspeed and with the NA cams it's running real rough.
Hopefully they send me the tune by end of day Friday so I can upload it on Saturday. Thankfully I don't need the truck during the week.

For anyone wondering about the Ford Racing valve covers fitting the 4.6L in the Explorer you can rest easy...

354d35e99ac2907566eba49da9766727_zps451d0617.jpg

b9fee79dc04c1ac69d0f80943c3cf894_zps64cdc13e.jpg

I think I my try dressing it up with the 4.6 replica of the 5.0 intake and fuel rail covers come spring to clean it up a bit more.

Great! You know you need to post a video now.

Got the Brenspeed tune emailed to me this morning and uploaded tonight.
What a difference in the way it runs and I think there may still be room for improvement!
Idle is a little low (between 500 and 600 rpm) and the truck shakes a little when at a stop like it may stall but hasn't.
I'm loving how it performs so far with the cams and tune!
Don't get me wrong. Its no race truck by any means but at least now it gets up and goes and that's really all I was looking to accomplish :D

Great. How does the transmission perform with that tune?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shifts seem firmer and quicker then before but not a huge change from stock.
Throttle response still has a little of the hesitation before it kicks in. I was expecting instant response but that isn't the case.
I plan on talking to Brenspeed to see if both can be adjusted.

Forgot to mention that I was almost able to break the tires loose from a stop but the stability control kicked in.
That's something that wasn't at all possible before.

Edit: the SCT has a 0-60 performance test that measures hp and braking distance.
I need to find a remote road somewhere to play around with it.

Back