• Register Today It's free!

4.88's in ifs d35?

patrick112390

Reaction score
City, State
Alpharetta ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
alright, so after calculating how much an sas would cost, i decided i would be happy building my ifs up. i searched here and found people doing 4.56 gears with 33's in the front..... i want to go 35's and 4.88 gears with a powertrax in the rear. this is my build plan if there is even room to stuff those gears in the front...
i will have months to do it, because i will be driving my mounty (DD) while building my gear set up at the shop/gathering funds periodically. i already have the axles out of the once previously mentioned....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHXS4mPbJ0c
-fun-machine. haha. what do yall think on the gear set up? anyone done 4.88's in front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

guesss nottttt lol.

Been down that road before and wasted about 850 bucks. But it also depends on what type of wheelin you are going to be doin. Good luck!

Been down that road before and wasted about 850 bucks. But it also depends on what type of wheelin you are going to be doin. Good luck!

care to elaborate on how it was a waste? :p:

wouldn't surprise me if he's talking about snapping half-shafts.

I'm not sure they could hold up to the abuse of 35's, 4.88's, and a heavy foot.

well i dont wheel it often anymore but it would be more towards the sluggishness i have with the 33's i have right now with 3.73s. i figure why do 4.56's when i might as well do 4.88s because i have enough room for 35's

what kind of wheeling?
slower stuff, more like trail-riding stuff, it'd be fine.

but too much skinny pedal probably would destroy the CVs in a hurry.
for being more of a mall-crawler (no offense, that's what my junk is :D) I don't think you'd have much for issues.

what kind of wheeling? slower stuff, more like trail-riding stuff, it'd be fine. but too much skinny pedal probably would destroy the CVs in a hurry. for being more of a mall-crawler (no offense, that's what my junk is :D) I don't think you'd have much for issues.
not so much a mall crawler, but every once in a while wheeler. I have not broken any driveline parts yet, and i have a 4406

not so much a mall crawler, but every once in a while wheeler. I have not broken any driveline parts yet, and i have a 4406

well... lower gearing = more torque to the axle shafts = higher chances of something going kablooie.

now, of course, if you're not very heavy footed when wheeling, it should be fine.

I've heard of people breaking shafts running 35's on a Dana60, and I've read of people with no issues running 38's on a Dana44.

it mostly has to do with how much care you take.

well... lower gearing = more torque to the axle shafts = higher chances of something going kablooie. now, of course, if you're not very heavy footed when wheeling, it should be fine. I've heard of people breaking shafts running 35's on a Dana60, and I've read of people with no issues running 38's on a Dana44. it mostly has to do with how much care you take.
you have a good point. . Im sure it will be a few months, but i will def keep yall posted on how it works out

care to elaborate on how it was a waste? :p:

It was on my 1990Toyota p/u, got it used and it was a stock 4x4 IFS truck. Thought to myself, that I would put on a 4" suspension lift which would allow me to clear 33"s. It was awesome for about 6 months..but.. I got tired of wheelin on river bottoms and wooded trails. I wanted something a little more aggressive and challenging then I relized that my truck wasn't built for it. The rear end was locked but the stock IFS just didn't have the flex and strength to carry me over the obstacles. ..like in the Rubicon and Fordyce trails ( Northern California). So I SAS'd the truck, locked the front, and went with 35's..... still a street legal daily driver.... NOT ONCE DID I REGRET IT. I loved how it handled on the street with the new solid front axel (SFA) and on the trail it was a beast.

Skyjacker 4" IFS suspension lift.... $700.00
Misc stuff... $150.00
33" Toyo M/T $1200.00 .....by the way an insane tire, oustanding on and off the road.

The SAS was about $3500-$3700 when it was all said done. That includes regearing front and rear to 4.88s, FULL rebuild and locking the SFA... new front driveline and replacing the crappy rear leaf springs and the 4" blocks that came with the IFS kit with heavy duty 4" leafs.

I had the SFA in my carport, took my time rebuilding it then after about 5 months of getting all of the parts for the SAS I did it in a weekend.. had to because it was a daily driver. I did all the welding and fabrication myself the only thing that I didnt do was the front and rear diffs... just don't have the tools and knowledge to set them up properly.

I was able to run the Rubicon all the way through hit every obstacle like soup bowl, old sluce with stock transfercase.... couldn't due little sluce... puss'd out also I really wasn't built up enough for it..lol... **** you can you tube videos for these obstacles if you have never seen them before..****

I understand that this isn't a ford, but I have walked in your shoes before. It is very addictive and fun hobby. Don't want to see another person waste the money that I did. Hope this helps and please let me know if you other questions.

Jeremy

any progress on your build?

any progress on your build?

its been forever but i am finally getting around to regearing this mule! mostly in part because my 33s are wearing out....=35's :D

used motive stock performance gears (4.88) and timken master bearing kit from accuautoparts.com . all i need now is to order the rear and set that up sometime here....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back