• Register Today It's free!

4.6L vs 4.0L?

dndsam

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
I currently have 2 Explorers with 4.0L and have had several others along the way with the 4.0L. Seems to be a really good engine, and very reliable and fairly easy for a DIYer to perform basic maintenance, however when I test drove a new 4.6L Explorer, it just seemed to be a quieter, more refined engine. I had a 2002 SuperCrew with the 4.6L and it was a really good engine as well, in that vehicle.

What are the pros and cons of one over the aside from horsepower and torque?

What would you buy if you were in the market and why?

I am really torn between the two because of the good luck I have had with the 4.0L, but the 4.6L sure is smoother and quieter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't just seem quieter and more refined, it really is. I'm glad you've had good luck with the 4.0 but it's not really that good of an engine. Honestly, a jackshaft? how many chains? That's a great idea, because everybody knows that more moving parts, chains, and friction makes a smooth, durable, reliable engine. But I shouldn't complain too loud, my 4.0 might hear me and crap out.

I have no experience with or knowledge of the 4.0, but have owned a few 4.6L V8s, including the one in my current 2002 Ex.

Overall, the 4.6 is a decent engine, not troublesome - actually in the over 250K I've put on three of them, I've never done anything but change the oil. Some have had trouble with the cam timing chains, but so far not me, including one engine to over 100K miles.

The 4.0ohv engines found in the early gen Explorers are nearly bulletproof, but I wouldn't say the same for the SOHC version. Actually, I'm not entirely sure about the SOHC that was used in 3rd gens, but I know the one that was in 2nd gens was prone to timing chain cassette failure that could result in major problems. The 4.6 is not flawless either though. There have been a lot of problems with the earlier 4.6s blowing plugs, but this was addressed early and as of 2003 the heads came with more threads. However, another spark plug issue was soon identified. This time, plugs were breaking off in the head. I don't know if this is still an issue with the latest 4.6s, but from my research on Mustangs, I found this was a problem in Mustangs, F150s, Expeditions, etc. I don't remember reading anything specifically about Explorers, but I'm sure they were also affected if the others were.

The bottom line is that there is no perfect engine out there. Each and every single one has its quirks. I prefer a V8 if for nothing more than the sound. In the end, the fuel consumption difference between the two is negligible, so I go with the V8 when possible.

I havent owned a V8 in many years and really miss it! I would take the 4.6 any day over the 4.0. Not just the power, but aftermarket options and not much of a diff in mpg makes it a no brainer to me. I have the 4.0 OHV, great engine, but turtle fast and mpg sucks.

this is my first v8 ever ( i am a 4 banger guy). but i am impressed with the power. biggest thing i read about when i bought my 04 was that the v6 is very noisy and basically the same gas mileage and less power. so i went with the v8.

water pump done at 25k miles ( yes you heard that right).

i did the belt tensioner pulley. Just replaced the pulley not the whole tensioner as it had a bearing going out (50k). Wasnt that hard.

overall i am happy with it. I really am not looking forward to changing spark plugs, but it cant be that bad.

I opted for the 4.6L over the 4.0L basically because I felt the 4.0L is underpowered for these vehicles. I get 22mpg hwy with my 4.6L if I'm cruising at 72mph w/ AC on. The 4.6L also has great passing power when on the hwy.

It's been almost 2 months since I drove my 4.6L, and while I miss it terribly (mostly for the heated seats and digital climate control) the 5.0L in my 2nd gen seems to respond better to WOT.

I opted for the 4.6L over the 4.0L basically because I felt the 4.0L is underpowered for these vehicles. I get 22mpg hwy with my 4.6L if I'm cruising at 72mph w/ AC on. The 4.6L also has great passing power when on the hwy.

It's been almost 2 months since I drove my 4.6L, and while I miss it terribly (mostly for the heated seats and digital climate control) the 5.0L in my 2nd gen seems to respond better to WOT.

A little off topic but....... Hows your mounty coming along? is it getting fixed?

Back