• Register Today It's free!

4 dr. leavs, soa and shackles

XPLORIN

Reaction score
City, State
OWINGS MILLS, MARYLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 SPORT
Question to all whom are so educated about this.....ive got a 98 sport 2wd. with the 3'' body lift, t/t up front and war 153 shackles in the rear.....just got the 4dr. leaves today.....is there a way i can put those on and do a soa? If so.....what do I need to do the soa??? And will I need new shocks??? I have the stock ones in right now. Evrybody has really helped me out so far, so any pointers would be great!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need to get new spring perches welded on, and you may or may not need new shocks, it all depensd on where you want to mount them and what you want to do with the truck. Do a search this question has been asked before there is alot of info out there about it.

Would I have to relocate my shock mounting points? Also.....where could I get the perches from?

Do you realize, if you do a SOA with 4dr leafs you will have 6-8" of lift in the back. What you gonna do to the front?

I'm not sure if the shocks are mounted the same way as 1st gens so I can't help you with that. You can get the perches at 4 Wheel Parts or other 4x4 shops, but you need to weld them on the top of the axle (or have someone else do it, that knows how to weld).
Also, I am wondering the same thing as AspenX

What can I do for the front????? Maybe some spindles?? Do they even make them for a 2wd???? I work at a body shop.....so welding is not a problem!! I am just not that great w/dealing with suspensions!! Any good ideas for the front?? What about the shock's?? And what about the angle of the drive shaft?

How about getting a lift kit. :confused:

I don't feel like spending the $1500 + on it right now.....I found a set of spindles online that say they will work for mine.....so that should work.....only problem looks like where the shock bolts up in the rear.....i don't know where I should put it.....anyone with a X with this done?????

If your explorer a 2wd? If it isnt 2wd the spindles will not work for you.

If you want to use stock mounting locations for the shocks you will need some longer shocks. I prefer some rancho's but you will have to measure to see what kind of trvel you get and buy a shock accordingly.

Yeah....it's a 2wd......would i still keep the lower shock mount under the axle or put it above?.....I have foung the perches.....off another x from the junk yard.....I am just wondering what kind of travel shock I should use......any suggestions? I probably will not go any higher after this!!

buy new perches, its not worth chancing old perches cut off an explorer in the junkyard....

On that likk.....which ones should I use? Is the measurement the width of the leaf? Would i have to buy new bolts and stuff or use the stock? Any ideas on the front or the lower shock mounts?

Anyone got any ideas on the rear lower shock mounts and the front spindles??

Have you ever tried searching the site? Everything you ask is on here hundreds of times. :rolleyes: Mount the rear lower shock to the swaybar mounts. :banghead: Now try a SEARCH for 2wd lift spindles.

OK.......thank you for the helpful information!!!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Thank you to all who helped me!!!!!!

Back